Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 7th December 2007

Liked 741 Times in 260 Posts
Question LowePro Slingshot 200 AW

I have posted this question on FTU - as I am looking for a broad concensus of opinion:

Does anyone use the above - if not what do you use or suggest please?

I'm looking for a bag that is comfortable and will not cause the body to perspire too much when in warmer climes.
It must hold the E-510 along with at least three lenses - the largest being the 70-300 plus general accessories and have rain protection.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 7th December 2007

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Thumbs up Re: LowePro Slingshot 200 AW

Hi Barrie I have this bag, it will easily fit 1 SLR body with standard zoom fitted,with room for flash gun and 3 other lenses.Plus a couple of other pockets for batteries cables etc. Has a built in waterproof cover although if you have an E3 you wont need that.If you have more than one body the larger 300 would probably be more suited to your needs. I am sure you wont be disappointed if you purchased one. although I am sure there are also many other good bags out there in the market place.
Old 7th December 2007

Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
Re: LowePro Slingshot 200 AW

Hi

I tried one as I liked the idea but did not take to the concept and sent it back. I could not get on with sliding it back and forward, it was too to uncomfortable for me when brought to the front.

Camera bags are always a personal choice. Currently I am considering buying a Lowepro Pro Mag 2 AW which is a shoulder bag style. Have go with the Slingshot in a shop and see if you like it.
Old 7th December 2007
emirpprime

A strong second vote for getting to a shop and trying it. Both for size and roominess for your kit, and particularly for fit on the body and style of use. Some Jessops will let you order in and try in shop, but not be commited to but, providing they have it available to order normally. Other than that try your local stockist.
Personally I like Crumpler bags as they don't look too Photo, and they are very well made and waterproof (in practical terms, I've been in heavy rain with one and its never let me down, but im not sure how waterproof they are actually rated as being).
Good luck choosing.
Phil
Old 8th December 2007

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

'allo 'allo

I've never liked the slingshot design. Prefer a backpack or even better a shoulder bag. The backpack for very long walks - it's a LowePro Mini Trekker AW.
But the one i like the best is this one: http://www.leica-camera.us/photograp...traps/479.html
It's the small on which is in the top view and the bottom pic to the right.
It holds E-3 + 11-22 + 14-54 + 50-200 + Sigma30 + FL-36 plus spare batteries, cards , filters and everything else including a pari of glasses, som I can find what I need from the bag;-)))

niels
Old 8th December 2007
Scapula Memory

Barr1e

I have the 200AW and you will easily fit your gear into that. Mine has an E1 with grip plus 2 other lenses, FL36 flash, chargers, 2 spare BLMs and lots of other bits like batteries, cards, cleaning gear.

Pros:
Excellent way to swing bag around and just remove camera. (other items cannot fall out).
Roomy.
Very good build quality.
Screen protector.
Rain cover.
Strong straps and connectors.

Cons:
It takes a lot of gear so on long hikes it will feel unbalanced. A backpack might suit you better if you are covering distance.
Shape and style may not suit you, definately try before you buy.

HTH

regards

John.
Old 8th December 2007

Thanks all for the input. I thought I had made up my mind - however, it looks like a trip to a good stockists.

Many thanks again.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 8th December 2007

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Berr1e

The camera choise is the easy one - the bag's the hard one;-)))

I forgot taht my Leica shoulder bag also contains a ZD50, EC1.2 and EX25.

niels
Old 8th December 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts

Hi Barr1e - I may have answered your question on FTU already

I have several bags - crumpler shoulder types, a ThinkTankPhoto hybrid shoulder/modular waist bag, but the one I use the most, because it accommodates my laptop as well as the camera gear, is a Kata R-103. I've had mine for 9 months and it still looks like new. It has quite a few accessories, including a tripod carrier, a replacement camera strap system (good idea but I don't use it), reversible black (waterproof) or silver (heat reflective) cover. It's very comfortable to carry as well.

One thing I would advise - avoid a bag that uses velcro to locate the flaps or pockets. The noise can be very obtrusive just when you don't need it to be! Velcro inside the bag is OK.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 8th December 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Barr1e - I may have answered your question on FTU already

I have several bags - crumpler shoulder types, a ThinkTankPhoto hybrid shoulder/modular waist bag, but the one I use the most, because it accommodates my laptop as well as the camera gear, is a Kata R-103. I've had mine for 9 months and it still looks like new. It has quite a few accessories, including a tripod carrier, a replacement camera strap system (good idea but I don't use it), reversible black (waterproof) or silver (heat reflective) cover. It's very comfortable to carry as well.

One thing I would advise - avoid a bag that uses velcro to locate the flaps or pockets. The noise can be very obtrusive just when you don't need it to be! Velcro inside the bag is OK.

Ian
Thanks Ian -

Anne and I were amongst the deer today - they heard the AF whirr from some distance away - I can imagine the panic with 'the sound of velcro'.

Thanks for the ideas.

Kindest regards. Barr1e
Old 13th December 2007

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

Beware that the 'AW' covers don't stand up to much rain! I was treking in the Cairngorms this year with my E500 in a Lowe Pro Rezzo with an AW cover. It rained and the water penetrated the back of the bag which isn't protected by the cover. I was aware that the back wasn't protected and positioned it against my body, but this didn't protect it against the rain running down my jacket! When I got to a camp site the camera was soaked, but fortunately survived.

This episode was one of the reasons I recently bought an E3. I've also bought an Ortlieb bag - belt and braces!

Jim Ford
Old 13th December 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Beware that the 'AW' covers don't stand up to much rain! I was treking in the Cairngorms this year with my E500 in a Lowe Pro Rezzo with an AW cover. It rained and the water penetrated the back of the bag which isn't protected by the cover. I was aware that the back wasn't protected and positioned it against my body, but this didn't protect it against the rain running down my jacket! When I got to a camp site the camera was soaked, but fortunately survived.

This episode was one of the reasons I recently bought an E3. I've also bought an Ortlieb bag - belt and braces!

Jim Ford

Thanks for that. I have a couple of the Lowepro AW bags and have always been aware when it rains to lift out of them a plastic shopping bag to cover the section that the cover doesn't.

I'll take a look at the Ortlieb.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 28th January 2008

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

I have the slingshot 200 and like it as its easy to swing round when you want some kit out, it copes well with my needs, but I would like to see some of the similar KATA ones which are supposed to be very tough. I have never seen one though. Maybe a trip to Jessops in Manchester would solve that problem as the local ones are useless. But till I get there I am happy to keep the slingshot which I have had for 12 months..
Old 28th January 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a Slingshot 300 AW for a while. I sold it after about six months, during which time I'd used it probably no more than five times. Even with modest loads, if worn for any time I felt unbalanced with just the single shoulder strap. This was true even with the hip belt, which was well constructed and could be adjusted to take most of the weight. Back got uncomfortably hot and sweaty as well.

I didn't get on with swinging the bag round either. Good idea in theory, but I don't think it really works in practice. Getting the camera out is OK, but undoing the flap to get at other lenses/stuff feels too precarious to me, as a slight push from behind could send your optics ground-wards. The top compartment was an odd shape too.

Bags are so much a personal choice. I have a Tamrac Expedition 7 ATM, which is better, but the relatively limited range of adjustments is beginning to bug me. My favourite bag is my Crumpler Geekstar, but shoulder bags just get too punishing - and as mentioned above, all that velcro scares off every bird for miles and gets you filthy looks from all and sundry in the hide (even the ones who slammed the door on the way in!)