Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 29th January 2008

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts
iso bracketing

Went out early yesterday morning to get some HDR shots so I put the camera on exposure bracket, or so I thought. Got home and looked at them on the monitor and the histogram is the same for them all, no over or under shots. When I checked, I had put the camera on iso bracketing by mistake!
Can anyone tell me why the E 3 has this facility, I cannot for the life of me think of any good reason, except to catch me out
Dave.
Old 30th January 2008

Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
Re: iso bracketing

Hi

I would have expected ISO bracketing to under and over exposure just the same as if you bracketed with aperture or shutter speed.

One problem is if you set it at ISO 100 to start with then it will not be able to decrease the exposure as it can not go below 100.

I did wonder if ISO bracketing would work in HDR but have not had any time to try it out.
Old 30th January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
Hi

I would have expected ISO bracketing to under and over exposure just the same as if you bracketed with aperture or shutter speed.

One problem is if you set it at ISO 100 to start with then it will not be able to decrease the exposure as it can not go below 100.

I did wonder if ISO bracketing would work in HDR but have not had any time to try it out.
I wouldn't.
When bracketing exposure, camera exposes 3 shots, 1 correct, 1 under & 1 over exposed.
With the iso bracketing the camera just adjusts the shutter speed/aperture to get the correct exposure so all shots are correctly exposed.
Frustrating.

Dave.
Old 30th January 2008

Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
I wouldn't.
When bracketing exposure, camera exposes 3 shots, 1 correct, 1 under & 1 over exposed.
With the iso bracketing the camera just adjusts the shutter speed/aperture to get the correct exposure so all shots are correctly exposed.
Frustrating.

Dave.
Not sure what happened and I haven't been able to test but the manual on page 51 states: ISO Bracketing. The camera automatically takes pictures at a different ISO sensitivity with the shutter speed and aperature value fixed.
Old 30th January 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thats correct but what way does it do it?

If you wanted to lock the aperture and allow the iso bracket to adjust the shutter speed would you shoot in A or S?

The other thing is that you only actually take 1 shot but the camera creates 3 files at different iso ratings. I tried in A mode and it the exif gives the same shutter speed and aperture for all 3 shots, the only difference is in the recorded iso.
Old 30th January 2008

Liked 881 Times in 403 Posts

Dave

When you bracket exposure does it take all three with one shutter press or do you have to take three shots?

I was doing adjustment manually today using the +/- button and wheel but it would be far better to get it automatically if it is simple. I find the manual very little help on technique, it just says how things operate so sorry if this si a dumb question.

Peter.
Old 30th January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
Dave

When you bracket exposure does it take all three with one shutter press or do you have to take three shots?

I was doing adjustment manually today using the +/- button and wheel but it would be far better to get it automatically if it is simple. I find the manual very little help on technique, it just says how things operate so sorry if this si a dumb question.

Peter.
Peter.
You have to take three shots. First time I did it I expected the camera to take three shots and came back dissapointed.
What a learning curve!
Dave.
Old 30th January 2008
Ijay37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Peter.
You have to take three shots. First time I did it I expected the camera to take three shots and came back dissapointed.
What a learning curve!
Dave.
Sorry to disagree but you have to set the camera to sequential shooting as well as setting the bracketing you require, it will then take 3 or 5 shots with one press of the shutter button, and it is very fast
John
Old 31st January 2008

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijay37 View Post
Sorry to disagree but you have to set the camera to sequential shooting as well as setting the bracketing you require, it will then take 3 or 5 shots with one press of the shutter button, and it is very fast
John
But it seems that you can't use the IR remote control when you use sequential shooting - which means if you're manually pressing the shutter you could inadvertently move the camera between shots, which is not what you'd want with HDR.

Jim Ford
Old 31st January 2008
Ijay37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
But it seems that you can't use the IR remote control when you use sequential shooting - which means if you're manually pressing the shutter you could inadvertently move the camera between shots, which is not what you'd want with HDR.

Jim Ford
Sorry again, I have no experience of the IR remote. Just a stab in the dark but could you make any use of the mirror lockup? The cable remote works OK but they are expensive and not all that long. Hope you find a solution.
John