Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Legacy Lenses

Legacy Lenses Discuss the use of older lenses, using adapters, from the Olympus OM system, Leica M and R-series, and the millions of others too.

Old 18th April 2013

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts
Vivitar 400mm f5.6

Hi there!

On one of my frequent ventures onto ebay i spotted this lens, listed as spares or repair because it had loose screws rattling about inside. Since I am a one for taking things apart for fun I bought it, and having spent a happy hour completely stripping it and putting it back together correctly (focussing and the aperture had both been put back incorrectly when someone has had it apart for cleaning) I now have a working lens.

What I wanted to know was if anyone else on the forum has one of these lenses, and how to get the best from them.

Thanks in advance,

Ralph
Old 18th April 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts
Re: Vivitar 400mm f5.6

You will find this of great interest,, Ralph.

http://www.steveoakley.net/template_...ink.asp?id=138
Old 18th April 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Hi there!

On one of my frequent ventures onto ebay i spotted this lens, listed as spares or repair because it had loose screws rattling about inside. Since I am a one for taking things apart for fun I bought it, and having spent a happy hour completely stripping it and putting it back together correctly (focussing and the aperture had both been put back incorrectly when someone has had it apart for cleaning) I now have a working lens.

What I wanted to know was if anyone else on the forum has one of these lenses, and how to get the best from them.

Thanks in advance,

Ralph

Ralph ! I do so admire your love of a CHALLANGE wishing you GREAT times with this lens and lets see some photos soon
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 19th April 2013

Thanks Imageryone, that link looks good! It seemed to be more video biased which won't be my main use (none of my oly bodies do video, must pick up an E-PL1 and adapter soon), but it was reasonably complementary about the lens.

Chevvy, I'd love to take some pic's with it, unfortunately I'm nocturnal, and having had my motorbike land on my foot on monday when it was blown over I can't take the dogs out for their early morning rampage as an excuse to take my camera out. Hopefully I'll get to take it out over the weekend (when I'm not as nocturnal!)

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 19th April 2013

Quote:
Thanks Imageryone, that link looks good! It seemed to be more video biased which won't be my main use (none of my oly bodies do video, must pick up an E-PL1 and adapter soon), but it was reasonably complementary about the lens.

Chevvy, I'd love to take some pic's with it, unfortunately I'm nocturnal, and having had my motorbike land on my foot on monday when it was blown over I can't take the dogs out for their early morning rampage as an excuse to take my camera out. Hopefully I'll get to take it out over the weekend (when I'm not as nocturnal!)

Cheers,

Ralph.

CRIKES what make/model bike is it ? poor you

I don't know what to say, apart from can you borrow an off road x 4x4 chair from an elder and a pusher for a half day outing ?

the ONE photo album
Old 19th April 2013

Hi there Chevvy!

It's ok the bike is fine, just a bit of mud on the bar end, as my foot broke its fall very well. The bike is my 2000 Honda CBR929RR in black, IMHO the best bike honda made for riding on the road. The foot is also on the mend, nothing broken just lots of bruising as I was putting the side stand down when the bike was blown over - it got trapped between the ground and the engine casings so they were well protected!

The most annoying thing is that I'd stopped to take a picture as the sun had broken through the clouds in the Pen -y pass up by Snowden - by the time I'd got out from under the bike the sun had gone in and the cloud had dropped again!

I have however managed to limp to the front door to get some moon shots with the big lens, as well as a few for comparison with a 500mm makinon mirror lens that I rescued from ebay (another strip down and rebuild job - this time FULL of fungus!). I'll post the results later if I get chance.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 19th April 2013

Hi there everyone!

Here are a couple of moon pictures to compare the 400mm f5.6 Vivitar and my 500mm Makinon Mirror lenses. It's not quite a fair test as the mirror lens has a ND4 filter fitted (only one I've got at the moment) so was much slower. All shot hand held.

First the Vivitar 400mm F5.6

Then the Makinon 500mm F8

The Vivitar was far easier to focus with due to the extra light through the lens, it was also stopped down to about f8 ish (it has been "declicked for video work" - ie I lost the ball bearing when stripping it ). It also felt far easier to aim hand held (the longer length allowing more control). The weight wasn't a problem for the 5 minutes I was playing about, however I would guess it might be a problem after a while.

All in all I'm fairly happy with these lenses, both together cost less than 60, and in time I hope to learn to use them to their full capability.

My only other comment is that neither of these lenses lends themselves to focussing using liveview hand held!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 23rd April 2013

Hi everyone!

I finally saw some daylight today, so I popped out for a bit with the Vivitar again, this time taking some photos across the Mersey from Seacombe ferry.

First the Radio City tower (well over a mile away!)

And then a Liver bird

And finally the Super Sea Cat

Not a bad buy for 30 plus postage!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 23rd April 2013

Not bad at all

? Where does the Cat go to ?

the ONE photo album
Old 23rd April 2013

Hi there Chevvy!

I think that that one goes to the Isle of Man - hence the three legged symbol just under the bridge (easier to see full size I'll admit). I keep meaning to go to the TT one year, but have never quite got around to it.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 24th April 2013

Quote:
Hi there Chevvy!

I think that that one goes to the Isle of Man - hence the three legged symbol just under the bridge (easier to see full size I'll admit). I keep meaning to go to the TT one year, but have never quite got around to it.

Cheers,

Ralph.
oooh! Nice Transport System one day I shall go to the TT

the ONE photo album