Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 12th March 2018

Liked 1,413 Times in 958 Posts
Lack of Respect for the Young?

Sorry I have been quiet for the past few days but I had to take advantage of NHS hospitality last week (quite literally) to have a Laparoscopic Appendectomy. That may be a subject for another day, but suffice to say that everything is back where it should be and is working, apart from the Appendix, which as the young surgeon so eloquently put it, 'is in the bin'.

Anyhow, I digress. It strikes me that we often hear older people complaining about the lack of respect from the young, but I have encountered two appalling examples of behaviour by older people recently which rather put things into perspective.

Firstly, I was urgently called to our local GP's last Wednesday and told to bring an overnight bag. This followed a blood test the previous afternoon. When I arrived I was taken straight through to the GP ahead of waiting patients much to the annoyance of some. The GP then carried out a further thorough examination and informed me that she wanted to admit me to hospital as an emergency, making the necessary telephone calls and so forth there and then; although at this stage it still wasn't clear what the emergency was.

Clearly this process took more then ten minutes to complete which obviously irritated one of the auld women in the queue behind me. As I left the GP's room this woman came pacing down the corridor and said "that was more than ten minutes Nigel; have you got no consideration for anyone else? I have got things to do you know."

Even through the pain I was frankly gobsmacked that anyone could be so rude and arrogant, and would happily have given her a chunder for her thoughts had one been due.

Roll on Friday afternoon and our daughter was coming home from Uni for the weekend as it was her birthday and of course Mother's Day. I had bought her tickets in advance, and by buying two tickets for stages of the journey I had managed to get her First Class all the way from Stafford to Durham for £31.

Anyhow, she boarded the train at Stafford and found her booked seat by the window. No sooner had she sat down than an auld woman, who she said 'looked ancient', came from the end of the carriage and informed her that she was sitting in First Class and would have to move!

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall as Junior Management doesn't take prisoners as a rule, but suffice to say the auld busybody was shown the ticket and told that she wasn't going anywhere!

You would think that would be the end to it but evidently the auld woman then went to find the Guard and demanded that he move our daughter to "where she belonged".

The Guard came, checked the ticket and explained that it was perfectly valid and that there was no need for anyone to move anywhere. The auld woman returned whence she came, licking her wounds, but without a word of apology.

Who the hell do these people think they are?

I wouldn't mind but our daughter takes pride in her appearance and is always quite smartly dressed, and certainly not scruffy. True to form she has promised to buy some grey trakkies for the next journey just to wind up any busybody auld women.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (12th March 2018)
Old 12th March 2018

Liked 731 Times in 273 Posts
Re: Lack of Respect for the Young?

Both old and young can be bad mannered, as i am sure you are aware Nigel.
Good to hear that ' everything is back where it should be and is working".
Old 12th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Both old and young can be bad mannered, as i am sure you are aware Nigel.
Good to hear that ' everything is back where it should be and is working".
I am well aware of that Dave but these two events seem to represent particularly bad examples within the space of a few days.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 12th March 2018

Thanked 1,299 Times in 1,259 Posts
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,351 Posts

Your queue jumping act was an affront to the old lady and you did not owe her an explanation but it was your daughter's handling of the old dowager that takes the cake. Good on her!

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~ Calvin-
Old 12th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
Your queue jumping act was an affront to the old lady and you did not owe her an explanation but it was your daughter's handling of the old dowager that takes the cake. Good on her!
From personal experience I would think the 'looks' from junior management would have been enough to make the dowager feel rather uncomfortable.

Shy and retiring she isn't.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 12th March 2018

Liked 747 Times in 458 Posts

It doesn't just happen to youngsters and I'm not suggesting Nigel's daughter isn't well dressed.

In the course of my work, I used to visit an elderly lady who originally worked in the Lancashire cotton mills, and wasn't exactly the best dressed lady in town. She was however a big Football Pools Winner who had invested her fortune in diamonds.

She told me how a week earlier she had visited a well known very up-market ladies wear and accessories store in the town. She was asked to leave after a "regular customer" complained about her appearance. I asked her if she said anything to the store management and she replied "No I couldn't be bothered, I just left, but I wont be going back". She then told me she dressed for comfort and to please herself, preferring to wear older well worn clothes and not to please "toffee nosed xxxx store managers".

She could have probably purchased the entire store and business outright ! Not surprisingly, it eventually went into liquidation some time ago. What comes around goes around

Or is that.... goes around comes around ?

John
Naughty Nigel (12th March 2018)
Old 12th March 2018
Administrator

Thanked 2,938 Times in 2,278 Posts
Liked 3,782 Times in 1,773 Posts

Glad you are back, Nigel. Rudeness, bad manners and prejudice are unacceptable from people of any age. I wonder if the old woman on the train would have demanded that a black person be removed from first class?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Johnheatingman (12th March 2018)
Old 12th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Glad you are back, Nigel. Rudeness, bad manners and prejudice are unacceptable from people of any age. I wonder if the old woman on the train would have demanded that a black person be removed from first class?
Providing he was older, and wearing a 3 piece suit from Harrods, probably not !

Just out of interest, has anyone seen the prices of clothing from there ? My first house cost less than one of their jackets

John
Zuiko (13th March 2018)
Old 13th March 2018

Liked 923 Times in 517 Posts

Sorry to hear you’ve been through the mill, and really pleased to hear the old NH of S seems to have come through for you.

My daughter’s a fairly recently qualified GP, and has now learned no longer to be shocked by the complaints they get from people in the waiting room when they have to wait because the doctors and nurses are dealing with serious and urgent illness like yours.

To be fair, the great majority are intelligent enough to understand, but people do get stressed going to the surgery, and that can tip some people in to Basil Fawlty-like rants with very little provocation.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Naughty Nigel (13th March 2018)
Old 13th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Sorry to hear you’ve been through the mill, and really pleased to hear the old NH of S seems to have come through for you.

My daughter’s a fairly recently qualified GP, and has now learned no longer to be shocked by the complaints they get from people in the waiting room when they have to wait because the doctors and nurses are dealing with serious and urgent illness like yours.

To be fair, the great majority are intelligent enough to understand, but people do get stressed going to the surgery, and that can tip some people in to Basil Fawlty-like rants with very little provocation.
As you say, people do get stressed in Doctor's surgeries also in dentists and hospitals. Expressing annoyance at an unexpected delay is perfectly understandable especially if the reasons have sometimes not been made clear by reception staff. However, there is never any excuse for rudeness and bad manners towards staff or others.

Some people however seem to have lost, or never possessed, the ability to complain about a situation without, bad language, rudeness and often aggression. All of which is a sad reflection on today's society.

John
Old 13th March 2018

Thanked 1,116 Times in 994 Posts
Liked 1,127 Times in 740 Posts

I tend to turn up close to a doctors appointment time, computer log in system. Usually I get called soon after sitting down and on nearly every occasion someone mutters " he's only here I have been waiting $$$ minutes" the fact they are waiting for a different doctor does not seem to matter.

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Naughty Nigel (13th March 2018)
Old 13th March 2018

Liked 923 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
As you say, people do get stressed in Doctor's surgeries also in dentists and hospitals. Expressing annoyance at an unexpected delay is perfectly understandable especially if the reasons have sometimes not been made clear by reception staff. However, there is never any excuse for rudeness and bad manners towards staff or others.

Some people however seem to have lost, or never possessed, the ability to complain about a situation without, bad language, rudeness and often aggression. All of which is a sad reflection on today's society.

John
I agree strongly with all of that, except to add that people have been adversely reflecting on the society of their own todays since human beings learned to write!

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 13th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
She probably wouldn't have dared, whereas a young white-ish girl might be seen as fair game.

Actually, like me our daughter has quite a dark, Mediterranean complexion, and also appears younger than she really is; which might have made matters worse. Perhaps she should wear a headscarf next time.

However you do raise an important point John. I was horrified to hear a few weeks ago about a medical emergency on an internal flight within the USA. There was a doctor on board, but she was prevented from assisting the casualty because of her colour. Thankfully there was also a white doctor on board who told airline staff that his black colleague was better qualified to deal with the emergency, and only then was she allowed to proceed.

I get the impression that the Americans are a long way behind Europe in their attitudes towards non-whites, and I cannot see that improving for the next three years at least.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Zuiko (13th March 2018)
Old 13th March 2018
Administrator

Liked 1,201 Times in 712 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Lack of Respect for the Young?

Respect is like money: It has to be earned and given to others...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 13th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Respect is like money: It has to be earned and given to others...
.... But you shouldn't have to 'earn' common decency.

Surely if you board a train with a valid ticket, take your booked seat politely and without inconveniencing others then that should be all that is expected?

Should you really have to hunt down every old dowager in the carriage to 'earn their respect' just in case they are offended by your presence?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (13th March 2018), Zuiko (13th March 2018)