Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Site news

Site news Updates concerning the operation of this site.

Old 20th February 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Brief explanation of the 'Calendar Function'

Hi All

I posted this initially in a thread where Ellie asked about how to use the calendar here on e-Group, then thought it also best if I included it as a sort of tutorial on calendar use. Hence this...

To use the calendar is simple really, you can click on the calendar link at the top of the forum;

...and you will be taken to a Calendar View of your choice (e-group default = monthly), which of course you can change to weekly or even annually by clicking on the 'Monthly View' link as shown (NB: this changes to show your choice of view);

You are then able to add new events, by clicking on the 'Add New Event' drop down link, or the 'Add New Event' link on each day (in weekly view, and can be seen on the below screenshot, but is not arrowed);

Simply choose the type of event you wish to add;

Single, All Day Event: no start or end time, simply an all day event
Ranged Event: start and end date, start and end time
Recurring Event: An event that repeats itself daily, weekely, or monthly et al.

I will choose 'Ranged Event' for this example, and this is what I then get presented with;

Once the details of your event are entered into the respective fields, you will be taken to the events page which shows the details of the event you just created. Also, on this page, to the right hand side you will see a 'Request Reminder for this Event' link. Click on this if you wish to be notified via a reminder from 15 mins to several days prior to the event. When you request a reminder, the text changes to 'Delete Reminder for this Event', and you also see a mini alarm clock above the text - which is to show you that you have set a reminder for the event.

Now, when in any of the calendar views, everyone can see your new event. This screenshot is from the monthly view of today;

... simply click on the new event I added, 'e-Group Calendar Lesson' link to be taken to the specific details of that event.

When entering events, it is obviously beneficial to include as much detail about the event as you can. This can also include url's, images and links in calendar items. The more information you show, the more interesting the event will be to those viewing it in the calendar.

Finally, all events added can now be seen at the bottom of the Forum Index page. Go to the Forum Index by clicking here;

... and at the bottom of the page you are taken to, you should now see a list of the events coming up over the next 60 days, like this...

There's more functionality to the calendar that this brief explanation I have provided of course, but I'll let you all explore and have a play with this and have fun discovering it for yourselves.

Please do shout if anyone needs further help or support.

J