Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 24th November 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,950 Times in 2,290 Posts
Liked 3,829 Times in 1,799 Posts
Re: Test Of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
My father passed away last week, almost exactly three years after suffering a massive stroke that left him severely disabled. One reason why I am so interested in photography was because of him. He shot 35mm half frame trabsparencies and there are many boxes of his slides waiting to be explored. As the family lived for periods of over a year or so in three different Far Eastern countries (Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines) I'm keen to re-live the family slide shows we used to hold and to remember some of the fantastic places I visited and called home as a child.

John's great example, here, has inspired me further As there are literally hundreds, maybe over a thousand, slides, I will probably hire a Reflecta automatic slide scanner (about 100 for a week, which I think is good for a scanner than costs 1200 new). I believe it has hardware detection dust removal (aka ICE), which is a bonus. I have several Braun Paximat rotary carousels, which the Reflacta can take, and I will be able to scan some of my own slides as well.

Here's one of me from the late 70s, poor colour, sadly, but a good memory nonethless!

Ian
It was my father who introduced me to photography too. The scanner hire service sounds interesting and I'm sure it will be a sound investment for you, with that many slides to scan! With all those places you have lived at different times in your life those old photos must be a real treasure trove! Be cautious about ICE, in my experience it is only partly effective at dust removal and tends to lose detail, but of course it might be better implemented in the Reflecta.

It doesn't matter that some old slides suffer from poor colour, they are still important records of our past and I'm sure you'll find some happy memories of your Dad when you go through your collection.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th November 2017
Administrator

Quote:
John, I'm guessing your photo was taken with a roll film camera? Probably a Kodak of some description? Or maybe not I read you say it was mounted!

Ian
I don't know for sure, but I guess it was taken on a tripod mounted 35mm Zeiss Ikonta, the camera which Dad passed on to me when he invested in an Exacta SLR. It's a shame slides don't have EXIF!

This was my first camera and with everything being manual, right down to taking a light reading with a separate meter and cocking the shutter after winding on, it proved to be the ideal tool for really learning about photography - with Dad's invaluable guidance of course. Oh dear, I've gone all weepy, but in a nice way. Thank you Dad!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
iso (30th November 2017)
Old 24th November 2017

Liked 409 Times in 263 Posts

ICE works pretty well in my Nikon Coolscan IV, there is a very slight softening of the image but not enough to make me choose to remove dust spots in PP. Nikon don't support their scanners any more but I discovered via a web search that the apparent complete failure of the green channel was caused by nothing worse than dust on the internal mirror. There are also instructions covering how to get the scanner working on Windows 10. The "ROC" function in the Nikon Scan software also does a good job of colour restoration.

ICE does not work on conventional b+w film though, and the light source in the scanner resembles that of a condenser enlarger so tends to accentuate dust and scratches - a double whammy!
Zuiko (24th November 2017)
Old 24th November 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,237 Times in 1,124 Posts
Liked 1,181 Times in 574 Posts

Exakta! East German (though with some Dutch heritage I vaguely recall) and in the late 60s shared a lot of parts with Prakticas. Very good value and much better than the Russian Zenit, although not quite as robust.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 24th November 2017

Thanked 1,119 Times in 997 Posts
Liked 1,137 Times in 749 Posts

Quote:
Exakta! East German (though with some Dutch heritage I vaguely recall) and in the late 60s shared a lot of parts with Prakticas. Very good value and much better than the Russian Zenit, although not quite as robust.

Ian
Ian my sympathy on the passing of your father it is good to know you will have plenty of memories to look through in the days to come.

Ed

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wee man For This Useful Post:
Ian (27th November 2017)
Old 24th November 2017
Administrator

Quote:

Ian
I seem to remember that the Exakta was unreliable and Dad eventually switched to Praktica. My first SLR was a Zenit but it was horrible to use and had a light leak so it wasn't long before I got a Praktica MTL3.

Ian (27th November 2017)
Old 27th November 2017
Administrator

Here's an Ilford transparency from the same era. The colours are far inferior to Kodachrome, but whether this was the case at the time it was shot, or just that the Kodachrome has been better at withstanding the test of time, I don't know.

Old 27th November 2017

Ilford colour films were never up to much in my opinion even when fresh. Kodachrome is a different technology to most colour films and is well known for its archival qualities.
Old 27th November 2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Ilford colour films were never up to much in my opinion even when fresh. Kodachrome is a different technology to most colour films and is well known for its archival qualities.
Yes, I think Ilford were wise to eventually concentrate on their strengths - B&W.

Old 30th November 2017

Liked 235 Times in 203 Posts

Agfa Transparency was another whole thing. The Reds stood out as if they had been painted on with lipstick!
Zuiko (30th November 2017)
Old 30th November 2017

Liked 1,386 Times in 838 Posts

Adox Color Implosion (that's how they spell the word that we use to describe the visual spectrum) is a different order all together, red end of the spectrum is enhanced if film is shot at ISO 400 (100 box speed).
Now all I need to do is find a supplier. Adox released Color Implosion as an experimental emulsion and stocks are now dwindling, unfortunately.

on flickr
Old 1st December 2017

Agfa CT18 was my favourite slide film back in the day, and my slides have aged well.
Old 1st December 2017

Liked 235 Times in 203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Agfa CT18 was my favourite slide film back in the day, and my slides have aged well.

CT18 was indeed very good. Perhaps my processor supplier was not vg. But I remember it well. A series taken at Keukenhof Tulip fields in the early 60's. If you can imagine a field of red tulips, Stalks/Earth etc, all in ok colour rendering. The Blooms however
Old 1st December 2017

Liked 91 Times in 54 Posts

On a similar note my wife was clearing out her mother's house recently after she went into a nursing home. She found a box of slides, a mixture of Kodachrome and Ilford. The Ilford slides weren't great quality but the Kodachrome slides - wow! Turned out they were from her parents' wedding in 1959 (I think).

My wife thinks these were taken by one of her uncles. I hope the Velvia and Provia that I shoot these days holds up so well after 50-odd years. I do have some Velvia slides from the Eighties that looks just as good as Kodachrome from the same period.

On a slightly different note I recently bought some slide magazines for a Rollei P66 projector that I bought on Ebay. Some of the magazines came with slides in them. I messaged the seller to ask about them and it turned out that they were taken by his father, Ray Bell of Ilkley. The slides were in Gepe glass mounts and have quite a lot of mold on them, but I cleaned them up with Fotospeed Film Cleaner and they came up quite well. Some of the slides are absolutely fantastic.

The scan doesn't really do this shot justice, the projected slide is quite wonderful. The film was 120 Kodak, possibly Ektachrome? Apparently he used Rolleiflex and Hasselblad - they're definitely not Hasselblad shots, so must be Rolleiflex, and judging from some of the other slides I'm guessing that they must have been taken in the Fifties and Sixties.

Anyway, a fantastic find for me, but what a shame that his slides are being given away.

E-M5, 12-50mm, 14-150mm, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 35mm/2.8, 40mm/2, 50/1.4, 85/2, Tamron 70-210/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Ian (4th December 2017), iso (2nd December 2017)
Old 1st December 2017

Liked 282 Times in 179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariadus View Post
but what a shame that his slides are being given away.
Exactly my thoughts Roger.