Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 23rd March 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sea Wall........

Another from my jaunt out at the weekend

Old 23rd March 2010

Liked 296 Times in 204 Posts
Re: Sea Wall........

Atmospheric.
Just a thought, but I would like to see an image from down on the concrete lumps as the seawall doesn't really anything IMO. More emphasis on the milky water would be great.
Did you happen to try that?

E-M1 Mk1 & Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 23rd March 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

I like it Neil... very tranquil.

Nice critique and feedback Dave... the photo is good but it's clear you're offering help to find what you consider might be a better pic. Kudos.

Old 24th March 2010

Liked 62 Times in 34 Posts

Interesting photo and comments.
As always its seeing what the photographer has seen and working out the key aspects of their composition.

To an extent I agree with the comment about the sea wall (I'm presuming that you mean the foreground seawall rather than the wall of the pier?), but compositionally I think it also quite affective, as it provides a strong balancing counter to the strong dark line of the pier.

My main comment on the seawall would perhaps be to add a little more light to the coping stones (especially on the rhs of the ridge line) to contrast with the dark vertical wall - this would perhaps then help lead you into the photo and it then (near the mid rhs) seems to have a useful curve toward the pier.
I also like the way that the pier has been carefull placed to match the line of the horizon, and this matched with a slightly lighter seawall would thus nicely sweep the eye into and then out of frame!

Regards
Chris
Old 24th March 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As always thanks for the feedback,

benvendetta, I appreciate the thought re the comp unfortunatly you cannot access the bolders so you are left with the view as is
I decided to include the near wall in the manner shown as it leads you into the picture (I know judges like this)

Catkins, you are quite right! it is too dark, not sure why as my master is a little lighter, not sure if the compression does this but anyway I take the point. Nice to see were on the same wavelength re the lead in lines, thanks for your input.

John, Thanks, it was tranquil, but it was also starting to get dark and bloomin cold
Old 24th March 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

benvendetta, just been looking at the other photos taken at the same time, I think this one leans toward the type of shot you may have preferred, this was taken from up on the sea wall, initially I dismissed it as I wasn't sure about the excessive amount of empty space in the middle of the frame, a lower viewpoint of course would have helped with this, was I right?

btw I've not done any pp here except some sharpening, just for demo purposes only.

Old 24th March 2010

Liked 296 Times in 204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndl0071 View Post
benvendetta, just been looking at the other photos taken at the same time, I think this one leans toward the type of shot you may have preferred, this was taken from up on the sea wall, initially I dismissed it as I wasn't sure about the excessive amount of empty space in the middle of the frame, a lower viewpoint of course would have helped with this, was I right?

btw I've not done any pp here except some sharpening, just for demo purposes only.

This does appeal to me much much more. It is more minimalistic with less distractions. I do agree about the space in the middle but if you couldn't get down lower then what you have is as good as you will get.

E-M1 Mk1 & Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 25th March 2010

Liked 1,153 Times in 454 Posts

Of these two I prefer the first. I like the moody mono look. If we were looking for perfection - then I would object to the tiny puddle far right.

Colour makes a good argument for the second image, but in this case (lfp again) I think I see the sea horizon just skimming the jetty thing. This seems to disturb me, and I would prefer to see it above or below the jetty for some reason. Don't know why...

Anyway, both worthy pictures, but 1st one for me..

:-)

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.