Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Liked 313 Times in 176 Posts
Flickr for beginners

With the possibility that the future of this site may not include the gallery I have taken a look at Flickr

I find I have had an account since 2012, uploaded no photographs and have one follower

I am sure there are loads of tutorials out there and if the response from you all is RTFM that's fine, but I thought I would ask for best practise in the following areas as I know a number of you use it
  1. Photo sizes and how well it handles resizing
  2. Protection from download (I know there are many ways around that, but to turn off the easy options
  3. How to use it in forum postings (of course)
  4. Display options to make your pictures look good (my website has a very plain dark grey background can I do similar?)
  5. Integration with other platforms (I note the juicebox gallery I use on my website has options I have never looked at)
  6. etc.

regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 312 Times in 107 Posts
Re: Flickr for beginners

Photo sizes and how well it handles resizing

I upload full resolution and it resizes very well.

Protection from download (I know there are many ways around that, but to turn off the easy options

There is an option for that and I don't think anyone else sees the very high resolution versions. Check out all the options.

How to use it in forum postings (of course)

Very easy - see right hand arrow below and to the right of your photo and then choose BBCode, then size, and then copy and paste the code into a message here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bengeo For This Useful Post:
DerekW (2 Weeks Ago), shenstone (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 4,301 Times in 1,412 Posts
Talking Re: Flickr for beginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
[*]Photo sizes and how well it handles resizing
If you use Lightroom then you can upload directly from the gallery view. The Adobe included plug-in is OK, but Jeffrey Friedl's plug in is way better. It's donationware and you only need pay what you feel is right/reasonable:

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies

Flickr auto-resizes very well and will create a half dozen or so smaller sizes from one full size upload.

Quote:
[*]Protection from download (I know there are many ways around that, but to turn off the easy options
I'm sure this is quite possible and Friedl's plugin probably lets you control it from there - however, I confess that I don't protect my photos from download. There's so much stuff out there that I figure it unlikely anyone will want to steal my images - and in any case I'm not doing photography for money.

Quote:
[*]How to use it in forum postings (of course)
Go to the sharing button (a sort of curved arrrow) and then chose the "BBCode" option. Copy and paste it into the forum and job done. The only small point I'd make is that the default BBCode string includes two [URL] segments - one with the image and one with its title, but Flickr doesn't put a CRLF between them so you end up with the title dangling from the bottom right of the image. Just find the sequence [/url][url] in the BBCode string and put a line break between the ][ pair.

Quote:
[*]Display options to make your pictures look good (my website has a very plain dark grey background can I do similar?)
Hmm, not sure. You'll have to play around. I don't think there is a lot of variation you can do.

Quote:
[*]Integration with other platforms (I note the juicebox gallery I use on my website has options I have never looked at)
Dunno - you'll need to play

Quote:
[*]etc.
Annoyingly only the full desktop web-site supports BBCode sharing. Neither the mobile site nor the app support it. Very annoying.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
DerekW (2 Weeks Ago), Ross the fiddler (2 Weeks Ago), shenstone (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Liked 313 Times in 176 Posts

Thanks for the answers so far

I admit to being unsure how they monetize Flickr and therefore have a bit of a distrust of it. I know people can download from "our" gallery so my questions in that area are more for understanding rather than anything else.

Given 99% of people are going to look at pictures on the web why do the 2 of you who have answered so far upload full size? isn't that just taking space?

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 808 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
I admit to being unsure how they monetize Flickr and therefore have a bit of a distrust of it.
Apparently, Yahoo don't make any money from Flickr ( not yet anyway )

https://www.quora.com/How-does-Flickr-make-money

John
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 312 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Given 99% of people are going to look at pictures on the web why do the 2 of you who have answered so far upload full size? isn't that just taking space?

Space is not a problem. Free accounts get 1TB. It means you have another backup of the original.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bengeo For This Useful Post:
shenstone (2 Weeks Ago)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,069 Posts
Liked 1,363 Times in 718 Posts

Interesting thread. I always downsize my images to 1000kb and longest side 1200 in Lightroom and then upload them to flickr. I think they look ok and dont suffer in quality from the process. At this size I'm happy to leave them for public viewing. I just didn't want to put full size ones out there but the point about having a remote backup is a good one. Might think about that in future.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 819 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Interesting thread. I always downsize my images to 1000Mb and longest side 1200 in Lightroom and then upload them to flickr. I think they look ok and dont suffer in quality from the process. At this size I'm happy to leave them for public viewing. I just didn't want to put full size ones out there but the point about having a remote backup is a good one. Might think about that in future.

1000MB thats a pretty big image

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
Phill D (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 188 Times in 107 Posts

1 - I upload at 1920x1080 (or close to maintain proportions).

I don't see any reason to upload anything bigger though I'm aware some people have 4K monitor. I'm also coming from a very slow to a fairly slow broadband connection and uploading massive images is very slow.

2 - Don't upload your images to the internet It's one of the reasons I limit the maximum size I upload though if people are going to steal you can only limit their choice not stop them. You can prevent downloading in the settings but where there's a will they will find a way.

3 - pdk42 has covered comprehensively. I would suggest not embedding a large image here as it will show wider than the screen width which is annoying to some members and makes replies without carriage returns go on for ever on a single line. You can always click through to see larger sizes.

4 - I think that's not user configurable.
The Following User Says Thank You to AMc For This Useful Post:
shenstone (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,069 Posts
Liked 1,363 Times in 718 Posts

Ooops well spotted Dave I meant Kb not Mb!! brain and fingers weren't working in harmony when I posted that Edited the original now.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 313 Times in 183 Posts

Still have not found a way to use flickr to share using my android. PC is not a problem with the Right mouse button.

All my garbage so far.