Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Old 19th February 2015

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts
Re: Olympus unveils OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Maybe we can attach a bit of string to the screen so you can pull it out easily. And then hack the EVF so works with the screen out.

Your D750 screen is just as bad as the E-M5 mk 1 in portrait orientation. And has a paltry 24MP output. Pah!
Old 19th February 2015

Liked 357 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian p View Post
Maybe we can attach a bit of string to the screen so you can pull it out easily. And then hack the EVF so works with the screen out.
Lol, yeah stick one of those tabs on like you get in some of those battery compartments

I'm sure if it bothers a lot of users and Olly get enough feedback it should be a relatively easy software update?
Old 19th February 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

Perhaps someone going to one of the "Open Days" can get a definitive answer on this.

http://www.olympus-imagespace.co.uk/whats-on/

I will be going to the event on the 10th. and will ask any outstanding questions then.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Wee man (19th February 2015)
Old 19th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Perhaps someone going to one of the "Open Days" can get a definitive answer on this.

http://www.olympus-imagespace.co.uk/whats-on/

I will be going to the event on the 10th. and will ask any outstanding questions then.

I might go on Saturday, depends how busy I am. At least then it gives me chance to cancel my order if I hate it
Old 19th February 2015

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian p View Post
That's not possible with the twisty screen.
Yeah, I forgot it does that.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 19th February 2015

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi I watched the Italian Video, when the screen is articulated ie out to the side this disables the evf as a safty feature, but is en-abled when it is up against the body, Which I think this is a good thing. Oh and about the being able to pull out the screen to the side etc... They had no problems with that it seemed quite easy like E3 E5 E30 screen flip, Maybe that one was a little stiff and may Free
up with use.

Dave
Old 19th February 2015
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

From memory the screen works just like an E-M1 or E-M10 when facing out but flush with the back of the body. The EVF is disabled when the screen is articulated from the back of the body.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 20th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
From memory the screen works just like an E-M1 or E-M10 when facing out but flush with the back of the body. The EVF is disabled when the screen is articulated from the back of the body.

Ian
I think this is the video that I was referring to at first when the EVF does deactivate the LCD when the screen is out, so I'm guessing that it's only when the screen is fully extended that the EVF becomes obsolete. Hopefully I'll know for sure tomorrow. I really like how you can display both the level and the histogram on the display at the same time, hopefully this will be on photo too and not just video. Having level and histogram would be extremely useful for my landscapes

Skip to 8.25
Old 20th February 2015

Liked 430 Times in 198 Posts

On the EM-1 you can arrange to have the histogram on the EVF and the level gauge becomes visible once you have half-way pressed the shutter provided that you set
Menu Cog J - "Built in EVF Style" to 1 or 2 (note that the default setting = 3 does not support half way level).
You also need to set Menu Cog J - "Half way level" = ON.

With luck this functionality will also appear in the EM-5 MkII given that it has the same high res EVF as the EM-1.
Old 20th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
On the EM-1 you can arrange to have the histogram on the EVF and the level gauge becomes visible once you have half-way pressed the shutter provided that you set
Menu Cog J - "Built in EVF Style" to 1 or 2 (note that the default setting = 3 does not support half way level).
You also need to set Menu Cog J - "Half way level" = ON.

With luck this functionality will also appear in the EM-5 MkII given that it has the same high res EVF as the EM-1.
I think I can do this on the EM10 too, but it would be useful for me to have both histogram and level visible all the time whilst composing a shot on the tripod using the rear LCD.
Old 20th February 2015

Liked 846 Times in 238 Posts

I had a play with the new E-M5 MkII this evening at Ffordes (thanks Simon for the 'heads-up') and my verdict is I like it and would like one at some point.
It is slightly bigger and heavier than the E-M10, but feels more 'solidly built'. I like the locking mode dial, the extra function buttons and their layout and I can imagine it being ideal for my big hands with the grip(s) attached, but what I really like is the articulated screen. The screens have been the downside of the m4/3s bodies I have owned and finally the flippy out screen has returned.
I didn't have long with the camera so haven't got any negatives to report; the staff member said someone had taken images on it earlier including using the 40MP option and everyone had been very impressed with the results.
I made a casual enquiry about the trade-in value of my E-5 while I was there and once I picked myself up off the floor I declined their kind offer - it looks like it will be a fair while before I step up to the E-M5 MkII but I can see it being a great success for Olympus.

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
snerkler (20th February 2015)
Old 20th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMacD View Post
I had a play with the new E-M5 MkII this evening at Ffordes (thanks Simon for the 'heads-up') and my verdict is I like it and would like one at some point.
It is slightly bigger and heavier than the E-M10, but feels more 'solidly built'. I like the locking mode dial, the extra function buttons and their layout and I can imagine it being ideal for my big hands with the grip(s) attached, but what I really like is the articulated screen. The screens have been the downside of the m4/3s bodies I have owned and finally the flippy out screen has returned.
I didn't have long with the camera so haven't got any negatives to report; the staff member said someone had taken images on it earlier including using the 40MP option and everyone had been very impressed with the results.
I made a casual enquiry about the trade-in value of my E-5 while I was there and once I picked myself up off the floor I declined their kind offer - it looks like it will be a fair while before I step up to the E-M5 MkII but I can see it being a great success for Olympus.
Sounds good, thanks for sharing. I'm a bit nervous about it as it's the first time I've ordered a camera without having hands on experience first How did you find the new thumb rest, and the front grip compared to the EM10? Also, how did you find the new eyepiece, hopefully I'll find it better than the EM10 as it's probably my only gripe with the EM10? Finally, did it feel significantly heavier, or just a bit?
Old 20th February 2015

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts

[QUOTE=ian p. Some cameras have the twisty screen mounted on a flip-up hinge. You get the best of both worlds.[/QUOTE]

I thought that exactly! Why not. It would have added a few mm but surely that wouldn't have been an issue for anyone, Johnny Ive can't be running the design dept. I don't use the screen often for composing but have found low shots useful with tilting the screen out. I've never used a fully articulated screen and I just can't see me wanting to use it if it's protruding I the side, it's vulnerable and off centre to what you're trying to compose. Then again once I get to actually hold one it may be a non issue. Being new to m4/3 I've decided I'm a convert and want to move up from the Em10. I love this little thing but would love an even better EVF and I NEED 2 more buttons for quick changes.. I was ready to jump on the 5ii but seriously thinking about the em1 now to avoid that screen. Then again get the 5ii and have it as a backup when the em1ii comes
Old 20th February 2015

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts

Anyone know when the grip will be available? Wex said probably a couple of weeks after the 5ii is available.
Old 20th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philn67 View Post
Anyone know when the grip will be available? Wex said probably a couple of weeks after the 5ii is available.
I believe it's the 16th March. Seems odd it's not available at launch. I don't know whether to go for the ECG-2 or HLD-8G. I'm leaning towards the ECG-2 so I still have access to the battery compartment as I don't think I'll need the extra shutter button. I'm hoping they have them both when I go to see it tomorrow to make my mind up. Both VERY pricey though, just like the EM5-II
The Following User Says Thank You to snerkler For This Useful Post:
Philn67 (20th February 2015)