Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 3rd June 2017

Liked 122 Times in 81 Posts
Re: AF not as accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
.....but if there isn't a smaller option by the autumn I'll eat my 300.......my brain will probably explode.
Please don't eat that 300.. I would gladly relief you from indigestion ..just send it my way.
drmarkf (3rd June 2017)
Old 4th June 2017

Liked 93 Times in 15 Posts

I was out birding and this deer did not see me, yet again the Silent shutter did its magic I even had to make a tut tut sound to make it turn and look my way it was 50 ft away.
Rob.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
IainMacD (4th June 2017), Ross the fiddler (4th June 2017), yorky (12th August 2017)
Old 4th June 2017

Liked 93 Times in 15 Posts

I think so ,the horns look like they can cause some damage that's for sure.
Rob.
Old 11th August 2017

Liked 1,808 Times in 625 Posts

After a few months of using my E-M1 II I have come to the conclusion that the AF is nowhere near as accurate as my Mk I. I have tried changing the settings as other users have recommended but I am still not getting sharp images.

Today I took over 140 shots of a Kingfisher in good light over a 15 minute period. I was really excited and couldn't wait to have a look at the results. After a quick scan through them in FastRawViewer I couldn't find a single sharp image. Of course it could be that FastRawViewer is not giving an accurate representation of the file and that they might look better when they are developed properly. However, at the moment I feel like chucking the bloody thing in the skip.

Ron
Old 12th August 2017

Thanked 1,106 Times in 872 Posts
Liked 1,300 Times in 798 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
After a few months of using my E-M1 II I have come to the conclusion that the AF is nowhere near as accurate as my Mk I. I have tried changing the settings as other users have recommended but I am still not getting sharp images.

Today I took over 140 shots of a Kingfisher in good light over a 15 minute period. I was really excited and couldn't wait to have a look at the results. After a quick scan through them in FastRawViewer I couldn't find a single sharp image. Of course it could be that FastRawViewer is not giving an accurate representation of the file and that they might look better when they are developed properly. However, at the moment I feel like chucking the bloody thing in the skip.

Ron
Can you show us a couple of the photos & with crops of the focus target area please. Also can you add settings for those images & lens used.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 12th August 2017

Liked 122 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
.... I am still not getting sharp images.
.... However, at the moment I feel like chucking the bloody thing in the skip.

Ron
Please don't chuck..Pass it gently to me.

I am still not getting 100% accurate but sometimes, it out performs that mk1. Seriously I too am am not sure what's with this Mk2. At times it's perfect and then it can be a pain.
Old 12th August 2017

At least the 14-54 II lens focusses nicely (& accurately) on the Mk II instead of just racking back & forth on the E-M1 (Mk I) when it struggles.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 12th August 2017

Liked 460 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:

Ron
What lens was being used? Plus as others have already asked can you share an image and exif data.
Old 12th August 2017

Liked 167 Times in 44 Posts

Were these images of the kingfisher perched or in flight?
Old 12th August 2017

Liked 936 Times in 267 Posts

Hi Ron,

I'm sad to read that. May I ask what lens you are using? 50-200SWD + EC14?

Could you post some photos for us to have a look what could be wrong? If possible with some foreground/background in addition to subject.

What I found when giving 50-200SWD + EC14 a try with the E-M1 M2 the other day is that my copy seemed to require AF calibration. Ater coming home from the session I ran a test using focus chart that revealed it was front focusing quite a bit which required -3 or -4 on the telephoto end.

/Tord

My Gallery on 500px
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (12th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017

Quote:

Ron
Ron, maybe this is worth reading (or not).
Is he being paid for this?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
wornish (13th August 2017)
Old 14th August 2017

Liked 1,808 Times in 625 Posts

Well I have calmed down a bit now and I have had another look at my Kingfisher shots. They are not quite as bad as I first thought.

The first thing is that FastRawViewer doesn't seem to give a very good idea of what the images actually look like. When I open them in Apple Photos or Affinity Photo they look a bit better. The second thing is that I was obviously further away from the bird than I remember and 283mm focal length is probably not quite enough.

I started off shooting with my S-AF settings but when the Kingfisher dived down to catch a fish, I switched over to my C-AF settings to get a faster shutter speed. This increased the ISO to about 800, creating more noise. I also neglected to change the AF points from five to single and I think that could account for the poor focusing.

Here are five sample shots. The first (uncropped) one gives a general impression of the size of the bird in the viewfinder. The next three are crops of S-AF files and the final one is a crop of a typical C-AF image. Hopefully, the exif data is intact.

Ron
Old 14th August 2017

Liked 253 Times in 90 Posts

I think you will have to do a focus test with your 50-200 and EC-14 and probably calibrate your AF. If you don't have any specific test gear, then just set the camera up on a tripod and and put 3 bottles with detailed labels staggered an inch or two apart. Focus on the middle bottle and check if you have front or back focus. Try and get a good distance to the bottles if possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bengeo For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (14th August 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (14th August 2017)
Old 14th August 2017

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Hi Ron,

I'd agree with doing a focus test, don't think you'll be too far off but could be a touch of front focus, as Tord experienced. Looking at the 2nd, 3rd and 4th shots, not sure if shutter speed caused any softness, would have been great to see those at 1/1250 or 1/1600th.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to bassman For This Useful Post:
Old 14th August 2017

Liked 460 Times in 223 Posts

As already said single point focus would certainly help. You were at 1/500 sec on a stationary object, but the branch its standing on appears to be soft as well. I assume you had is-auto enabled.

I think its just a case of being too far away. You only have a very small area to get any detail from and you are really cropping significantly to get a larger view of the bird.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
GyRob (15th August 2017), Ross the fiddler (14th August 2017)