Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 25th September 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Canikon reality check......can you help?

Right, there's been a lot of talk recently of people switching brands. I must admit it has crossed my mind, then flown out again as my E510 still takes better pictures than me!

Currently like I said I have an E510 with the twin kit lenses and the 12-60mm swd and 50-200mm swd. As far as I'm concerned I have the 2 high quality lenses which cover me for what ever I need (apart from the 1.4x teleconverter and 50mm macro - but then again I suppose you never have all the kit you want!)

I will be upgrading at some point and currently the only question would be E5 when the price comes down or PEN.

My question for you guys, to help keep things in perspective is this.......

What are the equivalent canikon products for the following, and what is the price?

E-5
E-30
12-60mm zuiko SWD
50-200mm zuiko SWD
70-300mm

Remember I want equivalent comparisons, so the quality of the glass should be the same, and you need to take into account the 2x crop factor.

I have a feeling this will help people appreciate what they currently have!

Regards

Neil

PS I can't start the ball rolling as I don't have a clue what all the letters mean on canikon lenses!!
Old 25th September 2010

Liked 151 Times in 106 Posts
Re: Canikon reality check......can you help?

An interesting question.

Are there even equivalents?

As you can see : personally I have no clue.
Old 25th September 2010

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Here's my opinion from the back pages of Outdoor Photographer (bodies guide) and Amateur Photographer (Park Cameras lenses):

In order of your original list:

E-5
E-30
12-60mm zuiko SWD
50-200mm zuiko SWD
70-300mm

Remembering that the crop factor on 4/3 is 2x and that of the cropped sensors on Canon and Nikon are 1.6x and 1.5x respectively:

Canon:
EOS 7D @ 1,218
EOS 50/60D @ 668/900
15-85mm F3.5/5.6 IS @ 639
70-200mm F2.8 IS USM @ 2,154 (there is one for 1,015 but it doesn't have IS. Neither have the focal length)
100-300mm F4.5-5.6 @ 299 (Also a 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 @ 1,319, which is a closer focal length equivalent. Some will agree the Oly 70-300 is worth that price, though!)

Nikon:
D300s @ 1138
D90 @ 649
16-85mm F3.5/5.6 VR @ 399
70-200mm F2.8 VR @ 1,629
80-400mm F4.5-5.6 VR @ 1,180

I think those combinations will all work but I think that may be different series of lenses for Canikon that are not compatible. I guess Sigma and Tamron options come into play more with those two systems, as well.

Basically, with the Canikon you get "better" bodies in terms of review results but the Zuiko smashes the Canikon on reach, aperture, price or all three with all these lenses. Many will argue that Zuiko quality is equal to, or better than those, too.

Whatever happens, you will be getting a new camera body at the 700 or 1,200 price points so you may as well get an E30 or hang on for an E5. Then you get the true benefits of your SWD lenses and don't have to buy and sell all the lenses.

It was an interesting question and I now truly appreciate the quality and flexibility of the Olympus system.

Nick
The Following User Says Thank You to Who's_E For This Useful Post:
roadkill_6mm (25th September 2010)
Old 25th September 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for that Nick.

To be honest i wasn't personally looking at changing, but your post really has confirmed what I thought. The Zuiko lenses are superb value for money compared to the competition.

Even with the little kit I have it's interesting to see that to 'jump ship' is going to cost a fortune!

Nice to have a reality check!!

Regards

Neil
Old 25th September 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill_6mm View Post
Thanks for that Nick.

To be honest i wasn't personally looking at changing, but your post really has confirmed what I thought. The Zuiko lenses are superb value for money compared to the competition.

Even with the little kit I have it's interesting to see that to 'jump ship' is going to cost a fortune!

Nice to have a reality check!!

Regards

Neil
Olympus kit lenses are by far the best of any kit lens supplied with any brand. Mid range are better, and top pro are on a par.

Old 25th September 2010

Liked 1,124 Times in 736 Posts

The dpreview site, which are known to be less than enthusiastic supporters of the Olympus 4/3rds system, said this in their review of the 12-60mm Zuiko:

"Olympus appear mainly to have taken advantage of the Four Thirds sensor to deliver lenses which, for any given size, weight and cost, simply perform to a higher and more consistent standard than those optimized for larger formats, with the 12-60mm being a prime example."

Jim
Old 25th September 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,983 Times in 2,320 Posts
Liked 3,991 Times in 1,882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Olympus kit lenses are by far the best of any kit lens supplied with any brand. Mid range are better, and top pro are on a par.
I'm not convinced that Canon 'L' is on a par with top pro, and certainly it's not in terms of max aperture.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 25th September 2010
Kiwi Paul

That's my opinion too, I think the Zuiko Top Pro lenses are probably the finest lenses available for IQ, build quality, weather proofing and speed (f2.0).They are also possibly the only lenses that can be used wide open and still maintain their performance.

Paul
Old 25th September 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

I actually went through this same thought process myself a few weeks back, as I was going to switch to canon, but after I added everything up, read loads of reviews, went to shops to test out canon products, I soon realised that the kit I already have is miles better and well does the job for me perfectly

and with that said I hope to buy a PEN tomorrow to add to my collection

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 25th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to AlistairJ

It does make the HG Olympus lenses look like great value, compared.

I read somewhere that the Canon L series actually covers a large range of lenses, from the top-performing super-expensive down to the decidedly mediocre.

alistairj.smugmug.com
Old 25th September 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts

Totally happy to stand corrected folks

Old 25th September 2010
minh0204

I believe the HG line is Olympus' greatest achievement. All the lenses in that line have respectable IQ for a very reasonable price. The cheaper SG also represents some good value for money, but they're being replaced with m43 glasses and also not as good as HG.

Olympus' failure lies in the marketing of the top of the top SHGs. Those lenses are just the sharpest money can buy, but show no clear advantage over competitors' offering. When people buy stuffs and look for an upgrade they see a dead-end - great glass but no matching body. Honestly speaking I can get a D700 with 24-70 + 70-200 for the money I spent on those two equivalent Olympus lenses and an E-3.

If Olympus focused on upgrading their HG line things might be different now. Where's my 100mm macro/ 40mm portrait /200-400mm zoom ?
Old 25th September 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
and with that said I hope to buy a PEN tomorrow to add to my collection
I think you'll find the PEN a great addition to your collection, though the dedicated lens range is still a bit light. They are nice cameras to use and to hold.

The real problem with Olympus is they make great lenses, very serviceable cameras, provide the innovation that drives much of the camera market (live view, tiltable screens, SSWF etc). In other words everything they do is good, except........

They don't seem to have the foggiest idea how to maintain and sell a range

Bit like a 19'th innovator continually coming up with better mousetraps, but expecting customers to hack their way through forests to buy them. It can, at times, make them a frustrating system to own.

(mind you as customers we tend to take for granted the quality, it isn't news that something Olympus makes just happens to work very well)

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk