Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 21st January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice Please?

Hi all - can you advise please?

I don't normally 'do' photography with people in (least not deliberately anyway!), as those who have visited my site will testify...

The thing is that I have been asked to do some with people in.

I'm aware that you need to have the signed, appropriate permissions from the model etc. (model release or something like that?), and so I am aware that, if I ask someone if I can take their photo for a specific reason (e.g. to go on a publicity leaflet) I need to obtain their permission to use their image.

However, what if I am taking a general shot (e.g of a restaurant or shop) in order to show the venue in a publicity leaflet, do I have to go and ask everybody using the shop etc. to sign a permission form?

As you can see, I have no idea where to start - I can do the photos, but it's the 'legal' bit I've got stuck on. So, can anybody give me some advice/pointers please?

Also, what do I need to say on these forms? Or, is there one readily available somewhere?

Thanks in advance...
Old 21st January 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,226 Times in 727 Posts
Re: Advice Please?

Thea,

I have three types of model release form (for different types of work)

Send me your e-mail address and I'll forward them to you.

As for "General Public" included in a shot. There is no right to privacy in a public place. If you are shooting the inside of the place then the owner must give you permission. He should also inform his customers that publicity photos are being taken and that they will all be given a drink on the house.

Anyone who wants not to be in the pictures can then move tables, leave or whatever (almost never happens unless the wife that they are with is someone elses )

If you are outside, and it's public property (not in a Shopping Mall/Precinct)
and again operating with the owners consent, then as long as you are not causing an obstruction (tripods are the thing most frowned on) then most of the time all is ok.

One of the things I do when working on the street is look out for a Police Officer and ask if there are any restrictions in force for the area in which you want to work. The answer so far has always been no.

The chance of anyone not wanting to be photographed is very low and if you tell them what, why, where and when it will be publicised, they will often comb thier hair and try to look cool (which will really screw up your pictures)

This sounds interesting, I do hope we get to see the results

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 22nd January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking between the lines Thea and guessing what you'll be doing.

I think, if you are taking pictures of people in a private place (where there's an admission fee) with consent from the owner then I don't think you'd actually need model release forms even if they plan to use the pictures for their own publicity.

We were photographed at a venue a few years ago, the picture was used in brochures, we weren't paid anything and didn't expect to. We were asked, and were 'positioned' by the photographer.

I googled "Model release uk" and got loads of hits.
http://www.thephotographypages.co.uk...model-release/

http://www.orangeacid.net/blog/2007/...laws-in-the-uk

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...1062118AAXRsEz

I know a lot of picture libraries won't accept images containing identifiable people without a release form, because the US laws are different, but that's for general publication rather than local.

News photographers don't ask for model releases for street scenes.

Wear a badge of some sort either round your neck or clipped onto your coat, to make it look 'official'
Old 22nd January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you guys very much - invaluable information as always !

Thanks for the forms Graham - I've got some homework to do before I go and take some photos now!

Watch this space - if I've got anything worthwhile I'll be posting some here. This is a whole new ball game for me, so it should be interesting

Thanks again