Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 1st March 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OM Lenses on 4/3

Hi all,

I am thinking about experimenting with OM lenses on my E-510/520.

I have already ordered an adapter ring, so what next?

I am scanning for second hand lenses but is there anything else I should know?

I know that some of the auto functionality will not work, but what else?

First basic question (stupid as I know people do use old OM Lenses on 4/3 but I'll ask anyway) is it safe: it wont screw-up the electronics in anyway? I plan to try it on my older E-510 first just in case.

Next what should I look for in a lens. If I get a F1.8 50mm, how are the aperture and focal length affected?

At the end of the day I am happy with the lenses I have but I'd like to have a play.

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st March 2009
mike_j

Re: OM Lenses on 4/3

Welcome to the LLU (legacy lens user) club - great fun and relatively cheap.

Don't worry - most legacy lenses won't hurt your camera. Just check that there are no parts of the lens projecting backwards into the mirror box that can touch the contacts or mirror.

You need to go into the menu system and select the option to allow the camera to work without a lens. This is because the camera has no electrical signals from the lens so doesn't know it's there.

Some lenses have an auto/manual switch, move this to manual. Others will be put into manual automatically by the adaptor. This is the case with my OM 50mm

After that it is just a matter of working in Aperture priority, manual focus. As the aperture is stopped down you will find the E510 viewfinder gets pretty dark. Live view zoom helps greatly with focussing. Focal length and aperture are as marked on the lens, no change. You may need to adjust exposure compensation and colour balance on some lenses for best effect.

IS will work on the E510. You have to tell the camera what the focal length of the lens you are using is.

We live quite close so if you want to borrow a couple of lenses send me a pm.

Choice of lenses - primes are generally better bets than zooms. OMs apart from the 50mm f1.8 are fairly pricey. Some of the Pentax lenses and Tamrons are good value. Make sure you don't buy any lenses with electrically operated aperture control - it must be manually controllable. That's about it - have fun.
Old 1st March 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mike,

Thanks for the information - it has put my mind at rest. Also thanks for the kind offer; it would be good to meet up. I'm hoping that things will calm down a little at work and allow me to get out a little more later in March. I have tried to put local (to me, and I guess you!) events in the Calendar. Opportunities to take the family out and the cameras.

Regards

Graydon
Old 1st March 2009
Archphoto

The easy way to get good pic's: set the camera on A(perture prefered).
Works great !

Peter
Old 2nd March 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lots of info here, including links to other sites:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/om_four_thirds_adapter/

The most important site for OM lenses, I would suggest is John Foster's "Biofos" site ( http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_e1.html ), which includes comparative tests of many OM lenses.

Some third party lenses (including those made by Tamron, Vivitar and Sigma for OM) also give truly excellent results, and of course, for a few pounds extra adaptors can be had for any of the major 35mm marques excluding Canon. A few medium format lens adaptors are also available.

The rules of thumb seem to be:
  • 50mm and longer focal lengths give better results than wider angles
  • Faster lenses are not always better than "normal" speeds (ie the 50mm f1.2 is outperformed by the 50mm f1.8 unless stopped down slighly)
  • Zooms are almost always always slightly soft, but may well still give eminently usable results
  • Focussing accurately is not easy on the E4xx and E5xx, especially in less than perfect light. Live view helps a lot - split image viewfinder screens are also available, but see the many discussions on these for the pros and cons.

One point not made already: centre-weighted metering tends to give best results. Matrix and (to a lesser extent) spot seem to be fooled by the excess light spilling around from (much larger) imaging area. It has been suggested that cutting and fitting a baffle for the body end of the 35mm-format lens helps, but I haven't tried it myself.
Old 2nd March 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,569 Times in 901 Posts

I'm always experimenting with various different setups. One of my favorites is the Olympus Bellows with the 80mm Bellows Macro. I can use the Digital to get the composition as I want it, then swap the body to shoot on slide film.

As far as I tell the best results come from my 24mm f/2.8 However I have (having been following this thread) just tried my Tokina 80-200 f/2.8 (the lens Olympus really should have made) The results were very good and surprisingly so considering I only tried it hand held at 200mm. The IS was set to 200 and it does a fantastic job.

I've rarely had a problem with focusing, but now we have live view and magnified assistance, it's all becoming very easy.

The big problem now seems to be, that as a lot of people have cottoned on to this the prices on ebay have gone up.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 2nd March 2009
mike_j

OM 50mm f1.8 10 and Tamron 300mm f5.6 SP with Adaptall to OM adapter 50 at Cottenham Camera Fair yesterday. I don't think we are priced out of the market yet I'm pleased to say.
Old 2nd March 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Many thanks everyone for the useful advice.

Regards

Graydon