Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 21st October 2010
jonsey

E5-canon 7d

As the debate rages on about the `warmed over` E3 that is the E5....i (very) nearly opted to change to canon in the form of the 7d, but looking on ebay, im quite suprised on how many are selling their oly gear and changing to Canikon...citing various reasons...i have decided to stay with olympus and buy an E5 subject to reviews...Has any one else been tempted to move away from oly considering their lack of commitment to FT?

Jeff.
Old 21st October 2010
Kiwi Paul

Re: E5-canon 7d

Not at all, with all the kit I have I've no reason to move. I'm very happy with my kit, the quality is fine, I love the lenses and for most of the time the E3 and the E520 perform flawlessly giving me fantastic photos. I'm familiar with my kit and if I get an E5 it will be a painless transition. I really don't see for the stuff I do how switching brands would benefit me, infact the opposite may be the case as it's easy to take the quality of the Zuiko glass for granted.

Paul
Old 22nd October 2010
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are currently two reasons that I am staying with olympus.

1. The Glass.....nuff said (especially the 35-100)
2. The Sigma SD1 is not for sale....and I am still concerned about Sigma's QA.

I will be getting the E5, due to selling two lenses recently. For what the future holds after the E5......only time will tell.
Old 22nd October 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts

I would buy an E-5 today if I had the money and there was one in stock. The same would apply even if I was offered a 5DII for the same price or cheaper and even if I was given a full refund on my Zuikos to buy Canon glass instead. Doesn't seem that I'll be going to Canon anytime soon, does it?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 22nd October 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to AlistairJ

I would certainly buy a 5DmkII if I needed one, perhaps if I was shooting landscapes professionally (this is somewhat unlikely). If this was the case then I may well consider switching entirely over to Canon.

Can't see it happening

Yes I would like an E-5 someday.

alistairj.smugmug.com
Old 22nd October 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Re: E5-canon 7d

It's not hard to be impressed with gear coming out of Canon, the 60D and 7D put a stranglehold around the E-3/E-5, the Nikon D7000 and D300s aren't too shabby and Pentax with their new K-5 and WR lenses seem to be going for it too.

For people getting into a system, it's difficult to see many going Oly, there's too much doubt around and great kit and commitment elsewhere. The PENs yes, but the dSLRs?

That said, having had my E-3 and SWDs for the past 3 years, I don't see other combos any better overall for price/heft/performance. It's mainly down to the glass, but the E-5 is enough for somebody like me to keep with Oly, but I do wonder what I'll be thinking in 2-3 years.

Slightly off topic, but related, having sold my mFT gear (bit of a luxury and will help fund an E-5) I'm in the market for a "serious compact". The Lumix LX-5, Canon S95 and Samsung EX1 rule the roost, I'll probably go for the Canon but I wish Oly were in there, it's a starting point for many enthusiasts, especially young ones, who will be brand loyal as they move up into systems.
Old 22nd October 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Having seen some of the recent images from the E5, I think it is fair to say that I won't be moving anywhere. I am really pleased with the look of the IQ from the E5 and I'd even go as far as to suggest the IQ 'looks like' what you get from ff. Of course I appreciate it isn't, but it is a huge improvement over the E3.

I'll be getting one as soon as I can afford it.

Old 22nd October 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts

With me, I think it all comes down to Olympus building cameras that naturally suit me. There are loads of cameras that do something or other better than my E-3 but as a complete package nothing comes close, and now I can aspire to the E-5. It's always been the same, something almost indefinable about Olympus, from the 35RC through to the OM1, OM2, OM4Ti, E-500, E-510 and now the E-3 and E-PL1, non have ever let me down or failed to please in any way. The only other camera that I've ever connected with like that was my Bronica ETRSi.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 23rd October 2010
jonsey

thanks for the insight people... you have somewhat settled my anxieties i had about olympus...i get on well with my `510 and e30... im sure il like the e5 as much... i just hope it lives up to the hype....

jeff
Old 23rd October 2010
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

As and when I get my hands on an E-5 to do a try out, if it's as good as the E-PL1, I shall certianly consider getting one.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 20th February 2011
ptomsu

Well, let me chime in here ....

I am currently shooting a D700 with all the 2.8 zooms from 14-200. Great stuff, great camera, the Nikkors are wonderful ....

I sold my E3 3 years ago, because I had constant AF issues and also AF accuracy issues, especially with the 1.4/25. And I moved (back) to Nikon, where I am till today and was a happy camper .....

till I tried the E5 with the 2/35-100 and the 12-60. I only can say WOW! The details and the detail sharpness you get from with camera in combination with top OLY glass is stunning! I made many comparisons with the D700 and almost always the E5 wins with detail, color and sharpness - at least up till ISO1600. If I try higher ISO the D700 is arguably better, but wait - if you really look into the images with 100% crop, then you see that the D700 smears or waxes all the finer details and thus also shows much less noise, while the E5 still has details, which of course are highly getting under water by all the noise.

I should mention that I always shoot RAW, using LR3.3 or C1Pro 6.1 as my RAW converters!

So in general I would call the E5 pretty much on par with the D700, especially in combination with the 2/14-35 and 2/35-100, where you can get same sensitivity as a D700 in combination with the 2.8 zooms. But still more detail up till ISO800 or even 1600. Today I tried a few D700 shots all below ISO 1000 and meanwhile I feel that all the results look like behind a soft cover compared to what you get from the E5.

The answer seems to be multifold:

1) much weaker AA filter
2) much improved image processing of the E5
3) better Zuiko lenses, even wide open at F2.0

End of the day I have some hard time to keep my D700 after all of that. I do not know what will come from Nikon next as replacement of the D700. Meanwhile I do no longer care much about higher resolution, but about weaker AA filter and thus improved details. But I have my doubts this will happen as Nikon and Canon and Sony and Pentax and .... they are still all in the MP race.

So for those of you who are in the E system, I only can say stay, buy the E5 and you will be a very happy camper.
Old 20th February 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Well I would have stayed with Olympus even if I still only had my E30 because:

a. I have at least around 9000 invested in lenses etc.
b. What do I want a system for, not a profession or to produce giant poster prints but as a hobby. As a matter of interest I won 1st prize in the Farming Heritage category at a local show with a shot taken on an 8mp Samsung compact.
c. I Like to think digital photography is a means to an end and not an end in itself and I like to imagine a most of the artistic factors are considered before pressing the button.

Anyhow on the matter of noise it is obvious that the E5 can still retain detail even despite high noise at high ISO. This shot was taken at ISO 6400, 1/60th, f5.6, 150mm, handheld at dusk and despite the low res. image still retains excellent detail considering the situation. No noise reduction in or out of camera and no pp. Uncropped:

Some may think this a waste of effort and that the image is rubbish but I like to explore the boundaries.

David
Old 20th February 2011

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
... I would call the E5 pretty much on par with the D700, ...
I cannot speak for the E5 but I was at a shoot the other day during which the other photographer needed to be in the picture so handed me his D700 with some whacking big zoom on it...so I have a 620 with an 11-22 and this massively heavy Nikon...
So yes I will stick with my Oly 620s and mid range glass...
OTOH a Sigma DP with the new sensor would be a very nice additional camera
Old 20th February 2011

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

I have recently acquired an e5 myself and been shooting for the last week or so with it and still everytime I open an image on my computer I have that WOW feeling, it really does capture amazing details.

Before I bought it I was going to switch to Canon, im so glad I didnt

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 20th February 2011
jonsey

it seems everyone is having a differing opinions on the e5, some are citing pin sharp images, while others are having problems getting that last bit of detail from their images..is this a QC issue?.. the same appears to happen to other models in the oly line up..il probably get an e5... but not yet, also it`l be interesting to see where the company goes with the new CEO in place..

jeff.