Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 10th October 2009
EH1

Smile Will an EC-20 work with Sigma lenses?

I am looking to buy an EC-20, & would like to know if it will only work with Oly glass or weather it will also work with Sigma`s ?
Old 10th October 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Will an EC-20 work with Sigma lenses?

Well the 1.4 works with Sigma glass - as they are 4/3'rds lenses shouldn't be a problem other than light loss.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 10th October 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Yes, the EC20 does work with Sigma lenses. I had a Bigma and used it to try out with the EC20 once. Lot's of light loss of course, but a whopping 1000mm (2000 efl) lens is the result.

Old 10th October 2009
EH1

Smile Re: Will an EC-20 work with Sigma lenses?

Thanks both for the info!
Old 10th October 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,233 Posts
Liked 1,653 Times in 740 Posts

Yes, an EC-20 will work with Sigma Four Thirds lenses, but I urge you to think carefully about using an EC-20 because you lose 2 whole stops of brightness. If the lens, any brand, you use it with is not brighter than average (f/2.8 and brighter) you may experience autofocus unreliability. And you need to stop down anyway to get optimum sharpness, by which time the shutter speed will have increased to the point that camera shake becomes a major issue. The EC-14 is much more forgiving as it only loses 1 stop and is less of an optical compromise.

Which lens did you want to use it with?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 10th October 2009
EH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Yes, an EC-20 will work with Sigma Four Thirds lenses, but I urge you to think carefully about using an EC-20 because you lose 2 whole stops of brightness. If the lens, any brand, you use it with is not brighter than average (f/2.8 and brighter) you may experience autofocus unreliability. And you need to stop down anyway to get optimum sharpness, by which time the shutter speed will have increased to the point that camera shake becomes a major issue. The EC-14 is much more forgiving as it only loses 1 stop and is less of an optical compromise.

Which lens did you want to use it with?

Ian
Aha!....................now I know why lots of people have the EC-14 & hardly anyone seems to have the EC-20, knowing this I may go for the EC-14 instead. I knew these meant loss of light, but I thought it was half a stop on the EC-14 & 1 stop on the EC-20, so i`m very pleased you let me know............................thanks Ian!
Old 10th October 2009
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the EC-14 and the EC-20. I use the EC-14 most of the time.

I agree with Ian about the EC-20 being used with fast glass. You can use it on the 50-200, but only if you up the ISO or have lots of light.
Old 10th October 2009
Senior

Liked 158 Times in 58 Posts
Angry Re: Will an EC-20 work with Sigma lenses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH1 View Post
I am looking to buy an EC-20, & would like to know if it will only work with Oly glass or weather it will also work with Sigma`s ?
Yes, it will work. I occasionally use one with my Sigma f2.8 150 macro, but in hindsight I think I would have got more use from an EC-14 due to the light loss.

Stewart
Old 10th October 2009
EH1

Thankyou all! for your comments, I think I will go for the EC-14 now I have this information!