Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 7th June 2018

Liked 772 Times in 289 Posts
Flying birds

I went to the Farne Isle recently and was very disappointed with my BIF pics, not half as good when I had the E3, so I went down to Southend on Sea front yesterday and tried out my skills, (or lack of them) using the EM1 Mk2, 40-150 Pro and 300mm Pro.
I was trying to find out wether C-AF or C-AF TR is best to catch the blighters.
Not a conclusive test, but of the 179 shops I took, the best were with the 40-150 using C-AF. Here are 3 shots, comments very welcome.
I don't think the 300mm is suitable for BIF, but could be wrong.

About a 50% crop, 1/800 @f8.

Bigger crop 1/800 f8

Bigger crop 1/800 f7.1
lonegroover (3 Weeks Ago)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
bassman (10th June 2018), MJ224 (7th June 2018), wornish (7th June 2018)
Old 7th June 2018

Liked 1,533 Times in 794 Posts
Re: Flying birds

BIF is so much to do with skill/practice. I normally use the Pany100-400. In the garden with small birds, the 40-150Pro + the TC1.4 works very well. These are taken 10 -15 yards away. Personally I prefer the CF+Tracking. Does not work so well if there is a background, but well enough against the sky. Seabirds move so fast, I find it difficult to keep them in the viewfinder when closer that 20 yards or so, thus a slightly longer lens helps I think.

But these gulls you have photo'd work well, but sounds tho' you had a poor hit rate. I think that is the way with BIF. Down to practise I think. And a bit of luck!

Don't see why the 300mm Pro should not be good. The two Pro lenses have the advantage of being fully compatible with the Oly body, unlike the Pany 100-400mm...…….

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
sapper (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 7th June 2018

Liked 772 Times in 289 Posts

Thanks for your comments, yes, a poor hit rate, and as you write, it's down to practice.With the 40-150mm I can get the birds in the shot and then zoom in on them, with the 300mm I find it hard to get them in the frame.

I was surprised to find that C-AF worked better than C-AF TR for me. I was using back button focussing to, which is new to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
BIF is so much to do with skill/practice. I normally use the Pany100-400. In the garden with small birds, the 40-150Pro + the TC1.4 works very well. These are taken 10 -15 yards away. Personally I prefer the CF+Tracking. Does not work so well if there is a background, but well enough against the sky. Seabirds move so fast, I find it difficult to keep them in the viewfinder when closer that 20 yards or so, thus a slightly longer lens helps I think.

But these gulls you have photo'd work well, but sounds tho' you had a poor hit rate. I think that is the way with BIF. Down to practise I think. And a bit of luck!

Don't see why the 300mm Pro should not be good. The two Pro lenses have the advantage of being fully compatible with the Oly body, unlike the Pany 100-400mm...…….
MJ224 (7th June 2018)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,030 Times in 287 Posts

I have to disagree on that the 300 F/4 is not suitable for BIF.

My Gallery on 500px
The Following User Says Thank You to Tordan58 For This Useful Post:
sapper (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 288 Times in 107 Posts

The 300mm should be just as good but it will take more experience than the shorter zoom, if you want to use BBF ok but i wouldn't try learning it when i was also learning BIF.
TR i find no good at all, it jumps all over the screen even on a cloudy sky.
The Following User Says Thank You to mik For This Useful Post:
sapper (4 Weeks Ago)