Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 24th December 2008
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Nestle Perina - Old Factory

Hi all,

Managed a visit to an old Nestle Perina factory in Barrhead.. Had the E1 with me but I couldn't get it to bracket more than 4 seconds so used the E510 for all the shots...

Quote:
The Nestle Purina factory in Barrhead, near Glasgow, made pet food - with a brief break to make baby food. The 200 employees were laid off in 2004, when Nestle decided that the factory was uneconomic.
Please look elsewhere if you hate me and my tonemapping, it'll make you sick

Looking forward to the comments as always.. Haters feel free to have a giggle I KNOW YOUS THINK I'M NOT A TOG
Old 24th December 2008
DannyH

Re: Nestle Perina - Old Factory

Nice set of images. I like tone mapping on certain images, and industrial is one of them. Anything with old dials and machlinery I like. Your technic really works with these. I just have to find some dilapitated industrial buildings in my area and try this out. A couple of questions. 1) Did you use the standard +1 to _1 for bracketing, or adjust down -1 after your first 3 images and bracket again to get 5 different images to use? 2)Do you hear about sites from friends, or find them through other means?
Old 24th December 2008
Henk

Very nice series Barrie, the PP treatment fits them well. I think #1 is the lest interesting image, maybe some straightening and/or a different crop will work.
Old 24th December 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

As ever Garrie, these images match your usual very high standard, and I love them. I also do think you're a photographer, and a good one at that!

I love the effect you create on your images using tonemapping - it really adds to the atmosphere and creates for a better presentation in my humble opinion.

My fav out of this set = #2, as the blue cross of tape over the rear hatch makes me wonder what it was supposed to be protecting... and I find it intriguing.

Old 24th December 2008
dwarfe

Nothing wrong with tone mapping and certainly nothing wrong with that set of images adds to the feeling of abandonment.
Old 24th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like your pictures, and I like your style. You seem to get out the gritty reality of the places you photograph which I think is really clever.
Old 24th December 2008

Liked 71 Times in 32 Posts

Excellent images as ever

I hope you keep on in this style as some of the images in your gallery are just stunning

Merry Christmas

JohnGG
Old 25th December 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Pics 2,3 and 4 look like a very old Bellis air compressor, very good shots and the PP adds something...

Regards

peterlittlephotography.com
Old 25th December 2008

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

It's all been said - but I'll say it again..........

great treatment to the subject, well shot and well applied
Old 25th December 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I love these images, and try tonemapping myself with some good results, but nothing like these. Wish you'd share your techniques!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 25th December 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts

Hi Garrie,

And Happy Christmas to you, Susan and your families.

Another fantastic set of pictures, IMO nos 2,3 &4 are simply outstanding. Never be afraid to post your images on this forum; I regard it as a real priviledge to see your work and if anyone doesn't like it that's their problem!

Cheers,

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 26th December 2008
Henk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk View Post
Very nice series Barrie,.....
Oops, just noticed my bad mistake. My sincere apologies Garrie.
Old 31st December 2008
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
Nice set of images. I like tone mapping on certain images, and industrial is one of them. Anything with old dials and machlinery I like. Your technic really works with these. I just have to find some dilapitated industrial buildings in my area and try this out. A couple of questions. 1) Did you use the standard +1 to _1 for bracketing, or adjust down -1 after your first 3 images and bracket again to get 5 different images to use? 2)Do you hear about sites from friends, or find them through other means?
Thanks Danny. I would like to use +2 to -2 (3 steps) but alas for some reason Oly decided to allow max AEB of 1 full stop each way and I am lazy so +1, 0, -1 is what I use. I find using 5 steps the shots aren't as gritty however from what I've seen from my E1 its something I'm wanting to try when I figuer it out and my remote release arrives.

I use Geograph a lot to find sites as well as an invite only forum however there is plenty other sites around like 28dayslater and derelict places, however unfortunatly you do come across some people that think they are elite and above others which Is why I prefer to research a lot of sites myself I almost always go out to a site with my best man Shepy (he is fearless), it really doesn't make sense going to some sites by yourself.

theMusicMan, dwarfe, Ellie, JohnGG, photo_owl, StephenL, Zuiko - Thanks for the kind comments. I reason I mention not being a tog is I've had some negative comments from other forums and via email, therefore I decided to get in first lol. I've not got my settings to hand (just about to pop out for NYE but I think I posted them in a previous thread, I de saturate a lot in Photomatix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovich
Pics 2,3 and 4 look like a very old Bellis air compressor, very good shots and the PP adds something...
Thanks for the insite, we did wonder what they were, it makes sense as these seemed to be in the machine room for 3 huge fridges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk
Oops, just noticed my bad mistake. My sincere apologies Garrie.
No hassle, atleast you didn't spell it as Gary Its a pet hate of mine lol

Just have enough time to wish everyone a very very happy New Year and hope 2009 brings the best for everyone.

All the best
Garrie
Old 2nd January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

More excellent shots/ treatments Garrie.

Don't be put off by the plonkers. For some reason, there seem to be very few on this forum. They must be put off by people being constructive or maybe it's an Oly thing...
Old 2nd January 2009

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

As a newbie, let me jump in and say I think it is because the people on this forum appreciate consummate skill, and Garries images show that in every detail.
This treatment accents the abandoned feeling of these machines much better than some other treatments. A real pleasure to view.