Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 13th April 2011
sancld

Which ORF RAW CONVERTER for OLMYPUS

Hello to every body.

Ive a little question.

Because Ive discovered that my Olympus E-30 stores the images in Raw (ORF) format with a resolution of 4096 x 3084 and that the supplied Sw of Olympus recognizes only 4032 x 3024, I would like to know if there is someone there that also knows this and that can help me to inform which Photo Software works and respect the original colours at best (Clear with the 4096 x 3084 resolution)

Thank a lot for the support and the consideration

Cheers

Claude
Old 13th April 2011
john.mpsm

Re: Which ORF RAW CONVERTER for OLMYPUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancld View Post
Hello to every body.

Ive a little question.

Because Ive discovered that my Olympus E-30 stores the images in Raw (ORF) format with a resolution of 4096 x 3084 and that the supplied Sw of Olympus recognizes only 4032 x 3024, I would like to know if there is someone there that also knows this and that can help me to inform which Photo Software works and respect the original colours at best (Clear with the 4096 x 3084 resolution)

Thank a lot for the support and the consideration

Cheers

Claude
According to the reviews i have seen on the E-30 its max resolution should be 4032x3024. so it seems strange that your getting 4096x3084.

As i don't own an e-30 pherhaps someone who does will confirm.
Old 13th April 2011
gwpics

I am pretty new here, and I am only going by the Olympus web site, but I think you are getting confused between used pixels and the number of pixels on the sensor. Most cameras do not use all the pixels on the sensor, and the 4032 x 3024 seems to be that quoted on the Olympus spec for the camera.

Gerry
Old 13th April 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

The latest Olympus software for RAW conversion, and is free of charge, is Viewer 2. It's quite similar to its predecessors, Studio 2 and Master 2. You can download it from here:

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/205_23092.htm

I do use Viewer 2 occasionally, but most of the time I use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 14th April 2011
sancld

Hello thanks a lot to everybody for the reply

for who doesn't know... or hasn't discovered

Try to shot in RAW (Orf Modus) and than open the stored ORF File on your PC with software like the XNView software.

and look on the file informations.

I receive resolution info like 4096 x 3084

www.xnview.com

(www.xnview.org)

(but sorry of this Sw I'm not really impressed about the colours)

a very similar think happens with the very good

Panorama studio Pro 2 software rel. or the last from (For Panorama blending of original Raw files)

www.tshsoft.com
www.tshsoft.de

look..
and also there you very probably will get back resolution info of

4096 x 3084

At the beginning I thought I was crazy or getting sick.

But the I looked closer (zooming on the PC) in the shooted pick details

And was correct.

There where "grabbed" cars or Pic of peoples the in the declared resolution or in the Original Olympus Sw were not "visible"

Let me know

Bye

Claude
Old 14th April 2011

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Well in raw convertors Capture One 6, Silkypix Pro, ACDSee Pro and Lightroom 3 all output them at 4032 x 3024.

As to xn veiw, well I would not put much faith in those figures, EM2 reads a figure of 4032 x 3024 for ORF files, yet the same file converted to Adobe DNG reads 4100 x 3084!

As far as I can see all raw converters output at the figure specified by Olympus, but good luck in your search for one that can find those mythical few extra pixels if they are important to you, there not for me.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 14th April 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a few E-30 orfs, from a pre-production model, and I can open them with Picture Window Pro, which reports the converted file sizes of 4096x3084 as opposed to 4032x3024 by Studio.

IIRC, PWP uses DCRaw, so you could try to get hold of a copy of that, or try the trial version of PWP.

Once or twice I have used PWP in it's raw conversion mode (on E-3 files) particularly for its ability to capture a few extra pixels, where for instance a deer has decided to place its hoof just on the edge of the frame . But most of the time it makes no significant difference to the image.

A converted PWP tiff file comes out at c.75.5MB, rather than c. 71.5MB for disk usage.

Mark

P.S. I should add that size isn't everything - you'll find the PWP interface a bit "unusual", and takes a bit of getting used to. All the converters mentioned have their own quirks and features, the most important to me being colour, contrast and detail recovery, but also noise handling and so on. These need to be balanced against the few extra pixels gained. FWIW, I use Capture One mostly, but if I want a bit extra detail, Studio. They are part of your toolkit, pick the right tool for the job. For Studio read Viewer, which is a free download.

http://marklcaton-images.co.uk/zenphoto
Old 14th April 2011

Liked 685 Times in 295 Posts

I'd recommend giving the latest version of ACR a try (i.e. download a trial version of Photoshop Elements). It's not my main converter (I use Aperture) but I found it much improved on earlier versions.
Old 14th April 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So just to hammer my points home, here are two versions of the same (E-30) image, one converted in Studio2 and the other in PWP.

Studio -

PWP -

The major differences seen are not to do with size, but the way the key parts of the sky have been rendered. In Studio you can see detail in the highlights to the right of the Spire, and (more) controlled flare from the Sun to the left.

The light spots IIRC are to do with this image being taken through a window (may have been double glazed?) and reflecting the lights from the room.(The view may give a clue to the event!).

It may be possible to manipulate the settings from PWP to get a similar result, but I'm not going to spend the time doing it. If you used PWP solely, and were an expert it might not take too long, but there's a learning curve before you get to that level.

These are a couple of reasons why one conversion program might be chosen over another, over and above any extra real estate gained, which in this case is quite incidental. To get a feel for how much image space is lost/gained, look at the space below the tail lights of the car at bottom right.

Images direct out of the conversion program, then same jpg conversion routine applied - no other editing. Any variables are in the respective settings of the 2 programs - which could be quite a difference.

http://marklcaton-images.co.uk/zenphoto