Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 20th September 2013

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts
Re: I might cancel my E-M1 order ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariadus View Post
And while everyone else is excited about ordering the E-M1, I'm excited about the 150mm I just bought for my Hasselblad for 117!
How much would that have cost new I wonder?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 20th September 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I'll tell you what - "spotting" an image after I've scanned it takes ages, despite all the dust precautions I've taken. Almost as bad as shooting with a Canon DSLR

And I've been advised by the maker of the film holder (Betterscanning) not to use Digital ICE because of the anti-Newton Ring glass on the holder.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 20th September 2013

Liked 156 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
What a bargain!
It certainly was. Just got lucky on Ebay. It's in mint condition too. I also got lucky on Ebay a while ago with a mint 250mm for 99. In fact, the whole of my Hasselblad kit, 500C/M, metered prism finder, waist level finder, 50mm, 80mm, 150mm and 250mm lenses, two A12 backs and Polaroid back cost less than 800, some bought on Ebay and some from dealers (Camera World and Ffordes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian p View Post
Well, I'm an E-M5 user. To us BIF means bird in freezer!
Haha, love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
How much would that have cost new I wonder?
I dread to think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
I'll tell you what - "spotting" an image after I've scanned it takes ages, despite all the dust precautions I've taken. Almost as bad as shooting with a Canon DSLR

And I've been advised by the maker of the film holder (Betterscanning) not to use Digital ICE because of the anti-Newton Ring glass on the holder.
I used to struggle with dust too, now I find it's not too bad. This is what I do:

* Leave negatives or transparencies in the plastic sleeves until you're ready to scan - don't look at them on a light table or anything until after you've scanned.

*Clean the scanner and the area around it thoroughly. Be careful not to get cleaning fluid on the two little white or black rectangles at the hinge area of the glass though - if you do you can end up with a vertical line running through your scans.

* Use one of those swiffer dusting cloth things (the ones that are designed to pick up dust) on scanner and surrounding area.

* Make sure you're not scanning in sunlight when there's lots of airborne dust. I try to scan mostly at night.

* Only when you're completely ready take film out of sleeve. Use a can of compressed air to give the film and holder a blast before putting in to scanner.

This doesn't completely eliminate dust but it helps to keep it down to manageable levels. It sounds a rigmarole but it doesn't take long once you get a system going.

Scanning is the worst part of using film for me.

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr
Old 20th September 2013

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

If you think cleaning up a scan from a clean trannie is a pain you should try cleaning up one that's been oil mounted on a drum scanner previously.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
The Following User Says Thank You to David M For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (21st September 2013)