Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 20th September 2014

Thanked 1,116 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,451 Times in 726 Posts
5 things you should know

about email unsubscribe links before you click.

We all get emails we don’t want and cleaning them up can be as easy as clicking 'unsubscribe' at the bottom of the email. However, some of those handy little links can cause more trouble than they solve.

You may end up giving the sender a lot of information about you, or even an opportunity to infect you with malware.

Here are 5 reasons why unsubscribing can be a bad idea, whether you do it by sending a reply email or opening an "unsubscribe" web link:

1. You have confirmed to the sender that your email address is both valid and in active use.

2. By responding to the email, you have positively confirmed that you have opened and read it

3. If your response goes back via email - perhaps the process requires you to reply with the words "unsubscribe," or the unsubscribe link in the message opens up an email window - then not only have you confirmed that your address is active, but your return email will leak information about your email software too.

4. If your response opens up a browser window then you’re giving away even more about yourself. By visiting the spammer’s website you’re giving them information about your geographic location, your computer operating system and your browser. The sender can also give you a cookie which means that if you visit any other websites they own (perhaps by clicking unsubscribe links in other emails) they’ll be able to identify you personally.

5. The most scary of all: if you visit a website owned by a spammer you’re giving them a chance to install malware on your computer, even if you don’t click anything.

These kind of attacks, known as drive-by downloads, can be tailored to use exploits the spammer knows you are vulnerable to, thanks to the information you’ve shared, unwittingly, about your operating system and browser.

So how do you avoid unwanted email without unsubscribing? If the message is unsolicited - then mark it as spam.

Marking something as spam not only deletes the message (or puts it into your trash) it also teaches your email software about what you consider spam so that it can better detect and block nefarious messages in the future and adapt as the spammers change their tricks.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
angelpaaul (20th September 2014), George Dorn (20th September 2014), OM USer (22nd September 2014), Ralph Harwood (10th February 2015), Ross the fiddler (20th September 2014), Simon Bee (20th September 2014), Zuiko (20th September 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (20th September 2014)
Old 20th September 2014
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts
Lightbulb Re: 5 things you should know

Anything I'm not sure about, that gets past the spam filters and my own "Rules" is inspected manually:

Right Mouse Click : Properties : Details Tab : Message Source

This opens up a window that shows all the "info" about the e-mail (a bit like exif data) Anything that looks dodgy is then deleted without opening the e-mail with the program.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (20th September 2014)
Old 20th September 2014

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts
Re: 5 things you should know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Anything I'm not sure about, that gets past the spam filters and my own "Rules" is inspected manually:

Right Mouse Click : Properties : Details Tab : Message Source

This opens up a window that shows all the "info" about the e-mail (a bit like exif data) Anything that looks dodgy is then deleted without opening the e-mail with the program.

That's good if you're not using Windows Mail in Win8. That is the worst email system I have ever used as I can't view properties in it. The old Windows Live Mail 2011 was fine though.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 20th September 2014

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

I use Thunderbird. The bayesian spam filter works well.

I didn't think anyone used MS mail clients anymore. MS Outlook is not nicknamed Lookout! on the web for nothing!

Jim
Old 10th February 2015

Liked 3,104 Times in 1,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
That's good if you're not using Windows Mail in Win8. That is the worst email system I have ever used as I can't view properties in it. The old Windows Live Mail 2011 was fine though.
Interesting to see a word in favour of Live Mail. My son set it up for me on his PC when mine died.

My experience of it is appalling. I get the borders flashing black and white around a new message until I enter an address and a title. It does much the same when I try to send a reply, as I move the mouse pointer to the Send button. And so on.

Harold