Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 6th September 2017

Liked 1,035 Times in 632 Posts
No more blown highlights

Sounds good to me
Read here: https://petapixel.com/2016/03/29/exp...s-film-photos/

on flickr
Old 6th September 2017

Liked 251 Times in 161 Posts
Re: No more blown highlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Steve,

Kodak Portra is my 'go to' colour film, a simply amazing film which I always over expose by at least one stop, on medium format the quality is breathtaking. As much as I love the Pen-F, Portra shot on M/F is undoubtably my preferred medium. Whilst the range of films available today is no where near as wide as it once was their quality has never been better and it's a great time to shoot film. Just ordered some 'Cinestill' as I love its movie film look.

Simon
Ricoh (6th September 2017)
Old 6th September 2017

Liked 3,311 Times in 1,134 Posts

Very interesting. I'd forgotten how forgiving film can be (well, reversal film that is - don't try this test with transparencies!)
Old 6th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Very interesting. I'd forgotten how forgiving film can be (well, reversal film that is - don't try this test with transparencies!)
Quite right Paul ..... not recommended with transparencies but reversal ( oops ... I mean 'negative' film ) can be very forgiving especially the modern emulsions, in fact they often look better overexposed.

Simon

Last edited by Simon Bee; 7th September 2017 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 6th September 2017

Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Paul

Transparencies are reversal film!

David
Old 6th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
Steve,

Kodak Portra is my 'go to' colour film, a simply amazing film which I always over expose by at least one stop, on medium format the quality is breathtaking. As much as I love the Pen-F, Portra shot on M/F is undoubtably my preferred medium. Whilst the range of films available today is no where near as wide as it once was their quality has never been better and it's a great time to shoot film. Just ordered some 'Cinestill' as I love its movie film look.

Simon
I'm seeing some superb work produced from Porta and Cinestill, I must order some myself. And of course we have Ektachrome to look forward to but that of course needs to be exposed accurately with highlights protected, not unlike digital.
PS BEOON is now married to an El-Nikkor 50 f/2.8, should be great for copying monochrome when I have a moment or two, soon hopefully.

on flickr
Old 7th September 2017

Liked 3,311 Times in 1,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrookes View Post
Paul

David
Yes, of course. Amazing how the memory dims...
Old 7th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrookes View Post
Paul

David
Quite right David,

I slipped up on that one too, guess one should not 'post without proofing' after just coming home from a work day that started at 7.00 a.m

Simon
Old 7th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I'm seeing some superb work produced from Porta and Cinestill, I must order some myself. And of course we have Ektachrome to look forward to but that of course needs to be exposed accurately with highlights protected, not unlike digital.
PS BEOON is now married to an El-Nikkor 50 f/2.8, should be great for copying monochrome when I have a moment or two, soon hopefully.
That 50 Nikkor is a great lens and I'm sure it married to the BEOON will make a great copying rig.

Portra is wonderful, no actually it's "BLOODY WONDERFUL !". All three speeds are excellent ( 160, 400 & 800 ISO ) though I find 400 the most versatile of the three. Portra for colour, Tri-X for B&W ... 'sorted' as they say, though I am looking forward to shooting the Cinestill when I get it.
Ricoh (8th September 2017)
Old 4th October 2017

Liked 1,251 Times in 856 Posts

Quote:
Portra is wonderful, no actually it's "BLOODY WONDERFUL !". All three speeds are excellent ( 160, 400 & 800 ISO ) though I find 400 the most versatile of the three. Portra for colour, Tri-X for B&W ... 'sorted' as they say, though I am looking forward to shooting the Cinestill when I get it.
Which Portra are you using Simon?

I still have some Portra 160 NC and VC in the freezer, dated 2004 if I recall.

I haven't used Portra for a while but I wasn't that impressed when I last tried it.

I developed some myself, and found that the developer had a strong cyan colour when emptied out, to the point that I didn't want to risk using it again with other films. As expected, this resulted in a noticeable colour cast when scanned.

I also found it quite grainy, but I am willing to give it another go.

My favourite MF films are still Velvia and Provia, but I was impressed with some Kodak Ektar 100 when I tried some recently. Kodak used to make Ektar 25 negative film which was extremely contrasty, but if anything I prefer the Ektar 100.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Which Portra are you using Simon?

I still have some Portra 160 NC and VC in the freezer, dated 2004 if I recall.

I haven't used Portra for a while but I wasn't that impressed when I last tried it.

I developed some myself, and found that the developer had a strong cyan colour when emptied out, to the point that I didn't want to risk using it again with other films. As expected, this resulted in a noticeable colour cast when scanned.

I also found it quite grainy, but I am willing to give it another go.

My favourite MF films are still Velvia and Provia, but I was impressed with some Kodak Ektar 100 when I tried some recently. Kodak used to make Ektar 25 negative film which was extremely contrasty, but if anything I prefer the Ektar 100.
Hi Nigel,

Firstly apologies for not replying sooner, I have been taking a break as of late. I have been using the newer Portra and mostly the 400ASA, the VC & NC options were discontinued and a 'one size fits all' version was released which is now called just 'Portra'. Its available in 160, 400 & 800ASA, IMO all are very good but 400 is the most useful. I find it a better film than the previous VC & NC versions.

Yes Ektar 100 is truly superb if exposed correctly ( little latitude for error ), I also shot Ektar 25 many years ago and in a controlled environment ( studio ) it was simply unbeatable.

I have 'a thing' for Cinestill at the moment, another film with a unique look especially when I use my Nikkor 58mm F1.4G .

Kind regards,
Simon
Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Thanked 2,129 Times in 1,060 Posts
Liked 993 Times in 485 Posts

Quote:
You mean colour neg. I think Reversal (transparency) film is very critical on exposure with regard to highlights. Colour neg has always been very forgiving so it's not really a unique feature of Kodak Portra.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Hi Nigel,

Firstly apologies for not replying sooner, I have been taking a break as of late. I have been using the newer Portra and mostly the 400ASA, the VC & NC options were discontinued and a 'one size fits all' version was released which is now called just 'Portra'. Its available in 160, 400 & 800ASA, IMO all are very good but 400 is the most useful. I find it a better film than the previous VC & NC versions.

Yes Ektar 100 is truly superb if exposed correctly ( little latitude for error ), I also shot Ektar 25 many years ago and in a controlled environment ( studio ) it was simply unbeatable.

I have 'a thing' for Cinestill at the moment, another film with a unique look especially when I use my Nikkor 58mm F1.4G .

Kind regards,
Simon
Hi Simon, glad to see you're sticking with chemicals rather solid state physics. Long live alchemy!!

on flickr