Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 16th March 2013

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts
Re: Mountain Dreams - Warning, Long Post

There's a couple of problems with that John. I may want to stay and settle in Scotland. And there's still a lot of Canada I've yet to explore. The TV ads for Newfoundland and Labrador currently running aren't helping my wander lust. They feature some spectacular scenery filmed in the golden hours.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 16th March 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,440 Times in 2,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
There's a couple of problems with that John. I may want to stay and settle in Scotland. And there's still a lot of Canada I've yet to explore. The TV ads for Newfoundland and Labrador currently running aren't helping my wander lust. They feature some spectacular scenery filmed in the golden hours.
That's the problem, the World is too big and life is too short!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 16th March 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
That's the problem, the World is too big and life is too short!
yeah ! AND the body started giving up on major fun, early in mature years
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 16th March 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
yeah ! AND the body started giving up on major fun, early in mature years
Yes, we're in the same boat for that one, Chevvy! If there is such a thing as reincarnation I sure won't waste my youth working in a bank next time around!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 16th March 2013

Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts

Threads like this make you thankful for three things:

1 your a member of this community

2 you own a camera

3 there's so much of this country to explore and so little time to do it in.

Once again thank you all for sharing
Old 16th March 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh1960 View Post
Threads like this make you thankful for three things:

1 your a member of this community

2 you own a camera

3 there's so much of this country to explore and so little time to do it in.

Once again thank you all for sharing
I agree with all three of those; this forum does have a terrific spirit amongst the members.

Old 16th March 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Wonderful thread, just what was needed as the rain falls mightily outside
Old 16th March 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageryone View Post
Wonderful thread, just what was needed as the rain falls mightily outside
Thanks David. Essex and Suffolk are obviously "enjoying" the same weather today! But oh to be out on the Monadhliath on a day like this!

Old 16th March 2013

Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts

Been out all day to Geordie land hence the delay in reply.

Quote:
Which munro did you save for last and, if you can pick one from so many, what is your favourite?
My last in September 79 was Cruachan. It p****d down all day and we viewed the mist and missed the view. We being about 50 from the Ochils MC.

No one favourite but 2 days shine out.
Loch an Eilean start, up to the Lairig Ghru onto Braeriach round over Einich Cairn, Angel's Peak, Cairn Toul and the Devil's Point. Down to Corrour bothy, turn down a helicopter lift back to the car in favour of walking back thro' the Lairig alone in silence. 11 hours 27 miles, I was only 11 stone then.

Staying on Rum, everybody went to a ceilidh in the village hall. I realised they were all getting drunk and there would be no early risers. Yes there was, me! Up and away by 6.45, I traversed the entire Rum Cuillin solo with the West Coast from Torridon to Mull and from Lewis to Ben Nevis set out under a burnished sky. There had been no rain for 6 weeks and none to come for another 4. Warme enough to to do it in T shirt and shorts. Reached the Summit of Sgurr nan Gillean at about 12.30 and sunbathed for an hour. on the way watched an eagle soar from one summit of Trallval as I arrived at the other. No Munros but 4 Corbetts. I've never been back. I'd never see conditions like that again.

Here's Rum.
First 2 from the Friday.

From Askival looking North across Allival to Skye, the Black Cuillin, Blaven and The Red hills. Seonnaidh's house is over on the extreme left (probably new built 1980).

Westwards across the vast bowl of Atlantic Corrie and Bloodstone Hill with Beinn Mhor on South Uist in the distance.

Saturday 0800 on Allival looking to Askival on the left wing right to Trollval then ove Ainshval to finish on sgurr nan Gillean in the middle. No one about.

South of East across the foreland of Arisaig and beyond Glenfinnan the night frosted high snows of Ben Nevis glint in the sun 40 miles away.

More East Knoydart wakes in an early morning mist with Ladhar Bheinn on the left, Sgorr na Ciche on the right and Loch Nevis in the middle.

Finally near the end of the traverse looking across the summit of Trollval to Eigg, Ardgour and Cruachan receding into the late morning haze.

Days of Fun

Lots of toys.
Old 17th March 2013

Liked 846 Times in 238 Posts

Wow - great images Duncan, incredible weather and an incredible trip to Rum.
It makes me want to get up the hills!

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 17th March 2013
Administrator

I don't know, Duncan, I ask you which was your favourite Munro and you end up describing a classic Corbett day! Which succinctly makes the point that there is far more to Scotland's hills than just the Munros. No wonder that day sticks in your mind, a route of the highest quality done in perfect weather and with the playground all to yourself, whilst everyone else nursed hangovers! Superb pictures of those incredible views which, perhaps with the assistance of a malt, no doubt bring the memories flooding back for you.

I hardly dare ask, have you climbed all the Corbetts too? In many ways that's an even more impressive achievement than the Munros and certainly more exclusive. In the end, though, lists are just lists. What really count are the enjoyment, experience, camaraderie, views and sense of belonging in the hills.

You must have been really enjoying your day to turn down a helicopter ride in the Cairngorms! You must also have been as fit as a butcher's dog to do that route in just 11 hours, taking the amount of ascent into account. Certainly Naismith would have been puffing and blowing to keep up!

Old 17th March 2013

Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts

Those were the days when you just put one foot in front of the other.
you'd never believe I've always had a fear of heights. In the thick of hillbashing I trained myself to cope with it.
I've not done the Corbetts. I started looking at them seriously about a year after finishing the Munros but that's when I came to my decision that there should always be something left to explore.
I've done about 500 Marilyns (another list). Some of my friends in the Ochils MC are multi compleaters of the Munros and Corbetts and I know someone who is above 1000 Marilyns.
These days I just have fun and I don't have to look at the inside of clouds any more.
I find an irony that I am No. 189 on the Munro list and they are compleated by over 200 every year. Interestingly the number compleating has remained about the same for 15 years now.

The helicopter incident was funny as at Corrour I was talking to 2 chaps who turned out to be from RAF Kinloss Rescue Team out training and offered me a lift back to my car in a Big Yellow Budgie which was due to take them home.
As I said I declined and never regretted doing so.

Lots of toys.
The Following User Says Thank You to wanderer For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (17th March 2013)
Old 18th March 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Those were the days when you just put one foot in front of the other.
you'd never believe I've always had a fear of heights. In the thick of hillbashing I trained myself to cope with it.
I've not done the Corbetts. I started looking at them seriously about a year after finishing the Munros but that's when I came to my decision that there should always be something left to explore.
I've done about 500 Marilyns (another list). Some of my friends in the Ochils MC are multi compleaters of the Munros and Corbetts and I know someone who is above 1000 Marilyns.
These days I just have fun and I don't have to look at the inside of clouds any more.
I find an irony that I am No. 189 on the Munro list and they are compleated by over 200 every year. Interestingly the number compleating has remained about the same for 15 years now.

The helicopter incident was funny as at Corrour I was talking to 2 chaps who turned out to be from RAF Kinloss Rescue Team out training and offered me a lift back to my car in a Big Yellow Budgie which was due to take them home.
As I said I declined and never regretted doing so.
I bet the MR guys were surprised you passed on a lift! I've turned down lifts in cars before, preferring to walk wrapped up in my thoughts of the day just done, but I'd have been in that chopper like a shot!

The great thing about lists of hills, be they Munros, Marilyns, Corbetts, Grahams, Donalds, Bridges, Wainwrights or whatever, is that they motivate you to visit many areas and climb many hills that you otherwise would have missed. One of my favourite days was Sgairneach Mhor, Beinn Udlamain, A'Mharconaich and Geal Charn from the Drumochter Pass. I nearly didn't start because rain was sweeping in sheets across the pass and I couldn't even see the hills I was after. Nevertheless, after giving myself a stern talking to, with a reminder that it would be four more ticks in the book and better days were best saved for better hills, I begrudgingly set off.

I had a wonderful day! I walked a flooded path on which scores, if not hundreds of frogs splashed contentedly in the puddles along with the raindrops. I had to keep staring down not to miss them. Later the rain eased and a measure of visibility returned. I saw mountain hares, cospicuous in their winter pelage when off the retreating snow line. I saw a fox, buzzards, ptarmigan and dotterel. I ended the day feeling at home in those hills and regretting the end of the walk.

In the end the ticks in the book were incidental and that's how it should be. I once knew someone who insisted he was not a peak bagger but we all knew the purpose of his furtive trips up north. Many years ago I penned this verse with him in mind:-

How secretly and furtively
He keeps his precious lists
A record of the hills he's done
His book is full of ticks

Indignantly he will deny
Playing at the numbers game
Yet climbing new hills all the time
He ticks them just the same

The Munros and the Corbetts count
Towards his mounting score
He tries hard not to climb a hill
Which he has done before

I see a day in future times
When he has done them all
A smug announcement to his friends
Will shock them and appal

Yet if he beats me to the end
To him I'll calmly say
Congratulations to you, my friend
I know the game you play!