Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen-F

Olympus Pen-F The first Pen to integrate an electronic viewfinder

Old 18th April 2018

Thanked 1,013 Times in 770 Posts
Liked 4,528 Times in 1,475 Posts
Re: About to buy a Pen-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
So when doing ProCapture with C-AF the aperture is definitely opening and closing 18 times a second? I can't see it doing that but perhaps the eye can't see the movement.
Maybe it's different with ProCapture. TBH, I've not used that at all. You'd definitely see the aperture moving if it's stopping down/re-opening.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 18th April 2018

Liked 35 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Maybe it's different with ProCapture. TBH, I've not used that at all. You'd definitely see the aperture moving if it's stopping down/re-opening.
I tried setting it to f/8 and Diamond Sequential Low. I looked into the lens. Exactly as you say I could see the aperture opening and closing for every shot.

I then tried ProCap Low. Focus set to C-AF. I looked into the lens. I half-pressed. It closed the aperture.
As I continued to half-press it is taking photos at 18fps (although not storing them on the card) and it is focussing perfectly as I aim it close and far. But I could not see the aperture moving. A possible clue is that the camera is making a rythmic puttering noise all the time it is doing this.
If I then full press it continues unchanged, the aperture still isn't moving.

I am very very puzzled. There are two options possible.
1. The aperture is opening and closing so quickly I can't see it.
2. It is focussing C-AF perfectly at f/8.
Both seem very unlikely.
Old 18th April 2018

Quote:
I tried setting it to f/8 and Diamond Sequential Low. I looked into the lens. Exactly as you say I could see the aperture opening and closing for every shot.

I then tried ProCap Low. Focus set to C-AF. I looked into the lens. I half-pressed. It closed the aperture.
As I continued to half-press it is taking photos at 18fps (although not storing them on the card) and it is focussing perfectly as I aim it close and far. But I could not see the aperture moving. A possible clue is that the camera is making a rythmic puttering noise all the time it is doing this.
If I then full press it continues unchanged, the aperture still isn't moving.

I am very very puzzled. There are two options possible.
1. The aperture is opening and closing so quickly I can't see it.
2. It is focussing C-AF perfectly at f/8.
Both seem very unlikely.
What lens were you using? Some lenses are faster than others on aperture operation. However, I think even the fastest operating aperture will still be quite visible so the only explanation is that the camera is focusing stopped down. That's a possibility since focus movements at 18fps will be likely be small so it can probably keep up.

However, I think what we have here is yet another example (along with pretty much the rest of the AF system) of poor documentation. There is way too little information available on how the system works. The result is that owners end up doing a combination of reverse engineering and forming anecdotal beliefs. Neither is likely to be accurate!

Olympus should wise up and employ a good technical author to work with the engineers and produce something for the informed user. It may be too technical for some, but there will be a more-than-willing population of owners only too happy to interpret this sort of documentation and make it relevant to the rest of the user base.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 18th April 2018

The lens was the 12-40. But your question made me try it again, with the 75-300. One can see into the lens much more clearly and it definitely was not moving.

I agree completely with what you say.

So the answer is that after the initial focus wide open, C-AF focuses at f/8 (if it needs to).

So now we have an explanation of why f/8 is the smallest aperture allowed.

On the other hand we no longer have an explanation of why ProCap L is not allowed to work for Panasonic lenses (Other than a business decision. But why allow ProCap High then? I think there is something else that explains it but I have no idea what.)
Old 18th April 2018

Liked 99 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
OK - so a few notes about how the shutter works... bear with me....

Hope that helps!!
It helps enormously, thank you.

(I wonder if there's a way of copying / moving your piece to the Tutorials section of the forum so it can be found more easily in the future.)
Old 18th April 2018

Quote:

On the other hand we no longer have an explanation of why ProCap L is not allowed to work for Panasonic lenses (Other than a business decision. But why allow ProCap High then? I think there is something else that explains it but I have no idea what.)
Do Olympus support ALL their lenses on Pro Cap L? If not, then my suspicion is that only certain lenses can focus quickly enough to deal with the frame rate. It's reasonable that Olympus test their own lenses but don't bother for 3rd pairs.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 19th April 2018

Quote:
Do Olympus support ALL their lenses on Pro Cap L? If not, then my suspicion is that only certain lenses can focus quickly enough to deal with the frame rate. It's reasonable that Olympus test their own lenses but don't bother for 3rd pairs.
All M43 Olympus lenses are supported, yes.
But it isn't at all clear to me what tests exactly would be needed.