Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > Flash

Flash FL-related discussions can be found here.

Old 6th September 2010

Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Remote Flash Trigger

Hi,

Anyone recommend a remote flash trigger to couple my E400 with a T20, dont do a lot of flash but would like the opportunity to try "off the camera " without breaking the bank.
Old 6th September 2010
Radar

Re: Remote Flash Trigger

Look at Amazon and ebay for iShoot triggers. Bought mine for less than 20 and it's been very reliable.
Old 6th September 2010
bazza2764

concur with above
Old 6th September 2010

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

+1 here

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 6th September 2010
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Remote Flash Trigger

I have Six "SYK-3" slave triggers that I got off ebay for 3.68 each

Each one has a T-20 on it. I trigger them with the pop-up flash turned down to minimum.

Great fun

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 7th September 2010

Thanks Chaps,

Ordered an i shoot with one trigger , that should be fine for now, just playing with mono at the moment, want to throw some more flash in, still very much a novice.
Old 7th September 2010
Radar

The second best thing you can get (next after an off-camera flash) is an umbrella on eBay for a fiver. It makes a HUGE difference in the photos. Some examples from a one-flash setup with umbrella:

Old 7th September 2010

Thanks for the info again, I will look on ebay for a brolly. hopefully have some pics for you to check out and give me some feedback.
Old 8th September 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Hi Radar

Thats some impressive lighting for stock photos from one flash and an umbrella, I have myself just bought a umbrella in the hope to try out some more creative off camera flash lighting

Would you mind sharing with us how you achieved those white background shots, ie how was the umbrella and flash positioned and distance, best camera settings etc

Thanks in advance

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 8th September 2010
Radar

I bought a large piece of glossy white paper on WH Smith to use as a background. I bought a second fiece of glossy paper to use as a reflector on the opposite side of the flash. The large piece of paper is taped to the table in one end and bendt and taped to the top of a bottle on the high end.

Flash with silver reflective umbrella goes 45 degrees angle both in elevation and to the left. Taped the reflector to another bottle as close as possible to the items on the opposite side. Depending on what the item is you might want to change angles but testing and failing works fine.

Camera on a tripod with 2sec mirror lock up. I used my 50-200SWD on camera in Manual mode. ISO200, 1/160sec and adjusted ISO between 5.6 and 11 depending on subject and how much DOF i wanted. By using ISO200 I manage to give my flash faster recycling times and less heat develops in the flash as I use if quite often.

Flash is on the end of the umbrella to spread the light more. Flash in manual mode on 14-18mm to avoid spill of light in to the camera. I haven't made a GOBO yet.

How to find a usable GN? If the light travels 3 meters from flash, into the umbrella and to the object and looses 0.3EV on the way I have to calculate the GN for 4 meters. 4 meters and f5.6 on ISO200 gives me around GN12. I want to overexpose slightly so I use GN14 in this instance.

GN = distance x f-stop (on ISO100)

Divide the result by 2 on ISO200.
Old 8th September 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I bought a large piece of glossy white paper on WH Smith to use as a background. I bought a second fiece of glossy paper to use as a reflector on the opposite side of the flash. The large piece of paper is taped to the table in one end and bendt and taped to the top of a bottle on the high end.

Flash with silver reflective umbrella goes 45 degrees angle both in elevation and to the left. Taped the reflector to another bottle as close as possible to the items on the opposite side. Depending on what the item is you might want to change angles but testing and failing works fine.

Camera on a tripod with 2sec mirror lock up. I used my 50-200SWD on camera in Manual mode. ISO200, 1/160sec and adjusted ISO between 5.6 and 11 depending on subject and how much DOF i wanted. By using ISO200 I manage to give my flash faster recycling times and less heat develops in the flash as I use if quite often.

Flash is on the end of the umbrella to spread the light more. Flash in manual mode on 14-18mm to avoid spill of light in to the camera. I haven't made a GOBO yet.

How to find a usable GN? If the light travels 3 meters from flash, into the umbrella and to the object and looses 0.3EV on the way I have to calculate the GN for 4 meters. 4 meters and f5.6 on ISO200 gives me around GN12. I want to overexpose slightly so I use GN14 in this instance.

GN = distance x f-stop (on ISO100)

Divide the result by 2 on ISO200.
Wow Radar you certainly know your stuff when it comes to flash lighting then Thanks for the quick response that is very, very, very helpful.

Im waiting for my umbrella and mount to arrive from ebay and then I'll be having a go at some stock photos and referring to your notes above.

I'll be sure to make a post soon to show what I have achieved

Thanks again

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 8th September 2010
Radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
Wow Radar you certainly know your stuff when it comes to flash lighting then
I Thank Amazon Kindle and Android for that I've bought some good books there ("Hot shoe diary", "Speedlight and Speedlites" and "Light: Science and magic") in addition to using www.strobox.com and strobist.blogspot.com

I've ordered 2 new YN-460II flashes to use remote for portraits and other types of photos and to have a play with during the winter months. Also need more flashes and umbrellas for a wedding I'm doing in December.
Old 8th September 2010

Hi, serious info, do you recommend silver brolly ?
Old 8th September 2010
Radar

I prefer the nice reflection of the silver umbrella. But you can get gold umbrella for warm light (more for portraits) and probably white as well in reflective umbrellas. I associate white umbrellas with shoot through, which will be my next umbrella. Although you loose 0.7EV in a shoot-through umbrella it spreads the light nicely.
Old 8th September 2010

Way over my head at the moment but I`ve no doubt I will be asking more questions, it will be for portraits mainly so silver and gold look like a winner,
Many Thanks
E3, HLD-4, ED 14-45, ED 40 - 150, ED 70 - 300, 35 Macro, Zuiko 50 -1:8, EC14, FL36, i-shoot remote trigger, RM-CB1, T20, Lightroom 5, Elements 9, Slik 800G Deluxe, Jessops MP223 Monopod, Tamrac Expedition 3, Tamrac System 3. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-piccys/. Twitter @ian_double_one