Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 29th December 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,440 Times in 1,229 Posts
Liked 1,644 Times in 736 Posts
Christmas with Lara

Hi everyone - sorry I haven't been online for a few days. The whole of December has been immensely tiring and Christmas week (we were entertaining) really knocked me out. The batteries are recharging and I'm getting back in to the groove.

I was rather saddened to see that Chillimonster was forced to request the removal of his Nikon D700 pictures - which inspired me to produce the shots shown further down this page. I don't feel he's doing anything wrong and I hope that we don't all get hyper-sensitive about other camera brands. Chillimonster raised some interesting issues about photography through his experiences with both his Olympus gear and his new Nikon D700. I don't personally feel the D700 is a direct competitor to anything from Olympus. It's a bit like comparing an 35mm DSLR with a medium format DSLR - both can do certain things well which the other can't.

Anyway - to my pictures, featuring my youngest daughter and very patient and willing model - Lara (10), which combined the theme of Christmas and low DOF. I used the superb Zuiko Digital 14-35 f/2 @35mm and f/2.0 for these shots. Unlike Chillimonster, I used available light instead of flash. Comments welcome

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 29th December 2008
Chillimonster

Re: Christmas with Lara

Hi Ian,

I certainly prefer the second of the two shots, but would it have worked better with the right eye in focus rater than the left eye, as this means you have to go past the OOF eye to get to the plane of focus??

Do you have any more to share?

As for the use of flash in mine, as well as some of the reasons on the now removed thread, i was also passing the camera around and rather than explain things, its just sometimes easier for all concerned to raise the flash, dial in some -ve flash exposure and job done - well exposed pictures.

I also had pleanty of available light pictures, but due to no decent directional light source the eyes just did not have that certian sparkle / catchlight (if you know what i mean)
Old 29th December 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,139 Times in 2,448 Posts
Liked 4,436 Times in 2,103 Posts

Nice pictures, Ian, which will not only be a treasured family record in years to come but also demonstrate the merits of the 14-35mm lens. The wonderful bokeh created by the defocused Christmas lights proves that, at f2, this lens really can deliver differential focus on a 4/3 sensor, with scalpel-like sharpness where it's needed.

I'd almost kill for this lens. Don't ever lend it to me again, Ian, you might not get it back! And I know choice of camera equipment is a very personal decision but, graced with the funds to invest in a D700, EOS5DII or whatever, I'd keep my E3 and purchase this lens instead!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 30th December 2008
Makonde

#1 is beautifully clear and smooth with lovely colour and bokeh.

#2 I think is of the type I mentioned in the *other* thread, where there's insufficient depth of field for my taste. I'd prefer the whole of Lara's face to be in focus, or all of it soft with the background tree in focus. But that's just my preference.

Imagine what #2 would be like at that aperture with FF35mm depth of field - just her nose in focus LOL.....
Old 30th December 2008
Henk

Very nice Christmas pics of your beautiful daughter Ian, I wish my daughter (14) would pose like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I was rather saddened to see that Chillimonster was forced to request the removal of his Nikon D700 pictures - which inspired me to produce the shots shown further down this page.
No need to delete the thread, some people were admiring the shallow DOF and I thought the images shown were just a bad example. Which is proven by the images of Lara you post here.