Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 22nd January 2015

Liked 119 Times in 55 Posts
Re: 40-150 f/2.8 Pro with C-AF

The 40-150 Pro has great resolution. I downsampled the origianl to 1600 x 1067 to upload it to the gallery and put it in this post. The detail in the original is amazing :-).
Old 5th February 2015

Well it looks like the new E-M1 firmware version 3.0 might actually bring what I have been banging on about. i.e. Using PDAF more for C-AF with micro four thirds lenses. Here's the press release:
OLYMPUS ADVANCES FLAGSHIP CAMERA WITH INCREDIBLE SEQUENTIAL SHOOTING SPEED
Olympus Announces Firmware Version 3.0 for the Award Winning OM-D E-M1 with Improved Capabilities for Sequential Shooting
CENTER VALLEY, Pa., February 5, 2015 The award-winning flagship Olympus OM-D E-M1, featuring 5-axis image stabilization, TruePic VII image processor and tethered shooting, is now more impressive than ever before. With the introduction of new firmware Version 3.0, the weather-resistant camera is now capable of an impressive maximum 9 fps in the C-AF sequential shooting mode when using a Four Thirds or Micro Four Thirds lens, improving the ability to capture moving subjects.
The newest firmware upgrade features an enhanced algorithm for phase-detection, raising the former C-AF sequential shooting speed of 6.5 fps to a maximum high speed of 9 fps. With this update, AF tracking performance is improved when using continuous-AF (C-AF) Sequential H mode. When set to C-AF, 37-point on-chip phase detection AF is used. Now, when capturing a quick-moving subject, photographers never need to miss the shot. A maximum 10 fps remains available when set to single-AF (S-AF) Sequential H mode.
The update also adds support for the latest Version 2.5 of the Olympus Image Share Android and iOS app. Users can now select Movie as a shooting mode, and record movies while viewing the Live View screen on a smartphone.
I like the part where it says "When set to C-AF, 37-point on-chip phase detection AF is used." I'm less keen on the implication that maybe (only?) C-AF in sequential H mode is improved? The wording of Olympus press releases is always odd. Sequential H in C-AF didn't do tracking at all in H mode before. Presumably, the improvement is that it does now.

Anywho, improvements to C-AF are my main wish for the E-M1 so I'm really looking forward to the update .
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyR For This Useful Post:
Greytop (5th February 2015)
Old 5th February 2015

Thanked 1,302 Times in 1,017 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Well it looks like the new E-M1 firmware version 3.0 might actually bring what I have been banging on about. i.e. Using PDAF more for C-AF with micro four thirds lenses. Here's the press release:
Olympus Announces Firmware Version 3.0 for the Award Winning OM-D E-M1 with Improved Capabilities for Sequential Shooting
CENTER VALLEY, Pa., February 5, 2015 The award-winning flagship Olympus OM-D E-M1, featuring 5-axis image stabilization, TruePic VII image processor and tethered shooting, is now more impressive than ever before. With the introduction of new firmware Version 3.0, the weather-resistant camera is now capable of an impressive maximum 9 fps in the C-AF sequential shooting mode when using a Four Thirds or Micro Four Thirds lens, improving the ability to capture moving subjects.
The newest firmware upgrade features an enhanced algorithm for phase-detection, raising the former C-AF sequential shooting speed of 6.5 fps to a maximum high speed of 9 fps. With this update, AF tracking performance is improved when using continuous-AF (C-AF) Sequential H mode. When set to C-AF, 37-point on-chip phase detection AF is used. Now, when capturing a quick-moving subject, photographers never need to miss the shot. A maximum 10 fps remains available when set to single-AF (S-AF) Sequential H mode.
The update also adds support for the latest Version 2.5 of the Olympus Image Share Android and iOS app. Users can now select Movie as a shooting mode, and record movies while viewing the Live View screen on a smartphone.
I like the part where it says "When set to C-AF, 37-point on-chip phase detection AF is used." I'm less keen on the implication that maybe (only?) C-AF in sequential H mode is improved? The wording of Olympus press releases is always odd. Sequential H in C-AF didn't do tracking at all in H mode before. Presumably, the improvement is that it does now.

Anywho, improvements to C-AF are my main wish for the E-M1 so I'm really looking forward to the update .
This press release wording, is it official press release from Olympus or Olympus America? Anyhow, I'll keep quiet now.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 5th February 2015

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

The press release is ambigious in that although it is clear that C-AF will be available up to 9fps it is far from clear whether the actual focussing itself works better. Increased speed in itself is worthless if it just means more badly focussed shots to delete! I don't suppose we will know until the update is out and lots of people have tried it.
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (5th February 2015)
Old 5th February 2015

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

It's not released yet so no point in getting excited lol
Old 5th February 2015

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Oh allow me a little frisson of excitement please!
Old 13th February 2015

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts

Hi am new to olympus. I have just returned from a unhealthy holiday in fuerturventura all four of us picked some bug of a not known source the hotel had lots of people down with it. However due to the circumstances I had time to play in the room on the balcony with the 40-150 2.8 pro bought a few days before the holiday. In combination with the Em1. I placed the the combo with converter on my tripod pointing at a sail boat. Using c/af tracking. Pointing the cameras focus at the boat it was excellent. But how weird is this? I left the camera stationary! Not tracking the boat but locked on the tripod, The focus point was pointing at open ocean! The green square was wandering towards the side of the viewfinder tracking the boat, I fired off a few shots and all seemed to be in focus with the boat, going off to the side of the frame. I did this a couple of times with the same results. All frames were sharp. I then decided to try the BIF scenario, how strange the lens kept going in and out of focus as if it could not lock on ( by the way I was using single focus point) by the time it did lock on the bird was gone. Although the gulls I tried it out on were not to large in the frame I had them nailed with the single point very much of the time. I had much better luck getting focus on the gulls with single s/af, but only one maybe two would be in focus during a short burst of maybe 7-10 shots. I managed a day out to the local zoo. now locked up with Imodium, and visited the birds of prey area where the trainers were exercising a Eurasian eagle owl I managed to get an excellent BIF shot of the owl out of about 10 frames before I was dragged away from she who must be obeyed... I do realise and was advised when I wanted to go over to oly from canon to keep my canon stuff which I heeded for BIF shots. generally I have found the lens excellent for general photography I have not tried it on butterflies and dragonflies yet! Which is why I purchased the lens. it's a shame that olympus has missed a great opportunity with this lens. I do realise it's well short of focal length for BIF. And maybe the forthcoming firmware may make it better but I won't hold my breath. changing over from canon is still not regretted at this time.
Kind regards Mike
Old 13th February 2015

Mike,

If you use C-AF+Tr, the AF should work exactly as you have described with the boat shots on the tripod. The tracking bit works by following the subject by its colour and automatically moving the focus point, so it needs to be different from the background. Generally, most people have found that C-AF+Tr does not work very well. In your case, it probably worked because there was sea behind the boat at all times at about the same distance, so focus could not easily be lost.

With BIF shots, if the camera doesn't lock onto the bird, the focus can rack off trying to find something else to focus on. Since it can't focus on a blank sky (no contrast) it fails but it takes a long time to do it. By then, the bird is gone, as you found. It's my view that it shouldn't do this if it was using the pdaf sensors properly because it should know that there is something of interest at a certain range and not bother shooting off to infinity to try and find something better! We are hoping firmware update version 3.0 may fix this.

At the moment, I find C-AF (not C-AF+Tr) works to a degree for BIF as long as the bird is large enough in the frame when you start trying to track it. It is hard to know in advance what's large enough though.
Old 13th February 2015
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts

C-AF+Tr is basically an aid to composition - enhancing the action of focusing and recomposing - and is not designed for action photography. Colour is part of the tracking target process but pattern recognition is probably more important and it works similarly to face detection.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 13th February 2015
Administrator

To master C-AF when photographing birds in flight (BIF) I recommend a course by someone reputable like Andy Elliot, who knows Olympus cameras inside out for this application. Things to consider are the size of the AF-points, grouping them, adjusting parameters for controlling the dampening of the C-AF seeking action, etc., etc. Also, C-AF does not work in H (High-speed) continous shooting mode; only the first frame is autofocused - you need to use L (Low speed) continuous shooting (which is still 6.5fps and soon to be boosted to 9fps). The use of IS can also contribute to success rates and you my consider switching it off - and I haven't even mentioned metering!

Ian

Old 13th February 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketoll View Post
The press release is ambigious in that although it is clear that C-AF will be available up to 9fps it is far from clear whether the actual focussing itself works better. Increased speed in itself is worthless if it just means more badly focussed shots to delete! I don't suppose we will know until the update is out and lots of people have tried it.
On Monday I asked about this and was told that the algorithms have been improved. Personally I am only expecting an evolutionary rather than revolutionary improvement but there is a general opinion that C-AF has improved a fair bit since the camera first came out thanks to firmware updates.

Ian

Old 13th February 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post

Yes my interpretation is that the new firmware enables C-AF in H mode but that the frame rate drops from 10fps to 9fps when C-AF is in use. We will find out on the 24th

Ian

Old 13th February 2015

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts

thanks for your replies chaps, will wait for the upgrade later this month, let's hope it's all we want.
Kind regards mike
Old 13th February 2015

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Hi Ian
In Post #55, I'd be grateful if you could just clarify your statement "The use of IS can also contribute to success rates and you may consider switching it off".

Not too clear how to read this! My first reaction is that you're suggesting that using IS could be detrimental to good results..............is that correct?

Sorry if I appear 'thick'!

Thanks
Graham
Old 13th February 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_jester View Post
Hi Ian
In Post #55, I'd be grateful if you could just clarify your statement "The use of IS can also contribute to success rates and you may consider switching it off".

Not too clear how to read this! My first reaction is that you're suggesting that using IS could be detrimental to good results..............is that correct?

Sorry if I appear 'thick'!

Thanks
Graham
IS can slow down the frame rate and I personally suspect that it can potentially add blur at some shutter speeds, but you are best talking to Andy Elliot

Ian

The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
graham_jester (13th February 2015)