Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Site news

Site news Updates concerning the operation of this site.

Old 23rd April 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,177 Posts
Liked 1,445 Times in 667 Posts
Ads on the E-Group

It's a fact - there are now ad banners on this site. But please don't be alarmed!

Apart from the one ad unit on the front page of the site, if you are a registered member and logged-in, you won't see any other ads.

In any case, the ads are only from Olympus UK and lead only to Olympus promotions. There will be no third party ads, only Olympus UK related ads.

I hope that the fact that the main ad position is invisible to registered users who are logged in that our friends who visit the site frequently, but aren't registered, will now take the plunge and sign-up.

If there are any questions, or if you are seeing the ads when you think you shouldn't be, please let me know.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 23rd April 2009
Xpres

Re: Ads on the E-Group

Thanks Ian - much better like that.
I've no beef with ads at the top or even the side, it's just those in the middle of a thread that annoy. Anyway it's now a good motivator to get people to sign up and maybe even join in!
Old 24th April 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have no problem at all with them having ads on the front pages etc, although a far better ad for Olympus would be for them to make more active input into the threads on this site - ie responding to some of the comments and suggestions.

It's great that they support/ provide the means to run the forum, but they could make much more active and effective use of it. Unfortunately very few large companies have yet grasped how to make effective use of social networking and new media.
Old 24th April 2009
EH1

Wink Re: Ads on the E-Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
I have no problem at all with them having ads on the front pages etc, although a far better ad for Olympus would be for them to make more active input into the threads on this site - ie responding to some of the comments and suggestions.

It's great that they support/ provide the means to run the forum, but they could make much more active and effective use of it. Unfortunately very few large companies have yet grasped how to make effective use of social networking and new media.
Maybe Olympus could also offer members of this site a 10% discount on their products!(after all we are all dedicated Olympus customers)
Old 24th April 2009
E-P1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
I have no problem at all with them having ads on the front pages etc, although a far better ad for Olympus would be for them to make more active input into the threads on this site - ie responding to some of the comments and suggestions.It's great that they support/ provide the means to run the forum, but they could make much more active and effective use of it. Unfortunately very few large companies have yet grasped how to make effective use of social networking and new media.
I second this post totally - Oly's missing a trick - we are all proven customers interested in their product range and likely to upgrade with Oly in the future. In the old days shopkeepers used to build up a relationship with their core customer base - it's simple retail psychology.

Unless of course Oly(UK) don't have the freedom to creatively develop their own market in any way other than according to strict top down corporate Burger King regulations?

Sometimes Oly does feel like the elephant in the room rather than the key player it should be (IMHO)
Old 24th April 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,177 Posts
Liked 1,445 Times in 667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-1 fan View Post
I second this post totally - Oly's missing a trick - we are all proven customers interested in their product range and likely to upgrade with Oly in the future. In the old days shopkeepers used to build up a relationship with their core customer base - it's simple retail psychology.

Unless of course Oly(UK) don't have the freedom to creatively develop their own market in any way other than according to strict top down corporate Burger King regulations?

Sometimes Oly does feel like the elephant in the room rather than the key player it should be (IMHO)
The current campaign is pretty generic, but there are plans to do some more adventurous things with the banners, and I hope you will find them interesting and beyond the ordinary.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 24th April 2009

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH1 View Post
Maybe Olympus could also offer members of this site a 10% discount on their products!(after all we are all dedicated Olympus customers)
Don't hold your breath

Maybe they think as we are Oly folk......and so use the odd one out system.....we will continue with their products as it's unlikely we will start all over again with another system.

Keith
Old 25th April 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,118 Times in 917 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

Maybe they'll hold a photo competition with a camera as a prize? No, hang on .......

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site