Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 4th October 2008

Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
Old Olympus Lenses (OM lenses?) and the E-Series

Im thinking about getting a lens mount adaptor to use older olympus lenses, however I was wondering if there are any lenses which will retain the autofocus capability? If it is manual focus only in all cases, I guess its an opportunity to develop my photography skills as I havent really had much experience with manual focus :lol:
Old 4th October 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,381 Times in 810 Posts
Re: Old Olympus Lenses (OM lenses?) and the E-Series

Everything goes back to Manual

I often use the adaptor to attach a Macro Bellows and other such things

I think it's a great little bit of kit and would recommend it.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 4th October 2008

OK, that could be interesting!

Is there any issues with operation? By everything in manual, I assume that means Aperture as well? So the only modes you can effectively use are Aperture priority and Manual?
Old 4th October 2008

Well, Ive placed a bid on a 50mm Zuiko OM prime and a 28mm Zuiko OM prime, hoepfully I win them for an agreeable amount and let the experimentation begin!
Old 4th October 2008

Liked 58 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza_DJ View Post
OK, that could be interesting!

Is there any issues with operation? By everything in manual, I assume that means Aperture as well? So the only modes you can effectively use are Aperture priority and Manual?
Yes, you are limited to Aperture Priority or Manual.

The adaptor is made so that the lens is always stopped down to whatever aperture you have selected. Thus you have to keep opening the lens up to focus then stop it back down to meter (if in Manual) and shoot. In practice I have found it possible to focus at f/4.0 or even f/5.6 in bright conditions.

The adaptor is a really useful piece of kit, giving you access to heaps of legacy Zuiko and independant glass that can be picked up second-hand for very reasonable money. You may find these links of interest:

http://www.datasync.com/~farrar/zuiko.html

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...tmls/index.htm

http://members.aol.com/olympusom/len...fault.htm?f=fs

There is another web site where someone has gone to the trouble of posting images taken with a very large collection of OM Zuiko lenses, IIRC most of them from 16mm to 500mm I thought I had it bookmarked but can't find it at present Perhaps another forum member know of the page I'm referring to and can provide the link

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 4th October 2008
Xpres

You won't look back.
There is a wealth of info out there, have a look at the manual focus forum and MF lenses and you'll 'see'.
Remember you have to use stop down metering which is fairly easy on zuiko lenses using the preview button. You soon get used to it.
have fun
Old 5th October 2008

Any recommendations for some nice OM lenses to look out for?
Old 5th October 2008
mas

A little light reading to get you started ;-)

http://www.snaar.co.uk/lenses/index.html
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/len...fault.htm?f=fs
http://web.archive.org/web/200304150...hird/cult.html

There is another one that I thought was quite useful but for some reason I cant find it in my bookmarks.

I have an OM 50 1.8 which has given some quite nice results (and is cheap cheap cheap - I paid 10 inc postage). I've also got a couple of other OM and a kiron that I need to sort out and play with when I have a spare moment.
Old 5th October 2008

Excellent, thanks for all the links everyone, I'll have a read
Old 5th October 2008

Liked 58 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza_DJ View Post
Any recommendations for some nice OM lenses to look out for?
The 200mm f/4.0 makes an excellent telephoto lens, the equivalent of a 400mm f/4.0 on 35mm or full-frame DSLR and can be picked up for about 70 quid. The 135mm f/2.8 also gives good results and is also cheap. The slower versions of both of these lenses, 200mm f/5.0 and 135mm f/3.5, are also said to perform well. The standard lenses, 50mm f/1.8 and f/1.4 can make good portrait lenses and are very cheap.

If you have an interest in macro photography the OM system was renowned in that discipline and you can purchase extension tubes and bellows plus various macro lenses. My favourite is the 90mm f/2.0 but that lens is still quite pricey second-hand. The (non-macro) 100mm f/2.0 short telephoto is said to be tack-sharp but is as rare as rocking horse manure.

Entering the world of dream purchases, I would love to get either or both of the super-bright telephoto lenses Olympus brought out later on; the 250mm f/2.0 and 350mm f/2.8. Trouble is, they still cost in the thousands

As an added bonus, if you have an E-510, E-520 or E-3 you can use image stabilisation with all legacy lenses

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 6th October 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another link:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/om_four_thirds_adapter/

Lots of images from legacy lenses of all kinds - basically adaptors are available for almost anything except Canon (where there is a physical incompatibility).

I think the site that John is referring to above may be:

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_e1.html

It includes some useful recommendations, although bear in mind that there can be significant variations between samples of the same lens. In general, longer lenses perform better than wide lenses, "standard" apertures perform better wide open than their faster cousins, but see John Foster's exhaustive tests above for the full SP.

You might also want to look at Konica Hexanon lenses, that don't need an adaptor to be used on 4/3rds, just a bit of fairly simple tinkering. See:

http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eHexanonUebersicht.html
http://www.snaar.co.uk/lenses/index.html
http://gfsnt.no/hexanon/

One other point which I don't think has been mentioned: spot or centre-weighted metering tends to produce more reliable results than ESP/ matrix.
Old 11th November 2008
Dicky

i bought an adapter on E-bay for about 12inc posting and its great to have the ability to use OM lenses and to have them focus where i want them to not where some machine wants them to
Adaptors are allso available ti fit Zeiss and leica lenses to 4/3rds cameras aswell as most japanese makes
Old 10th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I purchaced my first Olympus Camera (OM 10) in 1979 and over the years I have collected many lenes, I have a Tamron II 135mm f2 a Tamron 200mm f3.5 and an unknown 500mm f6.3 mirror lens, with a screw fitting which fits the T mount, all of which I still use when I photograph butterflies they all still work perfectly as I have looked after them over the years. It is good to go back to shooting manual and gives new comers a good insite into the correct working of an SLR camera, I still use manual mode when photographing butterflies even with an automatic lens fitted. I now would not be without my digital E500's and my sigma bigma 50-500 but still enjoy shooting manual for the control but OM fit lenses work perfectly on DSLR bodies and there are many bargins to be had.

Enjoy you photography!

Barrie Norman
Old 11th February 2009

Liked 1,292 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGG View Post
Entering the world of dream purchases, I would love to get either or both of the super-bright telephoto lenses Olympus brought out later on; the 250mm f/2.0 and 350mm f/2.8. Trouble is, they still cost in the thousands

As an added bonus, if you have an E-510, E-520 or E-3 you can use image stabilisation with all legacy lenses

Cheers,

JohnGG
The 350mm f2.8 is a spectacular piece of glass on any of the current E-system bodies. If you can find the dedicated OM 1.4xA tele-convertor you have a 500mm f4 as well.

There's a few shots taken with the 350mm and at least one taken with the lens plus the 1.4xA in my gallery.

As far as using IS with the 350mm, I've tried it, but holding a 9+ lb lens/body combination can be a bit of a strain for any lenght of time.
Old 11th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGG View Post
3750 to be exact ! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...2454a4ffd30ccd

This seller has a few OM lenses inc an 80mm F4 Macro which could be fun.