Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 13th February 2015

Liked 119 Times in 55 Posts
Re: 40-150 f/2.8 Pro with C-AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Yes my interpretation is that the new firmware enables C-AF in H mode but that the frame rate drops from 10fps to 9fps when C-AF is in use. We will find out on the 24th

Ian
Ian, did you find out if C-AF for m43 lenses now uses the array of 37 pdaf boxes (as apparently stated in the press release) or does it continue to show the 81 cdaf area boxes as at present?
Old 13th February 2015
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Ian, did you find out if C-AF for m43 lenses now uses the array of 37 pdaf boxes (as apparently stated in the press release) or does it continue to show the 81 cdaf area boxes as at present?
Sorry for any confusion - C-AF on the E-M1 with Micro Four Thirds lenses has always used the PDAF points. If the subject strays outside that central array of PDAF points then contrast detect AF attempts to maintain focus, which is why all 81 points are active instead of just the central PDAF points. I don't really see that this would change.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
OM USer (13th February 2015)
Old 13th February 2015

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
Hi am new to olympus. I have just returned from a unhealthy holiday in fuerturventura all four of us picked some bug of a not known source the hotel had lots of people down with it. However due to the circumstances I had time to play in the room on the balcony with the 40-150 2.8 pro bought a few days before the holiday. In combination with the Em1. I placed the the combo with converter on my tripod pointing at a sail boat. Using c/af tracking. Pointing the cameras focus at the boat it was excellent. But how weird is this? I left the camera stationary! Not tracking the boat but locked on the tripod, The focus point was pointing at open ocean! The green square was wandering towards the side of the viewfinder tracking the boat, I fired off a few shots and all seemed to be in focus with the boat, going off to the side of the frame. I did this a couple of times with the same results. All frames were sharp. I then decided to try the BIF scenario, how strange the lens kept going in and out of focus as if it could not lock on ( by the way I was using single focus point) by the time it did lock on the bird was gone. Although the gulls I tried it out on were not to large in the frame I had them nailed with the single point very much of the time. I had much better luck getting focus on the gulls with single s/af, but only one maybe two would be in focus during a short burst of maybe 7-10 shots. I managed a day out to the local zoo. now locked up with Imodium, and visited the birds of prey area where the trainers were exercising a Eurasian eagle owl I managed to get an excellent BIF shot of the owl out of about 10 frames before I was dragged away from she who must be obeyed... I do realise and was advised when I wanted to go over to oly from canon to keep my canon stuff which I heeded for BIF shots. generally I have found the lens excellent for general photography I have not tried it on butterflies and dragonflies yet! Which is why I purchased the lens. it's a shame that olympus has missed a great opportunity with this lens. I do realise it's well short of focal length for BIF. And maybe the forthcoming firmware may make it better but I won't hold my breath. changing over from canon is still not regretted at this time.
Kind regards Mike
When I take BIFs I only use single point but with Magnify enabled at x5 which gives me a large rectangle to place over the bird. I have found this to be much more accurate than multiple points. However the most effective method for me is to use this with S-AF and H frame rate as focus lock is much quicker and the bird doesn't cover enough distance in the time it takes to rattle off 10 shots, so oof images aren't too much of an issue.

David
DavyG (13th February 2015)
Old 13th February 2015

Liked 1,425 Times in 320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
When I take BIFs I only use single point but with Magnify enabled at x5 which gives me a large rectangle to place over the bird. I have found this to be much more accurate than multiple points. However the most effective method for me is to use this with S-AF and H frame rate as focus lock is much quicker and the bird doesn't cover enough distance in the time it takes to rattle off 10 shots, so oof images aren't too much of an issue.

David
That's a very good idea, thanks for posting it

Dave
Old 13th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
When I take BIFs I only use single point but with Magnify enabled at x5 which gives me a large rectangle to place over the bird. I have found this to be much more accurate than multiple points.

David
David,

Are you using the 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro for this? I used to do exactly exactly what you say with the 50-200 SWD but found it didn't work well at all with the 40-150 Pro. When using the Magnify rectangle, the lens oscillates back and forth and takes a few seconds to lock the first time. I found it unusable!?!
Old 13th February 2015

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

Yes, that's very interesting. I'll give it a go for motorsports, too (pace comments about which lens we're discussing...)

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 13th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
David,

Are you using the 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro for this? I used to do exactly exactly what you say with the 50-200 SWD but found it didn't work well at all with the 40-150 Pro. When using the Magnify rectangle, the lens oscillates back and forth and takes a few seconds to lock the first time. I found it unusable!?!
No not tried it with the 40-150mm, but it works with Tamron 145-150mm, Leica 14-150mm and 75-300mm.

David
Old 21st February 2015

A propos some of the discussions earlier in this thread, I recently came across Gordon Laing's CameraLabs site and spent a worthwhile 10' perusing this article:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/B...ra_for_sports/

It should give all of us hope that decent CAF performance is going to be achievable in mirrorless 4/3 bodies, and not far in the future, either. Yes?

I imagine we'll need the E-M1 II (or III) with a lighter version of one of those Sony sensors mounted in a beefed-up 5-axis suspension, plus uprated processing power. Allying this to the 40-150 and 300 Pro lenses should spell the end of 7D envy, at last.

I do recommend Gordon's site, by the way. Excellent, detailed, real-world reviews. I remember him from his articles in PC World all those years ago.

Too much Oly gear.
Old 21st February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post

I imagine we'll need the E-M1 II (or III) with a lighter version of one of those Sony sensors mounted in a beefed-up 5-axis suspension, plus uprated processing power. Allying this to the 40-150 and 300 Pro lenses should spell the end of 7D envy, at last.
I don't see how the 5 axis IBIS, however upgraded, can help with C-AF performance. New Pro lenses may be faster and more responsive which could improve performance.
Have you used a Canon 7DII for BIFs etc? If you had you would realise how wide the C-AF (Servo) performance gap is. I have both the Canon and an E-M1 and I don't imagine I will be selling the Canon in the foreseeable future!

David
Old 21st February 2015

No, that's only a secondary requirement: the improved suspension would be needed to cope with what is for some time likely to be a heavier sensor to deliver the necessary contrast detection.

Never mind the 7D, actually: my 2007 D300's continuous focus knocked any Oly mirrorless product to date well in to touch. One's after adequate CAF performance, which would be enough to dispel said envy.

Too much Oly gear.
Old 24th February 2015

Firmware Version 3.0

So, I have updated to firmware version 3.0 and have carried out a few practical tests. First of all, I must say that I was not encouraged by reports from early adopters that the changes only affected C-AF for Sequential H mode. We don't know this for sure, but the visible changes are only in Sequential H mode. I have tested C-AF with both Single shot and Sequential L mode and I don't think that, if there are any changes, they are very significant. So most of what follows is about C-AF with Sequential H mode.

The C-AF function really needs to be divided in to two parts; the initial focus acquisition before any shots have been taken and then how focus is maintained on a subject of varying range. The initial focus acquisition seems to be largely unchanged which is a shame because that is the most important bit in my opinion. It is possible that it there is a slightly longer delay until the beep and the green focus box confirmation but this is hard to be sure about.

Once you start shooting things are very different and really rather good, albeit with significant limitations. Once shooting starts, there is a short blackout between frames and then you see the image with the PDAF focus area outlined. At least that means it is probably actually using PDAF now! What's more, the focus is maintained very well. Accuracy seems very good. However, the big down side is that you don't get Live View between frames which obviously makes tracking the subject harder. However, at 9 fps and with a bit of manual prediction, it is possible. It also seems that the PDAF focusing is very good at fixing focus even if focus is not very good when first acquired. It is worth starting to shoot even if you haven't got a good AF fix because it will probably improve through the burst.

I think it is also the case that the camera is better at getting the subject rather than the background. This is again hard to be sure but I did get a few successes that I wouldn't necessarily have expected before. See the Magpies below.

So, in conclusion, C-AF in Sequential H mode is quite good. So much so, that I would actually use it in preference to C-AF with Sequential L, despite having no Live View. It does rather beg the question as to why Olympus didn't use the new C-AF method with Sequential L. Sigh...

... One step at a time I suppose. Why can't we configure this the way we want it! Grrr!

Anyway, here's a few examples. All are very heavy crops. E-M1 with 40-150 f/2.8 + MC-14 teleconverter at 210mm, f/5, Iso 400 and whatever shutter speed resulted from aperture priority mode.

The local Police helicopter. One of a series of about 8 shots, all with good focus.

A very distant glider. This is the last in a series of shots where the preceding shots were not sharp. A difficult subject.

This Magpie was in front of a tricky background.

Not the same Magpie but what I would call a good shot from about 60m.

This Buzzard wandered over quite high up.

Same bird, different burst.

And finally, a few shots of one of my favourites, a Raven. Not all from the same burst but they are all from a single fly-by.

That's all for now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyR For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (25th February 2015), mikel (24th February 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Greytop (24th February 2015), Melaka (24th February 2015), Nawty (24th February 2015), OM USer (24th February 2015)
Old 24th February 2015

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts

I have repeated Tony's text so that it fits on the page (I hope)

So, I have updated to firmware version 3.0 and have carried out a few practical tests. First of all, I must say that I was not encouraged by reports from early adopters that the changes only affected C-AF for Sequential H mode. We don't know this for sure, but the visible changes are only in Sequential H mode. I have tested C-AF with both Single shot and Sequential L mode and I don't think that, if there are any changes, they are very significant. So most of what follows is about C-AF with Sequential H mode.

The C-AF function really needs to be divided in to two parts; the initial focus acquisition before any shots have been taken and then how focus is maintained on a subject of varying range. The initial focus acquisition seems to be largely unchanged which is a shame because that is the most important bit in my opinion. It is possible that it there is a slightly longer delay until the beep and the green focus box confirmation but this is hard to be sure about.

Once you start shooting things are very different and really rather good, albeit with significant limitations. Once shooting starts, there is a short blackout between frames and then you see the image with the PDAF focus area outlined. At least that means it is probably actually using PDAF now! What's more, the focus is maintained very well. Accuracy seems very good. However, the big down side is that you don't get Live View between frames which obviously makes tracking the subject harder. However, at 9 fps and with a bit of manual prediction, it is possible. It also seems that the PDAF focusing is very good at fixing focus even if focus is not very good when first acquired. It is worth starting to shoot even if you haven't got a good AF fix because it will probably improve through the burst.

I think it is also the case that the camera is better at getting the subject rather than the background. This is again hard to be sure but I did get a few successes that I wouldn't necessarily have expected before. See the Magpies below.

So, in conclusion, C-AF in Sequential H mode is quite good. So much so, that I would actually use it in preference to C-AF with Sequential L, despite having no Live View. It does rather beg the question as to why Olympus didn't use the new C-AF method with Sequential L. Sigh...

... One step at a time I suppose. Why can't we configure this the way we want it! Grrr!

Anyway, here's a few examples. All are very heavy crops. E-M1 with 40-150 f/2.8 + MC-14 teleconverter at 210mm, f/5, Iso 400 and whatever shutter speed resulted from aperture priority mode.

The local Police helicopter. One of a series of about 8 shots, all with good focus.
mikel (24th February 2015)