Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 12th August 2017

Liked 579 Times in 344 Posts
Re: Parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
Would a few dings make much difference to the value of a 10 year old car - except exotic super cars ?
I would rather spend money on an appreciating asset rather than a chattel that will be worthless within a few years.
Are you that person who parks across two bays to protect your manhood?
I can't decide if that was intended to be humour or not

John
PeterBirder (13th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017

Liked 1,263 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Would a few dings make much difference to the value of a 10 year old car - except exotic super cars ?
I would rather spend money on an appreciating asset rather than a chattel that will be worthless within a few years.
Are you that person who parks across two bays to protect your manhood?
It's not so much the resale value as pride in my own vehicle; just as I wouldn't enjoy using a camera that was battered and bent owing to sheer carelessness. I take pride in looking after my cars and simply don't enjoy driving scruffy vehicles.

However, I do not, as you suggest, straddle parking spaces to 'protect my manhood', and neither do I park in Disabled bays. That tactic seems to belong principally to BMW and Audi drivers, along with builders, plumbers and other van drivers.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (13th August 2017), PeterBirder (13th August 2017), snaarman (13th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017

Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Smile Re: Parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
It's not so much the resale value as pride in my own vehicle; just as I wouldn't enjoy using a camera that was battered and bent owing to sheer carelessness. I take pride in looking after my cars and simply don't enjoy driving scruffy vehicles.

However, I do not, as you suggest, straddle parking spaces to 'protect my manhood', and neither do I park in Disabled bays. That tactic seems to belong principally to BMW and Audi drivers, along with builders, plumbers and other van drivers.
My car is not battered or bent. Just a couple of dings. The dings are the result of other people being careless or stupid - not me.
And I must say I don't enjoy driving except as a means of getting to and from where I want or need to go. I guess I am in a minority. My car is just an expense and petrol, servicing tyres etc. are all distress purchases.
Are you the guy in the highly polished Rover 75 cruising at a steady 60mph along the M6 first overtaking lane ? Probably not but just an image that popped into my mind
Old 13th August 2017

Liked 802 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
My car is not battered or bent. Just a couple of dings. The dings are the result of other people being careless or stupid - not me.
And I must say I don't enjoy driving except as a means of getting to and from where I want or need to go. I guess I am in a minority. My car is just an expense and petrol, servicing tyres etc. are all distress purchases.
Are you the guy in the highly polished Rover 75 cruising at a steady 60mph along the M6 first overtaking lane ? Probably not but just an image that popped into my mind
*Waves a rather nice string back glove while holding my pipe....*

When have you seen my car?

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 13th August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
I can't decide if that was intended to be humour or not

John
Me neither.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 13th August 2017

Quote:
Precisely. Which is why I resent having my investment/indulgence damaged by imbeciles who cannot park or just don't care. Is that unreasonable?

Quote:
And I must say I don't enjoy driving except as a means of getting to and from where I want or need to go. I guess I am in a minority.
I don't think you are in a minority at all. I hate long distance driving nowadays unless I'm heading up to Scotland where there is less traffic. I did have a very enjoyable drive to Cairnryan and back recently (to the Belfast ferry), but if I am driving South I usually get about as far as Scotch Corner before I start wishing I had taken the train.

Much of the problem stems from vehicles fitted with speed limiters, whose drivers seem to think their need is greater than anyone else's; and the use of cruise control by those who think that if they do 70.0001 MPH their wheels will fall off if they don't get a lifetime driving ban first.

What these people don't seem to realise is that not only are you legally allowed 10% + 1 MPH over the speed limit before getting your collar felt, but that car speedometers are invariably optimistic; especially those fitted to Toyotas it seems.

Indeed, Toyota drivers seem to be by far the worst offenders in my experience; especially those with CSMA stickers on the rear screen.

Traveling is about getting from A to B in the shortest reasonable time; not sabotaging the British economy by creating a mobile traffic jam with your Japanese car.

Which might give you a clue to your next question.

Quote:
No; I have never owned a Rover of any description,* but I am proud to drive car built in Castle Bromwich. As a former IOM TT rider I am not known for slavish adherence to speed limits outside of built up areas, and like to make good progress where I can. I don't drive a 300 BHP Jag to do 56 MPH in the middle lane of the motorway.

* I do have a hankering for an 'auntie' Rover 100 and equally a Mk 2 Jag, but that would be just for personal pleasure.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (13th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017

Quote:

As a retired heating engineer who still has a Peugeot Partner Van ( now relegated to a dog, fishing and photo gear transporter for holidays.... Oh... and not forgetting the Wife ) I resent that remark I do however agree to the comment regarding BMW and Audi drivers. I've not made up my mind about Jaguar drivers yet

John
Old 13th August 2017

Quote:
As a retired heating engineer who still has a Peugeot Partner Van ( now relegated to a dog, fishing and photo gear transporter for holidays.... Oh... and not forgetting the Wife ) I resent that remark I do however agree to the comment regarding BMW and Audi drivers. I've not made up my mind about Jaguar drivers yet

John
Glad we understand each other John.

I have done a fair bit of plumbing myself over the years (not heating) so I might have been guilty on occasions.

As for Jaguar drivers, you could do a lot worse than watching Clarkson's appraisal of Jag drivers on Top Gear. My wife swears that every word is true.

955,000 views cannot be wrong.

https://youtu.be/7eWIrBOc3zE

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 13th August 2017

Quote:
Glad we understand each other John.

I have done a fair bit of plumbing myself over the years (not heating) so I might have been guilty on occasions.

As for Jaguar drivers, you could do a lot worse than watching Clarkson's appraisal of Jag drivers on Top Gear. My wife swears that every word is true.

955,000 views cannot be wrong.

https://youtu.be/7eWIrBOc3zE
I have to admit, If money, upkeep cost and dog transporting were not a consideration, my first choice would be a Jag. Maybe a vintage model. A guy I used to work with had an old Jag and the smell of the leather could never be imitated. Inspector Morse has a lot to answer for.

John
Old 13th August 2017

Quote:
I have to admit, If money, upkeep cost and dog transporting were not a consideration, my first choice would be a Jag. Maybe a vintage model. A guy I used to work with had an old Jag and the smell of the leather could never be imitated. Inspector Morse has a lot to answer for.

John
There are some nice 'modern' S-Types on the market for silly money right now. You get a heck of a lot of car for your money with superb handling and remarkably good economy. If you can find a low mileage 2.7 diesel you will get better than 40 MPG on a run with excellent comfort.

I have never bought a new car yet, but have always found something in new condition that is a year or 18 months old with low mileage, and similar purchase price to a top spec Astra or similar. Running costs are no greater than a standard Jap or Eurobox, reparability and longevity is better, and the grin factor is in a different league.

If you want a car that you turn around and look at when you park it.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 13th August 2017

Quote:
There are some nice 'modern' S-Types on the market for silly money right now. You get a heck of a lot of car for your money with superb handling and remarkably good economy. If you can find a low mileage 2.7 diesel you will get better than 40 MPG on a run with excellent comfort.

I have never bought a new car yet, but have always found something in new condition that is a year or 18 months old with low mileage, and similar purchase price to a top spec Astra or similar. Running costs are no greater than a standard Jap or Eurobox, reparability and longevity is better, and the grin factor is in a different league.

If you want a car that you turn around and look at when you park it.

Damn ! Did you really have to post that pic ?

John
Old 13th August 2017

Would you like some more?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 13th August 2017

Thats it !! You're on ignore

John
Old 13th August 2017

Before you go, here's a golden oldie for you.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing