Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 14th March 2018

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OMD EM1 mk2 battery life in cold weather

I have used the EM1 mk2 extensively in hot, medium and cold climates and while battery life is decent to very good (especially in Africa !), I found that the batteries drains rapidly in sub zero degrees celsius temparutures.
The grip is so good that I will not consider the rather large and expensive battery grip,
instead I keep spare batteries warm and dry in my shirt pocket.
Question:
When using the battery grip will batteries still drain rather quickly (I suppose they will)?

And what does it take to persuade Olympus to offer an attachable USB chargeable large capacity powerbank, preferably one that can be insulated against cold and humid conditions?
I'd rather buy one of these that the current grip.
Battery life is actually one of the very fewthings a Canon shooting friend complained about when we switched gear for an hour.
Old 14th March 2018

Thanked 1,177 Times in 935 Posts
Liked 1,538 Times in 908 Posts
Re: OMD EM1 mk2 battery life in cold weather

Quote:
Question:
When using the battery grip will batteries still drain rather quickly (I suppose they will)?
Why should it?
I use battery grips most of the time, except when I want to go light in a small bag with just one lens (12-40mm). If doing a long shoot, 3rd & 4th batteries could be changed over at a convenient time rather than when just the one battery goes flat. Since the grip battery is used first (default setting) it can use the camera's battery until a convenient time to replace the battery in the grip & this can be done for each extra battery. The camera's batter is then just used for a stop gap between battery changes in the grip. That's my theory & I'm sticking with it!

BTW, I only use genuine Olympus batteries though. Others are not guaranteed to last as long.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 14th March 2018

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Interesting! On my recent Australia trip, with temperatures in the high 20's, i found battery life to be inferior to damp, cool Devon. Also the camera got very hot. This was when I was shooting wildlife at a Sanctuary. In fact, I was so concerned I switched off and took out the battery for a few minutes although it was the camera body rather than the battery which was hot. The camera was not in direct sunlight. Lens used was mainly 12 to 40mm f2.8 with occasional photos with the 75 to 300mm f4.8/6.7. Back in the UK camera is much better behaved.

Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to ianinsuffolk For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (14th March 2018)
Old 14th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianinsuffolk View Post
Interesting! On my recent Australia trip, with temperatures in the high 20's, i found battery life to be inferior to damp, cool Devon. Also the camera got very hot. This was when I was shooting wildlife at a Sanctuary. In fact, I was so concerned I switched off and took out the battery for a few minutes although it was the camera body rather than the battery which was hot. The camera was not in direct sunlight. Lens used was mainly 12 to 40mm f2.8 with occasional photos with the 75 to 300mm f4.8/6.7. Back in the UK camera is much better behaved.

Ian
Good bags & shade are certainly beneficial for camera gear, especially when it is black that will absorb heat, but high 20's is only warm here though. . It's going to about 32 degrees here today (& hotter elsewhere) & but will be a little 'hot' this weekend at 36 degrees & hotter elsewhere. Summer is supposed to be done, but then you've had late winter conditions too though.

BTW, you might want to delete the repeated post. The site seems to be taking a long time to complete a post at the moment too (although fine if editing).

Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 15th March 2018

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlemmingS View Post
Question:
When using the battery grip will batteries still drain rather quickly (I suppose they will)?.

Camera and grip attached, I ventured out during the recent cold weather (The Beast from the East) as it was named, here in the UK and would say I was experiencing a reduced battery life but not drastically. Lower than usual temps and with the wind chill, I could feel the camera was getting very cold but it was just my fingers that stopped working.

Mark
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (15th March 2018)
Old 15th March 2018

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts about my questions.
I have experienced a quite big drop in battery life when shooting in sub zero temperatures, but it might also be caused by the very wet weather conditions? (Olympus weather sealing is outstanding).
The reason I asked about the battery grip, is that I was wondering if it was better insulated that in camera battery housing, so each battery would last longer.
The EM1 mk2 has such a wonderfull grip that I am very reluctant to add wight and bulk just gaining an additional in camera battery. When shooting with my EM1 mk1 I always use the battery grip, but then again: neither grip or battery life is anything near the mk2.
Also I second that one should use genuine Olympus natteries, I have been using three intensively in a year and they still work wonderfully (when temperature is above say 5 degrees celsius).
Would any of you consider an attachable high capacity powerbank that could be charged by USB?
I think this would solve two weak ponts compared to high end DSLR's: Battery life and lack of USB charging while providing an option of better heat and moist insulation of the power unit.
Old 15th March 2018

Liked 1,479 Times in 895 Posts

http://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/10/10/1560/pdf

on flickr
Old 15th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Perhaps some explanation with the link for the PDF might be helpful.
Old 22nd March 2018

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thank you for your response.
I must admit that I have a bit of a hard time understanding the PDF that Ricoh posted, but I will ask my brother in law to take a look (he is an electronics engineer),
Anyhow: I asked three of my Canon and NIkon friends, and they also experience degraded battery performance in cold weather.
But I suspect that mirrorless cameras might be more affected that DSLR, given the fact that many DSLR's are rated for 1000+ shots under normal circumstances, while many ML cameras are rated for significantly fewer.
I hope that Olympus will provide either a true battery grip containign two batteries or as I suggested: An USB charged and attachable powerbank
Old 22nd March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlemmingS View Post
Thank you for your response.
I must admit that I have a bit of a hard time understanding the PDF that Ricoh posted, but I will ask my brother in law to take a look (he is an electronics engineer),
Anyhow: I asked three of my Canon and NIkon friends, and they also experience degraded battery performance in cold weather.
But I suspect that mirrorless cameras might be more affected that DSLR, given the fact that many DSLR's are rated for 1000+ shots under normal circumstances, while many ML cameras are rated for significantly fewer.
I hope that Olympus will provide either a true battery grip containign two batteries or as I suggested: An USB charged and attachable powerbank
Olympus won't make the grip with the 2 batteries because of the added size it would need. The present system works well as I wrote above.