Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 21st October 2010
Alan Clogwyn

OM Teleconverter

Can someone shed any light on why the Zuiko teleconverter is supposedly only compatible with some lenses?

I currently have a Tamron SP 2x one and find it reduced resolution a bit too much and gives gives a bit of a funny colour cast, so am looking at geeting a Zuiko one, any thoughts as to it's compatibility with non Zuiko lenses?

Does anyone else struggle with exposure whn using a Teleconverted by the way? I took a few shots earlier, and granted they were into the sun a bit, but they came out hugely overexposed, but the same scene without converter was fine! Any tips in that department?
Old 21st October 2010

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts
Re: OM Teleconverter

Which one are you talking about? They made 2 - a 1.4x and a 2x. I think that you can stick the 2x on any lens that does not have projecting rear elements. You definitely have to be careful with the 1.4x as its front element projects forward beyond the mount. It's not a problem with the big telephotos, which is what it is designed for, as the rear element is a long way down the barrel. But with shorter lenses and maybe zooms you might get a rather expensive collision.

See http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-...group/14xa.htm for more info. This is a recycled OM sales info doc, the website covers the whole OM range and is a fascinating read. Fascinating if you are as sad as me, anyway.

Ciao ... John
Old 21st October 2010
Alan Clogwyn

Yikes that does project a bit far doesn't it - luckily I'd be looking at the 2x one which seems a bit more universal, but it doesn't list the OMZ50mm, which is what I currently use my Tamron with, although I do need to get a few longer lenses.

Cheers for that link it's a useful resource!
Old 22nd October 2010

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts

I think you're out of luck Alan. I just tried (VERY carefully!) 3 50mm lenses - the f/1.2, a very early f/1.8 and one of the last f/1.8s. The f/1.2 will fit but will not focus to infinity. The f/1.8s will simply not fit on the mount as there is a metal projection that gets in the way. It may be there for precisely that reason.

(To try the f/1.2 I put a piece of tissue over the front element of the converter, focussed the lens to its closest, so the optical cell was as far forward as it goes, mounted it and then focussed very carefully. It stuck at about half way, because the back element of the lens collided with the tissue.)

Even if you could fit them on, the optical performance might be poor. These converters were not matched to specific lenses, but were designed for the long ones so may well not match well with shorter lenses. The optics is a lot more complex that just sticking a magnifying glass in the way! This could well be why they don't perform well with your Tamron converter.

The Oly own-label converters were quite expensive anyway so you may as well look for a longer lens. I've had a quick look at ffordes' used stock, they have several 135mms with double figure prices but they may be a bit long for you. If you can find one, the 85mm f/2 is a lovely lens - compact and sharp. I did a few simple trials when I first got the E-1 and its handling and performance were both excellent.

Ciao ... John
Old 22nd October 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a small aside on the subject, canon suffers the same problem on all but the
L series glass. they make a (coupled)2x converter, but the front element
hits the rear lens on all but the L glass.

larry