Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 12th September 2017

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
Liked 2,219 Times in 1,127 Posts
Salon des Refusés 2017

The three hour trip by train to Melbourne can be tedious yet yesterday resplendent golden wattle trees
brightened the day immensely. I tried to capture them with the phone but the images of course were blurred.
Sandra met me at Flinders Street and we lunched on the Yarra Bank, enjoying Beef Teriyaki on a bed of rice and colours on the river.

But the purpose of the trip was to visit the Salon des Refusés exhibition at the hotel Pan Pacific.
These are some of the portraits that didn't make the final cut for the coveted Archibald Prize for portraiture by an Australian Artist.

All camera phone images

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~ Calvin-
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (13th September 2017)
Old 13th September 2017

Liked 1,036 Times in 602 Posts
Re: Salon des Refusés 2017

Copyright being the issue it is these days, I'm surprised they let you photograph them.

i like No 3 best.
Old 13th September 2017

Liked 45 Times in 30 Posts

A Salon of Rejects ! I like the idea, but it would need to be a large place.

Looking at the pictures I see a number of keyboards and screens, so maybe the rejects are all photographed and thus need no hanging space ?

A writeup can be found here : http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...31-gxm0ec.html

David
Old 13th September 2017

Liked 1,289 Times in 791 Posts

What, no photo of the Beef Teriyaki?

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 14th September 2017

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
Liked 2,219 Times in 1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Copyright being the issue it is these days, I'm surprised they let you photograph them. i like No 3 best.
I'm not sure that copyright law applies to original paintings but there are laws against forgery - but it takes a highly skilled artist to reproduce one, and for these works, who would bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewi9 View Post
A Salon of Rejects ! I like the idea, but it would need to be a large place. Looking at the pictures I see a number of keyboards and screens, so maybe the rejects are all photographed and thus need no hanging space ?
A writeup can be found here : http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...31-gxm0ec.html David
Firstly the Pan Pacific Hotel at South Warf is massive and their gallery quite adequate to hang twice the number of pieces had that been necessary. Secondly, the keyboards were for public access to information about any of the artists and their exhibits, all of which are originals.
Thanks for that useful link, David, I wholeheartedly agree with the commentary. As for photography I got the green light from the attendants so long as flash was not used. The same rule applied at the National Gallery of Victoria during the Degas and Van Gogh exhibitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
What, no photo of the Beef Teriyaki?
Sorry, I am remiss for not photographing that delicious dish - so ravenous at the time that all I wanted was to "suck it up"!

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~ Calvin-