Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Closed Thread

Old 6th February 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,977 Times in 2,313 Posts
Liked 3,911 Times in 1,847 Posts
Political Threads In The Lounge

Here on E-Group we have a proud tradition of being able to host political debates in The Lounge without the inevitable flaming and trolling that would inevtitably occur on virtually any other site. This is a credit to us and indeed is partially what The Lounge is for - having a chat about something other than photography or cameras for a change.

However it is all about balance. The occasional political thread is fine, but it does start to become a problem when the list of new forum posts appears to be dominated by these type of discussions. I hold my hands up and declare that I am one who tends to perpetuate these debates, either by replying or starting threads myself. I have to concede, though, that recently we have had rather more of this type of activity than is desirable for a forum such as this. After all, we are principally a photography forum, dedicated to Olympus cameras and lenses.

I therefore respectfully request that we take a break from current affairs and refocus on our hobby. It would certainly do me good to break out of the doldrums and get out to take a few pictures to inflict upon you all!

Thank you.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
David Morison (6th February 2014), drmarkf (6th February 2014), Graham_of_Rainham (6th February 2014), Grumpy Hec (6th February 2014), Gwyver (6th February 2014), Ian (6th February 2014), Internaut (6th February 2014), Mrs T (6th February 2014), PeterBirder (6th February 2014), wanderer (6th February 2014), wellyboot (6th February 2014)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
birdboy (6th February 2014), David Morison (6th February 2014), George Dorn (6th February 2014), Graham_of_Rainham (6th February 2014), Internaut (6th February 2014), Shaw (6th February 2014), StephenL (6th February 2014), The Technician (6th February 2014), themosttogain (6th February 2014), wellyboot (6th February 2014)
Old 6th February 2014

Liked 314 Times in 155 Posts
Re: Political Threads In The Lounge

John ,

Wholeheartedly agree with this, politics at this time is a dodgy subject, we all have our own views on various subjects rightly or wrongly, and things 'can' get a bit out of hand during any debate. The twitter stuff (which I don't subscribe to) is a classic example......so lets move on, more importantly for me at the moment is understanding my new EM-1 169 page instruction manual ....wow....that's going to take some reading, and judging by the various questions on here regarding this very complex piece of kit, i'm going to endure some frustrating times, but I've stuck with Olympus, after considering the big two, but after handling the camera, just wanted to upgrade, so here we go !!

BTW was in Gt Dunmow yesterday, my sister lives there, but didn't see you !! seriously though keep up the good work, and maybe one day we may meet up.

Cheers for now..

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocknroll59 For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (6th February 2014)
Old 6th February 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,169 Posts
Liked 1,347 Times in 644 Posts

I fully support what John says here. There is nothing wrong with debating politics - indeed perhaps we need more political debate, especially involving younger people. But this is a photography website and threads unrelated to this are dominating things to the point that we need to rebalance.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (6th February 2014), Zuiko (6th February 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
StephenL (6th February 2014)
Old 6th February 2014
Grumpy Member

Liked 462 Times in 220 Posts

Although, like John, I have and do post on some of the more political threads I tend to do one or two posts and then withdraw as opinions can rapidly become polarised which I tend to feel uncomfortable about.

Indeed a few weeks ago I got so annoyed with some views expressed on a subject that I withdrew from the forum for a while. Undoubtedly I should be more tolerant, I normally am but in this instance for some reason a nerve was struck, but I decided to quietly leave rather than add fuel to the fire.

So I very much agree with the notion that we stick to photography or related areas.

Interesting timing for this thread as earlier I started a photography thread asking we why take pictures deliberately to get the photographic arts back in the frame (pun intended).

Hec
PeterBirder (6th February 2014), StephenL (6th February 2014)
Old 6th February 2014

Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts

I'm fairly new to the forum so I was reluctant to add my feelings to this at the risk of upsetting some of the long established members, but I agree.. I come here for the camera chat/advice/help, and when I see a political/unrelated thread I tend to just ignore it.

At the end of the day my opinion on such matters will make no difference to the running of the country, so I prefer to stick to posting to threads where I feel I have a relevant comment or can add an opinion with some value.

That said, I can see the appeal of changing subject from time to time, and can tell already that this is a friendly place and that discussions outside of photography are part and parcel of a group of like minded individuals so I certainly wouldn't like to see all non photography related threads disappear.

Indeed, the fact that such threads are dominating the main forum page suggests that enough people are commenting to keep the threads among the most active, so maybe i'm not in the majority with my opinions on the matter!

Either way, they won't stop me coming back...I'll just carry on ignoring them!
Grumpy Hec (6th February 2014), IainMacD (6th February 2014), Jezzer (6th February 2014), PeterBirder (6th February 2014), StephenL (6th February 2014)
Old 6th February 2014

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I like to keep my political opinions to the weekly pub meet. There I can talk b******s with only my friends to chastise me!

David
IainMacD (6th February 2014), PeterBirder (6th February 2014), StephenL (6th February 2014)
Old 6th February 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
Although, like John, I have and do post on some of the more political threads I tend to do one or two posts and then withdraw as opinions can rapidly become polarised which I tend to feel uncomfortable about.

Indeed a few weeks ago I got so annoyed with some views expressed on a subject that I withdrew from the forum for a while. Undoubtedly I should be more tolerant, I normally am but in this instance for some reason a nerve was struck, but I decided to quietly leave rather than add fuel to the fire.

So I very much agree with the notion that we stick to photography or related areas.

Interesting timing for this thread as earlier I started a photography thread asking we why take pictures deliberately to get the photographic arts back in the frame (pun intended).

Hec
Thanks Hec, it's one of my fears that if we become too political we will drive some existing members away, or deter potential new members from joining.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
PeterBirder (6th February 2014), StephenL (6th February 2014)
Old 6th February 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by themosttogain View Post
I'm fairly new to the forum so I was reluctant to add my feelings to this at the risk of upsetting some of the long established members, but I agree.. I come here for the camera chat/advice/help, and when I see a political/unrelated thread I tend to just ignore it.

At the end of the day my opinion on such matters will make no difference to the running of the country, so I prefer to stick to posting to threads where I feel I have a relevant comment or can add an opinion with some value.

That said, I can see the appeal of changing subject from time to time, and can tell already that this is a friendly place and that discussions outside of photography are part and parcel of a group of like minded individuals so I certainly wouldn't like to see all non photography related threads disappear.

Indeed, the fact that such threads are dominating the main forum page suggests that enough people are commenting to keep the threads among the most active, so maybe i'm not in the majority with my opinions on the matter!

Either way, they won't stop me coming back...I'll just carry on ignoring them!
Never feel that you shoulldn't express your feelings just because you are new to the forum. As an Olympus user this is YOUR forum as much as a member with 10,000 posts. We want you to like it here, we want you to stay.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (6th February 2014)
Ralph Harwood (6th February 2014)
Old 6th February 2014

Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Never feel that you shoulldn't express your feelings just because you are new to the forum. As an Olympus user this is YOUR forum as much as a member with 10,000 posts. We want you to like it here, we want you to stay.
Aww...I feel all warm and fuzzy inside!
Old 6th February 2014

Thanked 1,286 Times in 1,117 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Well, I am clearly the wrong 'un Sorry chaps but the posts and photographs here over the past few weeks are so low, I thought I would post somethings to get the keyboards clattering !

Wont do any more ! Now lets get back to talking about photography
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
StephenL (6th February 2014)
Old 6th February 2014

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Fair enough - point taken. Reassuring though to see that such political posts can arise on this forum without things getting too out of hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to DanH56 For This Useful Post:
Old 6th February 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Well, I am clearly the wrong 'un Sorry chaps but the posts and photographs here over the past few weeks are so low, I thought I would post somethings to get the keyboards clattering !

Wont do any more ! Now lets get back to talking about photography
Chevvy, you are not "clearly the wrong 'un." Sure, you've started a few threads lately but you are not the only one and, as I said, I've willingly joined the debates along with many others. If it wasn't for all the replies you were getting, your threads wouldn't be dominating the Today's Posts list. It's something we ALL need to take on board, me included.

You are right about the pictures drying up recently, I suspect the unusually wet weather isn't helping. Hopefully more of us will start contributing again with our photography soon.

Old 6th February 2014

Thanked 1,286 Times in 1,117 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Chevvy, you are not "clearly the wrong 'un." Sure, you've started a few threads lately but you are not the only one and, as I said, I've willingly joined the debates along with many others. If it wasn't for all the replies you were getting, your threads wouldn't be dominating the Today's Posts list. It's something we ALL need to take on board, me included.

You are right about the pictures drying up recently, I suspect the unusually wet weather isn't helping. Hopefully more of us will start contributing again with our photography soon.

John, I thought I was the ONLY one posting what I classify as "Intellectually Stimulating Conversations" ? (thats the positron classification - Political ? well hardly, NOT ONE is about any one Political Party - its all about our lives "Our Past Our Future ? ; NHS Future and Elderly Care and HOW can the Youngsters Afford their own Home ... never worry, I am a big girl and can take the flack

I promise not to post any stimulating and interesting threads that are not about photography

If the posts are not up in number, I think you will find that Olympus may stick with the Facebook and no Forum ... as so many manufacturers are doing now ! - that is a much cheaper Route to Market !

... SO I thought I would get posts up to aid sustaining this forum ! Because its severely lacking in interest during the winter so far and the NEW Camera Show is soon to be with us ...
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 6th February 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
John, I thought I was the ONLY one posting what I classify as "Intellectually Stimulating Conversations" ? (thats the positron classification - Political ? well hardly, NOT ONE is about any one Political Party - its all about our lives "Our Past Our Future ? ; NHS Future and Elderly Care and HOW can the Youngsters Afford their own Home ... never worry, I am a big girl and can take the flack

I promise not to post any stimulating and interesting threads that are not about photography

If the posts are not up in number, I think you will find that Olympus may stick with the Facebook and no Forum ... as so many manufacturers are doing now ! - that is a much cheaper Route to Market !

... SO I thought I would get posts up to aid sustaining this forum ! Because its severely lacking in interest during the winter so far and the NEW Camera Show is soon to be with us ...
I meant "political" in the wider sense, not necessarily party political. Your recent threads in this category are not overtly political but they all cover topics that are very much current in the political arena and therefore are bound to stimulate debate that includes political comment. Especially from me; I am a political animal.

And you do not have a monopoly on "Intellectually Stimulating Conversations" on this forum!

And once again, this thread is not aimed soley at you, I can't have you taking all the credit!

Old 6th February 2014

Liked 314 Times in 155 Posts

I like a good debate Chevvyf1, so don't worry I think everyone on here is friendly, informative, and funny, so keep it up, just as long as it doesn't get too heavy, I've got a wife at home to argue with....(it's OK she's not looking over my shoulder) not married for 34 years without the odd debate!!

Peter
Closed Thread