Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 28th March 2018

Liked 209 Times in 116 Posts
Plastic Bottles...........

Seems that a deposit system will at last be initiated for plastic bottles. Hopefully it will help. Yesterday I called in at our local supermarket which is a smallish branch of Waitrose. Apart from the few loose choices, there were 25 different pack and variety types all sheathed in some kind of plastic - of POTATOES. This is bizarre, what are they thinking of - how irresponsible? Same sort of story with bananas with the vast majority only available in plastic wrapping. Grapes - same. We are now collecting the plastic from yesterday's shop and will send it to Waitrose

Sorry to grizzle but this got me steamed up and now that China is declining to take our rubbish for recycling perhaps we can stop importing so much plastic crap from them.

David
Naughty Nigel (28th March 2018)
Old 28th March 2018
Administrator

Liked 1,309 Times in 773 Posts
Re: Plastic Bottles...........

Who is going to pay for the recycling machines?

We had a machine at Tesco, it gave clubcard points for items recycled. Then it took the items and didn't give points, then it broke, now it's gone...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 28th March 2018

Liked 1,620 Times in 1,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
Seems that a deposit system will at last be initiated for plastic bottles. Hopefully it will help. Yesterday I called in at our local supermarket which is a smallish branch of Waitrose. Apart from the few loose choices, there were 25 different pack and variety types all sheathed in some kind of plastic - of POTATOES. This is bizarre, what are they thinking of - how irresponsible? Same sort of story with bananas with the vast majority only available in plastic wrapping. Grapes - same. We are now collecting the plastic from yesterday's shop and will send it to Waitrose

David
And not before time either. Plastic has become so cheap and it suits retailers to overpackage, just as it suits them to buy everything from China.

The problem is that retailers will fight anything that they see as a potential for losing turnover, even though cutting out plastic waste might actually save them money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
Sorry to grizzle but this got me steamed up and now that China is declining to take our rubbish for recycling perhaps we can stop importing so much plastic crap from them.
Sadly this is a problem that we have willingly and collectively created by continuing to buy not just overpackaged goods, but anything and everything that China and the Far East pumps out, without which our sad and meaningless lives just would not be complete.

(Likewise eBay and Amazon.)

If we didn't buy this crap the retailers wouldn't sell it and the Chinese wouldn't have to manufacture and export it so us.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
sapper (30th March 2018)
Old 30th March 2018

Liked 793 Times in 297 Posts

we all have a responsibility to cut down on use of plastic. Not easy I know, but there are greengrocers where loose spuds and other vegs are free from plastic.
When I was a kid, I got 3d for taking back a glass bottle.
Old 30th March 2018

Thanked 1,304 Times in 1,247 Posts
Liked 1,040 Times in 719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
we all have a responsibility to cut down on use of plastic. Not easy I know, but there are greengrocers where loose spuds and other vegs are free from plastic. When I was a kid, I got 3d for taking back a glass bottle.
I remember those days. Long gone.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Old 30th March 2018

Quote:
we all have a responsibility to cut down on use of plastic. Not easy I know, but there are greengrocers where loose spuds and other vegs are free from plastic.
When I was a kid, I got 3d for taking back a glass bottle.
A friend and I just happened to 'come across' a glass Soda Siphon bottle. We dared each other to take it back to an Off Licence and received 7/6d!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Grumpy Hec (30th March 2018)
Old 30th March 2018

Liked 1,479 Times in 895 Posts

Nothing wrong with plastic as long as its clearly identified (with a moulded ID) for recycling.
We have a wheelie bin specifically for items to be recycled. I'm sure others do in other parts of the country. So why do I need to pay a deposit and take them to a bottle bank for a refund. What's wrong with the current arrangement?

If the refuge lorry can take say 500 wheelie bin loads of recyclable bottles, how much extra carbon will be emitted if the same number of households drive to a bottle bank? I don't think this has been thought through adequately.

on flickr
Old 30th March 2018
Administrator

Thanked 2,975 Times in 2,312 Posts
Liked 3,901 Times in 1,840 Posts

My wife recently purchased a reusable take away type cup with lid similar to the disposables commonly used by popular coffee chains. When she presents this at Costa they knock 25p off the price. Maybe this is the way forward for other types of packaging too?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 30th March 2018
Banned

Liked 959 Times in 608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
My wife recently purchased a reusable take away type cup with lid similar to the disposables commonly used by popular coffee chains. When she presents this at Costa they knock 25p off the price. Maybe this is the way forward for other types of packaging too?
That's a strange practice as it would suggest the disposable cups supplied by Costa have a commercial bulk buying in price of around 25 pence each. For a disposable cup, that is a very high commercial cost even taking the incentive to the customer into consideration. Maybe they know something we dont

John
Old 30th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
That's a strange practice as it would suggest the disposable cups supplied by Costa have a commercial bulk buying in price of around 25 pence each. For a disposable cup, that is a very high commercial cost even taking the incentive to the customer into consideration. Maybe they know something we dont

John
They not only have to buy them but dispose of them too, which may cost more than buying them in from China.

I can remember my parents talking about taking jugs out into the street to buy milk from the milkman, before glass bottles became the norm.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 30th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
We were in Morrisons the other day (far cheaper than Costa) and the person said it was 50p less if we wished the drink to be squirted straight into our gobs. 😜

on flickr
Johnheatingman (30th March 2018)
Old 30th March 2018

Liked 793 Times in 297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Nothing wrong with plastic as long as its clearly identified (with a moulded ID) for recycling.
We have a wheelie bin specifically for items to be recycled. I'm sure others do in other parts of the country. So why do I need to pay a deposit and take them to a bottle bank for a refund. What's wrong with the current arrangement?

If the refuge lorry can take say 500 wheelie bin loads of recyclable bottles, how much extra carbon will be emitted if the same number of households drive to a bottle bank? I don't think this has been thought through adequately.
Maybe because many people just throw away the plastic bottle.
Old 30th March 2018

Quote:
..... And also because there are so many different types of plastic in use, not all of which can be recycled.

In many cases plastic packaging material is totally unnecessary. Most fruit and vegetables have perfectly good packaging provided by nature. Do we really need to wrap them in three layers of totally unnecessary plastic just to carry them to the supermarket car park?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 30th March 2018

Quote:
I've heard that some refuse sites collect separate waste for recycling, but it all ends up in land fill.

on flickr
Old 30th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
..... And also because there are so many different types of plastic in use, not all of which can be recycled.

In many cases plastic packaging material is totally unnecessary. Most fruit and vegetables have perfectly good packaging provided by nature. Do we really need to wrap them in three layers of totally unnecessary plastic just to carry them to the supermarket car park?
Well its hygienic - at least you don't get 101 dirty hands playing with your grapes.

on flickr