Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > Flash

Flash FL-related discussions can be found here.

Old 11th August 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remote flash triggering (again)

Hello all, I have just joined the forum, it looks good.
Now I am sure that I have seen somewhere that you can use the kit flash guns as remote triggers BUT without the flash itself firing. This means that all the light comes from the remotes with none from the on the camera flash. I spent yesterday afternoon trying to do this and failing miserably. Even when the menu shows the on camera flash as OFF it still fires. Any answers out there?
Old 11th August 2017

Liked 2,789 Times in 1,059 Posts
Re: Remote flash triggering (again)

It has to flash slightly to trigger the other flashes, assuming you are using RC mode. Should not add much to the photo though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 11th August 2017
Administrator

Liked 229 Times in 127 Posts

I have to say for me even the small amount of front lighting was too much hence i invested in cactus wireless slaves

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://shenstonephoto.blogspot.com/
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
Old 11th August 2017

Liked 619 Times in 416 Posts

My Metz ring flash is triggered by the on camera flash. There's a plastic clip that goes over the camera flash, that blocks visible light but not infra-red. Maybe tape an IR filter over he camera flash to achieve the same effect

Jim
Old 12th August 2017

Thanked 1,091 Times in 860 Posts
Liked 1,243 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshire evangelist View Post
Hello all, I have just joined the forum, it looks good.
Now I am sure that I have seen somewhere that you can use the kit flash guns as remote triggers BUT without the flash itself firing. This means that all the light comes from the remotes with none from the on the camera flash. I spent yesterday afternoon trying to do this and failing miserably. Even when the menu shows the on camera flash as OFF it still fires. Any answers out there?
G'day. Yes, it will fire, but it does so just before the shutter opens (so long as it is set that way in RC mode & not set to be included in the exposure) triggering Olympus (protocol) flashes with that slight delay for when the shutter is open. It can also be used for FP TTL too. If some light is still getting onto the subject from the triggering flash, then deflecting with a white card can be effective, depending location, surrounds & ambient light.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 2 Days Ago

Liked 682 Times in 245 Posts

Anyone used these, http://www.techradar.com/how-to/phot...rated-1320868?
Old 1 Day Ago

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

I've been trying to get to grips with RC flash with my Metz flashes. It's not easy as Metz manuals seem to have been translated into Englsih by someone with poor English, and in any case use different terminology to Olympus and also write quite generically at times with lots of qualifcations such as "may or may not depending on your camera model".

Anyway for RC flash it seems you need the slaves in slave mode but not in servo mode. Metz servo mode is a kind of dumb slave mode which just flashes when something else flashes. Metz Slave mode (without servo also applied) reads and interprets the Olympus RC pre-flash protocol and obeys it.

There's great info about the Oly RC pre-flash protocols here: https://strobehacker.tumblr.com/post...know-about-the

The Oly manuals are a bit rubbish in this area and Busch's book isn't great. the best explanation I've found of how to set this up on your OMD is in Darrel Young's handbooks.