Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 30th November 2018

Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
Apple privacy...?.

What’s going on? I keep camera manuals and other booklets in iBooks. But they all disappeared, iBooks opens with a privacy window. Chanting on about my privacy is important to them! Then go on to state that they are obliged to pass on what I am interested in by way of my iBooks content. I. Could not figure out a way round this barrier so had to agree! I have noticed a number of sites while surfing the internet are doing the same telling me that my privacy is important to them, in those scenarios I do not try any further with that site moving on to a site that doesn’t regrets me to agree. Has anyone using Applehad this?

Rant over kind regards Mike
Old 30th November 2018

Liked 730 Times in 470 Posts
Re: Apple privacy...?.

Not Apple specifically but I am getting increasingly fed up with huge banners popping up wanting me to accept cookies for advertising and data collection purposes, often not giving me the option to refuse them. Those that ask me to turn off my ad blocker rarely get a second look. I know advertising supports many sites but I never read them and they're just a nuisance. Some sites have so much advertising it's difficult to work out what's useful content!
Old 30th November 2018

Thanked 1,128 Times in 1,005 Posts
Liked 1,180 Times in 773 Posts

Yes I have a daily news feed which gives a headline on which I click to read the story lately I am asked to click agreeing to allow my details to be recorded. If I refuse then the story is blocked. Not reading many stories.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 30th November 2018

Liked 330 Times in 170 Posts

Not had that with iBooks but Apple already know everything about me via my iPhone so that battle is more or less lost.

Regarding websites - since GDPR came into force sites have to be more honest about what data they collect and who they share it with.
They’ve been doing this for years with “implicit consent” (i.e. you had to opt out) but are now forced to get explicit consent (you must agree). They’ve been spying on you before just now it’s more obvious.
Nothing has changed just you can now see what’s going on behind the scenes.

You can also right click to open links in private browsers most of the time.

Some sites I’m prepared to accept all their cookies and tracking as I value the service they offer and ads and tracking support that business.

Many others I only happen across from searches etc. I do not.
In those cases I copy the url then close the tab.
Open an Incognito / InPrivate / Private Window (depending on the browser) paste in the link and go.
You can now say yes to all their cookies and read the article.
When you close that browser all the cookies are zapped so their tracking has only limited effectiveness.

As they say if you aren’t paying for something directly then you are the product for sale.
The Following User Says Thank You to AMc For This Useful Post:
sapper (30th November 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (14th January 2019), Ross the fiddler (30th November 2018)
Old 13th January 2019

Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts

I have been not using sites that have the permission for use displayed. I consider this to be my protest against the site. Finding another site that doesn’t ask for permissions.
Old 14th January 2019

Liked 330 Times in 170 Posts

GDPR when it came in made it much more important for sites to gain explicit consent to tracking tech - previously a small inconspicuous cookie notice was all you needed.
Sites have always been tracking you and doing all sorts with that data. Those that don't ask you for your consent are either breaking the new laws or you've accepted their tracking before and don't remember.

GDPR has shrunk the amount of tracking most sites do which is in my humble opinion a good thing.

I work in Web Analytics. We track which pages people visit, from where and for how long as a way to find out what interests users and what doesn't.
It's hard enough getting funding for site content but generally those holding the purse strings want to know someone viewed it.
There is nothing nefarious in my client's useage - they don't target ads or cross share data - but they still have to ask for consent.

If you're only casually looking at a site once then right click on the link and use InPrivate or InCognito mode - say yes to their cookies screen and when you close the browser window it will all be forgotten.