Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 24th February 2015

Thanked 1,248 Times in 937 Posts
Liked 5,950 Times in 1,939 Posts
Interesting comparison - E-M1 vs XT-1 vs A7

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/0...vs-full-frame/

Seems the Oly won!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Greytop (25th February 2015), themosttogain (24th February 2015)
Old 24th February 2015

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Re: Interesting comparison - E-M1 vs XT-1 vs A7

Interesting, although we know that Steve is a m4/3 enthusiast, so his preferences will unconsciously show through. His photos do seem to show, to this m4/3 enthusiast, that the EM1 is best all round.

I'm perfectly satisfied with my collection of cameras, for now, although I am looking forward to seeing what the EM1 MkII will do. Look out credit cards when that launches!

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
Old 24th February 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts

But, but, there was no test for BIF.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th February 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,569 Times in 901 Posts

Quote:
At the end of the day these cameras can all do a great job, but it will be personal preference as to which one is best for you.
Something I tell people when they ask me about cameras.

I've done a lot of comparisons over the years (for work purchases) and the cost benefit is often key to the decision.

I've stayed with Olympus purely because the end results are excellent and the system suits me.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 24th February 2015

Thanked 1,150 Times in 1,025 Posts
Liked 1,230 Times in 800 Posts

Makes interesting reading.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 24th February 2015

Thanked 1,248 Times in 937 Posts
Liked 5,950 Times in 1,939 Posts

Steve Huff's comments about the Fuji having NR is raw files that cannot be turned off rings completely true for me. As I documented in another thread here, I took a few shots with an XT1 in a shop and on looking at the files at home I was immediately shocked and impressed with the Fuji's apparently much superior noise handling compared to my Oly gear.

I was seriously thinking of swapping, but then I did some more pixel peeping and playing around in Lightroom and realised that in fact I could get very close to the Fuji's output from my E-M5 just by dialing in NR and adjusting sharpening slightly. Moreover, I could see some odd artefacts (e.g. on skin tones) from the Fuji that I didn't see on the E-M5 (or E-M1).

The conclusion I came to is that: (a) the Fuji sensor is actually not significantly better than the Oly sensor for NR; and (b) the processing of X-trans raw files (at least by Lightroom) introduces some odd artefacts. I found this article subsequently which shows some other odd effects from the X-trans sensor too.

Net, net - I'm still pretty convinced that the Oly u43 system is the best compromise for me regarding quality/size/weight.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (25th February 2015)
Old 24th February 2015

Liked 105 Times in 36 Posts

I haven't read the Steve Huff article but my Dad has the X-Pro1 and I'm not convinced that the raw XTrans files are much if any better than the newest generation of m43 sensors - especially if you use LR which doesn't appear to do them any favours. I have three cameras with (m)43 sensors plus the original X100 - I love love love the latter, but don't think the move to XTrans in the newer models has done the image quality any favours. The X lens system is also excellent but pricey - we're very lucky in m43-land to have so many good lenses available now, some of which at excellent prices.

Finally, I took a look at an XT-1 in Curry's (where else?) over the weekend and have to say that compared to the EM1 or my X100 and GX-7 I was a little underwhelmed by the build quality - peeling rubber grips off the front panel didn't do it any favours, and the whole thing felt a little lightweight somehow.
Old 25th February 2015
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I'd like to start by saying that I've not read Huff's essay, just the comments arising from it on the various forums. Even when I owned an Olympus, I felt that his opinions weren't worth considering.

Most digital cameras of this calibre are more than capable of giving excellent results – it's really down to personal preference and brand loyalty.

My experience with the Fuji X-T1 seems to be at odds with what others are saying.

Firstly, build quality. I handled the Fuji alongside my E-M1 before purchase, and believe me, I wouldn't have bought it had it been any less well-built. My particular camera is almost a year old – I bought it used – and shows no signs of rubber peeling or any of the other defects which cameras like the Olympus E-1 suffered from. It is solid, and all dials are firm yet easy to turn.

Next, image quality. Now, I don't pixel-peep, and don't care if any invisible sharpening is done in-camera. I have most settings turned down to zero or minus, and I can get the results I want from Lightroom. I have learned to handled the files differently, but it's a different camera. Capture One can give better results in skilled hands, but I've yet to master its interface. I don't suffer from blotchy greens, and as I don't take pictures of people, I don't notice any skin problems.

So, image quality for my purposes is on a par with the E-M5 and slightly ahead of the E-M1. Yes, I've got that the right way round. In hindsight I preferred my original E-M5 to my subsequent E-M1. For undefinable reasons – I just did.

But the greatest draw to the X-T1 is in its controls. My brain has deteriorated to the state that I can no longer remember what function I have assigned to which Fn button. I need to look down at the camera in my hands and be able to see at a glance how to change the shutter speed, ISO, exposure compensation, drive mode, metering mode, self-timer and bracketing, and have separate, marked, controls for AE lock and AF lock. Those things are important to me.

Would I buy another Olympus? Yes, in a heartbeat. If the controls were more analogue and intuitive. And I hope that Olympus may read this and bear at least some of it in mind for future developments, because surely I'm not alone in not wanting to control a camera as if it's a computer (which it is!).

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Last edited by StephenL; 25th February 2015 at 09:52 AM. Reason: apawling spelinj
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (25th February 2015)
Old 25th February 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

If I was performing camera reviews, I would apply a weighting system, more marks would be allocated to any camera with manual controls. It's so important.

on flickr
StephenL (25th February 2015)
Old 25th February 2015

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

Yes, like everyone Steve Huff brings his own baggage along to every review, and we have all invested in one place or another!

I Take the general conclusion that all three of these cameras are capable of taking fantastic pictures, and recommend the principle of going for the camera that feels best in the hand and whose controls allow you to do what you want to do most quickly and reliably (for the sort of photography you yourself mainly do). I.e. I'm agreeing with Ricoh's post.

As a result I would always counsel great care before people swap manufacturer systems based on 'performance'. It's inevitably expensive and unlikely IMHO to yield the real benefits hoped for.

The main message in the review for me is that for most real-life purposes that don't involve a fast-moving subject one doesn't need to hump around a full frame body and corresponding lenses.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 25th February 2015

Liked 292 Times in 150 Posts

Interesting review from Steve Huff and despite any slight bias he may have toward the EM-1 I still feel his conclusion was a fair one.

I am using full frame more now than my Mu43 EM-1 system and for a while (very short) did toy with trading in my EM-1 kit to fund a 2nd full frame body and lens, the overall experience and results from the EM-1 prevented me from following that through and my EM-1 kit remains firmly in my arsenal.

My only gripe with the EM-1 is when shooting off camera flash, I do find lag between pressing the shutter and the camera firing - not a lot but enough to concern me at times and it is not focus as I have prefocussed already and locked it.

The EM-1 will remail a back up to my full frame for paid work "just in case" and I am waiting to see what the new firmware 3.0 will deliver.
Old 25th February 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

I'm less interested in the brand of camera and more interested in the results. Looking at your blog 571 Photography, I can see why you get paid. Yesterday's shoot at Weston-Super-Mare are brilliant. Were they taken with a full or cropped sensor?

on flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
Iansky (25th February 2015)
Old 25th February 2015

Liked 292 Times in 150 Posts

Thanks Steve you are most kind,

The Weston shots were taken with the full frame but there are quite a few posts with the Mu43 on my site, my last event that I shot with the EM1 was this one:

http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk...d-vintage.html

The EM-1 is a great camera for this type of event and an easy carry all day!