Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,189 Times in 939 Posts
Liked 1,585 Times in 932 Posts
"NOISE!" (revised) by Terry Lane.

Noise on Micro Four Thirds (revised version with brighter video exposure) by Terry Lane.
"NOISE! Micro Four Thirds High ISO"

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
bassman (3 Weeks Ago), Greytop (3 Weeks Ago), MikeOxon (3 Weeks Ago), Shaw (3 Weeks Ago)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
cinders (2 Weeks Ago), Ian (3 Weeks Ago), MJ224 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,214 Times in 1,131 Posts
Liked 1,663 Times in 832 Posts
Re: "NOISE!" (revised) by Terry Lane.

Yes that's a nice video. Very calmly done. It went on to another of his videos about digital downsizing which was also a good watch. Only issue I had was he implied that the Oly and Panny IS body and lens systems worked together showing a Lumix 100-400 lens and an EM1 mk2. As far as I know that is incorrect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (3 Weeks Ago)
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,038 Times in 582 Posts

Yes, he's a good voice of reason, with some good-practice tips.

Bearing in mind how the comparisons are done on photonstophotos.com, however, which I believe take account of optimising the exposure for each sensor and probably some clever processing, contrary to what he states (apparently based on an assumption, rather than a scientific test) there's not actually a significant difference in signal-to-noise ratio between the E-M1ii and the XT-2 or even -3:

http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PD...M1%20Mark%20II

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,189 Times in 939 Posts
Liked 1,585 Times in 932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Yes that's a nice video. Very calmly done. It went on to another of his videos about digital downsizing which was also a good watch. Only issue I had was he implied that the Oly and Panny IS body and lens systems worked together showing a Lumix 100-400 lens and an EM1 mk2. As far as I know that is incorrect.
Thanks Phil. I went & checked & thought it was only mentioned at 12 minutes, 11 seconds in the video, thinking the same & so I stuck my neck out & commented on the video with this reply from Terry.
Quote:
Terry Lane
Ross: There is some misunderstanding here. I make it quite clear that the dual IS is only available with Panasonic cameras, except for the unique case of OMD plus Olympus 300mm f4. I do say, quite explicitly, that dual IS is only with the Panasonic combination and I said that with that combo you could probably stand on one leg in an earthquake and get sharp shots. I have looked at the video again and I cannot see any ambiguity in my presentation. Incidentally I do own Panasonic cameras so I would hardly make the mistake you mention.
I guess I'll have to listen to the "Digital Downsizing - DSLR to Micro Four Thirds" video right through again. I did share that one earlier this year here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Yes, he's a good voice of reason, with some good-practice tips.

Bearing in mind how the comparisons are done on photonstophotos.com, however, which I believe take account of optimising the exposure for each sensor and probably some clever processing, contrary to what he states (apparently based on an assumption, rather than a scientific test) there's not actually a significant difference in signal-to-noise ratio between the E-M1ii and the XT-2 or even -3:

http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PD...M1%20Mark%20II
Thanks, but I'm not going to mention that with him though. I think I would describe him as being "old school" in his manner & approach, which isn't a bad thing, but certainly someone that is much easier to listen to with a measured & sensible approach rather than a brash type of character that some are from a certain northern continent.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,996 Times in 1,017 Posts

As a result of this video, I may try the Exposure bracketing, and see if that allows the ISO to be raised.....

My Flickr
Ross the fiddler (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,112 Times in 728 Posts

I've learned not to worry much about noise. Mind you, I mostly view my images on a laptop with a dirty LCD screen!

Jim
Dave in Wales (3 Weeks Ago), drmarkf (3 Weeks Ago), MikeOxon (3 Weeks Ago), Ross the fiddler (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post

Thanks, but I'm not going to mention that with him though. I think I would describe him as being "old school" in his manner & approach, which isn't a bad thing, but certainly someone that is much easier to listen to with a measured & sensible approach rather than a brash type of character that some are from a certain northern continent.

Undoubtedly the right decision, Ross!

He probably gets wound up a treat as it is by all those lonely, angry young North American men who troll away on dpreview. Hes got the sort of personality that will get needled by it and, although a lot of what he says is useful common sense, some of it is right in their allergy zones (noise, depth of field, sensor size etc).

Actually, Bill Claff (runs that photonstophotos site) is a bit of a saint in my view. Hes probably a man of reasonably mature years, but spends a lot of time on dpreview patiently explaining the scientific background to the angry and ignorant in calm and reasonable terms. Terry may well know him, but I agree letting sleeping dogs lie is the best course.

Terry touches on the intended use of images in relation to noise, sensor size and processing tips, but I think he could usefully have said even more. A well exposed and processed m4/3 wildlife image taken at 1600 or even 3200ASA has invisible (or, at least, unobjectionable) noise that can score 19 or 20/20 in a blindly-judged U.K. Club photography projected image competition (I bet that a lot of people here, like me, have done this), while its also invisible in a well-made A4 print.

Blow it up to 16 x 20, however, or crop it 50%, and it will usually begin to fall apart.

So, were mainly balancing day-long gear portability against the ability to make 16 x 20 prints from images taken in poor light in the 40 at the beginning and end of the day. My back and neck have already voted in that poll!

Too much Oly gear.
Jim Ford (2 Weeks Ago), Ross the fiddler (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,177 Posts
Liked 1,445 Times in 667 Posts

This must be the first Youtube video I have watched non-stop from start to finish without a pause for months

Excellent messages and I agree 100% with everything he says. I'm not quite as experienced as him, so in my teens I was using mainly Ilford FP4 (125 ASA) and HP4 (400) but even then there was a quest for less grain and I did dabble with Pan-F (50 ASA). And those were all black and white! ISO 12 Kodachrome was long gone by the mid-70s but I certainly shot some ISO 25 Kodachrome, as well as other makes of tranny film at ISO 64, as well as colour neg at mainly ISO 100. As with most things in life, it's all relative!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
cinders (2 Weeks Ago), drmarkf (3 Weeks Ago), Ross the fiddler (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
This must be the first Youtube video I have watched non-stop from start to finish without a pause for months

Excellent messages and I agree 100% with everything he says. I'm not quite as experienced as him, so in my teens I was using mainly Ilford FP4 (125 ASA) and HP4 (400) but even then there was a quest for less grain and I did dabble with Pan-F (50 ASA). And those were all black and white! ISO 12 Kodachrome was long gone by the mid-70s but I certainly shot some ISO 25 Kodachrome, as well as other makes of tranny film at ISO 64, as well as colour neg at mainly ISO 100. As with most things in life, it's all relative!

Ian
Yes, I used to buy rolls of Pan-F and HP5 and load my own cassettes.

Pushed Pan-F (I forget now what speed I used) had a great feel, looking mildly grainy but contrasty a bit like the Acros film simulation in some Fuji digital cameras today.

One learned to capitalize on happy accidents - like when I forgot to temper the washing stage of one roll and ended up with some right spacey-looking reticulation.

The obsession with ultra-clean files today is very limiting, and I'm sure it's spun up by certain manufacturers...

Too much Oly gear.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 113 Times in 72 Posts

I did enjoy Terry Lane's comment that using ISO 6400 feels a bit "naughty".

I started on Kodachrome II (25ASA). Now that we have stabilisation and wide aperture lenses I rarely feel a need for anything more than ISO 640 and am very content with MFT performance at that speed.
Ross the fiddler (2 Weeks Ago)