Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 10th July 2018

Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts
Genuine or dodgy dealer?

Something a bit odd about this ebay dealer. I was wondering whether to replace my dead FT 12-60 with the same and found this seemingly very affordable ex-display model https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympus-Z...cAAOSwkcFbEyPK

Then I saw that the same dealer has sold at least 2 other ex display versions of this same lens, and has quite a number of other ex-display lenses.

Also seems odd that he/she would supply it with no packaging, manual or hood because it is "split from kit". Was this ever supplied as a kit lens? If so, I'd expect it would have had a manual and probably a hood, and shops shouldn't lose these.

On the other hand, I can't imagine it's worth anyone's while to make fake copies of an old lens like this.

Maybe Aperture1.2 could have bought them from a chain which had removed display copies from more than one shop?
Old 10th July 2018
Banned

Liked 959 Times in 608 Posts
Re: Genuine or dodgy dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
Something a bit odd about this ebay dealer. I was wondering whether to replace my dead FT 12-60 with the same and found this seemingly very affordable ex-display model https://www.ebay.9co.uk/itm/Olympus-...cAAOSwkcFbEyPK

Then I saw that the same dealer has sold at least 2 other ex display versions of this same lens, and has quite a number of other ex-display lenses.

Also seems odd that he/she would supply it with no packaging, manual or hood because it is "split from kit". Was this ever supplied as a kit lens? If so, I'd expect it would have had a manual and probably a hood, and shops shouldn't lose these.

On the other hand, I can't imagine it's worth anyone's while to make fake copies of an old lens like this.

Maybe Aperture1.2 could have bought them from a chain which had removed display copies from more than one shop?
His feedback rating and comments seem to suggest he is genuine. With the seemingly endless supply of Four Thirds lenses still supplied brand new from outlets all over Europe ( including many from Ireland ), I guess ex-display models are not impossible. One thing for certain, English is not his first language although his delivery times indicate he is based here, unlike some Asian sellers who claim to be in London

John
Old 11th July 2018

Thanked 1,177 Times in 935 Posts
Liked 1,538 Times in 908 Posts

I always check the rating & particularly the comments & he looks good to me.
If a seller is a little down (99.0%) then I would check the comments & sometimes it's just the two bob whingers bringing it down.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 13th July 2018

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Often ex display is an excuse not to sell at the RRP