Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-420

Old 31st March 2010
ChiTowndude

Re: E-420 Taking pictures in dark? and focus lag (complete novice)

Addendum to my last post . . . I do have a tripod, so even slower shutter speeds would be possible.
Old 1st April 2010

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTowndude View Post
OK, with manual mode on and using F2.8 on my Zuiko 25mm and shutter speek 1/25, I'm getting an 'OK' image of the moon rising over the lake. I'd like to get more of the reflection on the water, though, and I'd like the moon to be less of a blazing white disc. Any suggestions, if it's even possible with this setup?
The scene has huge contrast, possibly more than any camera can accommodate. Maybe a graduated neutral density filter would help. With the dark bit at the top it would cut down on the bright moon, but allow the reflection on the water.

Jim
Old 1st April 2010
ChiTowndude

Guess I'll need to find a 43mm gradient filter! Let's say I get such a filter. What sort of F stop and shutter speed for me 25mm Zuiko should I use to get a good clear image of the reflecting water . . . at least as a start. I don't want to open it wide to 2.8 since I'm not sure I'll get the sort of infinity focus I want.
Old 1st April 2010

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTowndude View Post
Guess I'll need to find a 43mm gradient filter! Let's say I get such a filter. What sort of F stop and shutter speed for me 25mm Zuiko should I use to get a good clear image of the reflecting water . . . at least as a start. I don't want to open it wide to 2.8 since I'm not sure I'll get the sort of infinity focus I want.
Hmm, I can't help you there - I guess you just need to experiment.

Post any images you get here.

Jim
Old 1st April 2010

Liked 59 Times in 27 Posts

I'm no expert, but I have a few night shots in my gallery here. I found by putting the camera on shutter priority and trying different speeds, from 1 second to 60 seconds gave different effects. It takes trial and error to get it right, but then when you get the shot you like, its well worth it.

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Old 6th April 2010
ChiTowndude

Just as an addendum . . . I had actually purchased a couple of xD memory cards from Olympus for this camera. They are going right back (30 day return policy). I learned from various sites it's a dead format with no plans to increase beyond 2gb and no plans to improve speed. I got it so I could access the panorama function in the camera, but even this function only allows 10 shots in the pano, which is sheer crap. The xD format turns out is a complete scam created by Olympus to try and force people to by their media for their cameras, but they lost this battle. Am using CF in this camera now.
Old 14th July 2010
BigBCC

Hey I will say, probably set the camera to a lower apeture (higher number) so that it'll reduce the light coming into the camera and make the moon not be that huge ball of white light.

Another thing I'd say is try and do braket exposures as well. I have an e420, I don't do much night time shots with it, but I have done night shots with 35mm film SLR's so yeah