Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 30th December 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
A few from Snowdon...

My oh my, I do enjoy attempting landscapes, especially in an area as beautiful as Snowdonia, but I am not very good at it and really do need to practice more.

The weather was brilliant today, and I managed to take loads of shots, with all manner of settings, and different filters used to take advantage of the gorgeous light; but alas... only a few keepers out of a bad bunch.

Here's two for starters, both taken with the oly 11-22mm:

#1: Reflections reflections... still water!

#2: Lonely tree!

Enjoy, as ever, all C&C welcome.

Old 30th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: A few from Snowdon...

It looks awfully cold, even without any visible frost.

What filters did you use for these?
Old 31st December 2008
Henk

What a beautiful place, it must be very frustrating John to have much less keepers than you expected to.

First thing that strikes me in both images is the high cyan level, especially in the sky. This may be corrected by adjusting the WB.

Then there is the huge light fall-off most likely caused by using a polarizer on the 11-22. It has darkened the corner of the tree in the second image so much that you can hardly see the top of the tree. I fell in the same pit and decided not to use the polarizer on the 11-22 anymore and do the "polarizing" for landscape in PP.

The dark r/h top corner in the first image can be easily corrected with clone-stamp or whatever equivalent the program you use has.

Shooting blue sky at f11 will reveal dust on the sensor and I'm afraid it shows in the second image. There is a circular artifact in the left of the image where the sky changes from blue/cyan to white. I once used a small blower successfully to remove dust from the sensor of the E-3 that the dustbuster could not remove.

I do like the compositions, the reflection and the lonely tree!t-up
Old 31st December 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
It looks awfully cold, even without any visible frost.

What filters did you use for these?
Hi Ellie - it was very cold, in fact in Porthmdog which is at sea level and on the coast (where we stayed) it was -5 overnight and so up in the hills of Snowdonia it was no suprise that the lakes were covered with 1" thick ice. Heather had loads of fun breaking it!!

As for filters; I used a circular polariser and an ND4 graduated filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk View Post
What a beautiful place, it must be very frustrating John to have much less keepers than you expected to.

First thing that strikes me in both images is the high cyan level, especially in the sky. This may be corrected by adjusting the WB.

Then there is the huge light fall-off most likely caused by using a polarizer on the 11-22. It has darkened the corner of the tree in the second image so much that you can hardly see the top of the tree. I fell in the same pit and decided not to use the polarizer on the 11-22 anymore and do the "polarizing" for landscape in PP.

The dark r/h top corner in the first image can be easily corrected with clone-stamp or whatever equivalent the program you use has.

Shooting blue sky at f11 will reveal dust on the sensor and I'm afraid it shows in the second image. There is a circular artifact in the left of the image where the sky changes from blue/cyan to white. I once used a small blower successfully to remove dust from the sensor of the E-3 that the dustbuster could not remove.

I do like the compositions, the reflection and the lonely tree!t-up
Thanks Henk for the comments.

Yes you're right about the dark patches on some images when using the polariser with the 11-22mm. I must get my circular polariser marked up so I can easily determine the orientation once it is mounted in my filter holder as doing so with the filter on camera is not so easy and as you can see from what you have pointed out, I often got it wrong.

Not too frustrating re the ratio of the number of takes/keepers, as I have a lot to learn re landscape photography; which is an area I am simply not very good at taking good shots in at all, and I have a lot to learn. I intentionally experimented and took loads of shots, so I could study the results and see what I did right and more often... what I did wrong!! For landscape - one of my many weak areas - I am pleased with some of them.

As for dust on the sensor... thankfully this was down to a smudge on the ND4 filter and not on the sensor

Old 31st December 2008

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
My oh my, I do enjoy attempting landscapes, especially in an area as beautiful as Snowdonia, but I am not very good at it and really do need to practice more.

The weather was brilliant today, and I managed to take loads of shots, with all manner of settings, and different filters used to take advantage of the gorgeous light; but alas... only a few keepers out of a bad bunch.

Here's two for starters, both taken with the oly 11-22mm:

#1: Reflections reflections... still water!

#2: Lonely tree!

Enjoy, as ever, all C&C welcome.
Good effort John.
Not sure the horizon is level on the first shot, I know it is not easy to see in PP sometimes, or even when taking them
I agree with Henk, second one, the top is a shade too dark for me. I did the same thing when I got my grad filter.
I love the area around Snowdon. Just where were these shots taken?
Old 31st December 2008

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts

Quote:
Hi Ellie - it was very cold, in fact in Porthmdog which is at sea level and on the coast (where we stayed) it was -5 overnight and so up in the hills of Snowdonia it was no suprise that the lakes were covered with 1" thick ice. Heather had loads of fun breaking it!!

Brrrrrrrr!!
Old 31st December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For someone who claims not to be good at landscape, they look pretty darn good to me! I agree about polas and the 11-22, however. I find ND grads give better and more controllable results - including, sometimes, knocking back the foreground a bit as well as the sky.

I envy you even at -5 - the last few times I've been to Yr Wyffa it's been shrouded in cloud!
Old 31st December 2008

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Nice pics John and you had great weather instead of the usall grey clouds, I should get up to Wales for a day as I have not been up there for a long time.

I love the second one but do agree about the over polarized sky, thats the problem with wide ange lenses and polarizers that one part of the sky polarizes more depending on your angle to the sun. I would not give up with that image as it is well worth rescuing in Photoshop using adjustment layers.

Hope you do not mind, tell me if you do and i will remove it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 31st December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Oooh, that picture brings back memories of being up in Snowdonia on New Year's Day with the sole intention of throwing myself into a frozen quarry to see what it was like under the ice.

Hmm, the things you do (did)!

Quote:
I always forget to take the UV filter off when I use the polariser, the combination gives some quite strange results.