Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 612 Times in 421 Posts
Re: Using the P mode?

I've never really thought about using P mode. Aperture priority does the job for sports - generally I want minimum depth of field and fast shutter speed so lens wide open and A mode does the job. And for stage work, the lighting will fool any auto exposure measurement so I set it all manually and accept the occasional cock-up.

But this article is quite thought-provoking. And having had a look and seen how easy it is to use program shift, this looks like a good option for general-purpose work. Now all I have to do is remember to try it!

John
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (1 Week Ago), Zuiko (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 2,338 Times in 750 Posts

Like Bikie John I hadn't even thought about using P Mode. I was led to believe that 'real photographers' don't use it, so I restricted myself to A and S modes. It hasn't worked, though as I am still not a 'real photographer'. I also have to admit that I have never used video mode or art filters. I suppose they are on my camera somewhere. Perhaps I should be a bit more adventurous and see what other technological delights are buried deep inside my highly advanced and expensive piece of equipment.

Ron
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (1 Week Ago), Zuiko (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanked 1,200 Times in 1,117 Posts
Liked 1,604 Times in 806 Posts

I'm in camp 1 too Paul with the vast majority in A mode. However, I do intend to try P mode out, that's when I remember to do it that is. I was out all day yesterday and forgot
The Following User Liked This Post:
AMc (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,916 Times in 983 Posts

Always used to use P mode with my little EPL-5. Works well in "general" conditions whatever they are. But mainly use Aperture Priority now, and quite often the manual for BIF etc. With Wildlife photos, I do need the aperture to be as wide open as possible to allow for faster shutter speeds....

But on the very odd occasions I have used AUTO, it certainly sorts out the flash when needed...

My Flickr