Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 12th August 2017

Thanked 1,227 Times in 1,189 Posts
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,160 Posts
Re: I'll be the Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
Dare to be different.
State that so many entries (in whatever categories) are absolutely worthy of 'first prize', that the only (honest/sensible/fair) thing to do is to the 'finalists' into a hat. Whom so ever I draw from said hat WINS
Alternatively in the spirit of true democracy wherein all men are deemed equal in the sight of god, I could declare that every single entrant is a winner and the prize shall be divided equally among all. As there are precisely 200 entries and the prize is only $600, then each recipient would take home $3.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketoll View Post
It all depends how cunningly you word it! As for the Post -Modernists their work is imaginative, exciting, full of deep hidden meaning (or whatever). Those who do just miss out will of course be agrieved or disappointed anyway but it is a case of damage limitation!

Everybody knows that judges are idiots, got no idea, or useless unless one is picked the winner in which case they are of course experts with a finely tuned artistic taste! Charm them, make everybody feel a winner!

PS I have no idea what a Post-Modernist is!
A Post-Modernist is a "well connected" cerebral entity whose painting technique relies not on an ability to draw but rather upon a set of geometrical instruments with which he/she constructs images comprehensible unto him/herself alone. Like connoisseurs of wine they talk-in-tongues with frequent lofty references to the upper palette and render fawning deference to their influential patrons!

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~ Calvin-
Old 12th August 2017

Liked 113 Times in 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
A Post-Modernist is a "well connected" cerebral entity whose painting technique relies not on an ability to draw but rather upon a set of geometrical instruments with which he/she constructs images comprehensible unto him/herself alone. Like connoisseurs of wine they talk-in-tongues with frequent lofty references to the upper palette and render fawning deference to their influential patrons!
LOL. So that could be summed up by saying "pretentious t****" and/or clever people who know how to massage their patrons ego and the money out of the patrons wallet Emperors Clothes style.
Either way a bit of guff like I said about imaginative, exciting, deep hidden meanings and so on without saying what the deep hidden meanings are hints that you understand should suffice. Then move rapidly on!

I must say I did not realize how serious this all is but $600! Not quite local camera club! Good luck oh brave soul!
The Following User Liked This Post:
pandora (12th August 2017)
Old 12th August 2017

Liked 1,467 Times in 831 Posts

Pretentious? Moi?

Harold
Old 12th August 2017

Thanked 1,032 Times in 959 Posts
Liked 1,045 Times in 591 Posts

You must let us know how you get on Mark. That is if you can of course
Old 12th August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketoll View Post
LOL. So that could be summed up by saying "pretentious t****" and/or clever people who know how to massage their patrons ego and the money out of the patrons wallet Emperors Clothes style.
Either way a bit of guff like I said about imaginative, exciting, deep hidden meanings and so on without saying what the deep hidden meanings are hints that you understand should suffice. Then move rapidly on!

I must say I did not realize how serious this all is but $600! Not quite local camera club! Good luck oh brave soul!
"The Emperor's Clothes", you got it Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
You must let us know how you get on Mark. That is if you can of course
I will certainly let you see some pictures of the event replete with commentary, Phill.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~ Calvin-
Old 12th August 2017

Liked 1,263 Times in 863 Posts

I hope you don't have problems with the getaway car this time.

Just make sure you park it for a quick getaway.

Oh, and check your brakes before you need to use them.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 12th August 2017

BOOOOM!
You forgot to remind me to also take a mirror stick

Old 13th August 2017

Maybe a sword stick would be useful too!
Old 13th August 2017

Liked 205 Times in 178 Posts

Quote:
Alternatively in the spirit of true democracy wherein all men are deemed equal in the sight of god, I could declare that every single entrant is a winner and the prize shall be divided equally among all. As there are precisely 200 entries and the prize is only $600, then each recipient would take home $3.00

Think my idea is better
Old 13th August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
Think my idea is better
As the 'day of reckoning' draws nigh I grow evermore anxious as to how to handle the preamble without harvesting the sour grapes of wrath of the losers.
Are there any conciliatory tones a judge could adopt to mitigate their disappointment / resentment? If so I'm open to suggestions but frankly, in the mirror of introspection I see myself as the victim of my own folly in accepting the role in the first place. Not only have I put myself in the hot seat, but also precluded my own work from the judging. I guess that every entrant hangs in suspense as the winners are announced in the hope that he/she will be among the anointed. All I can hope for is that in the eyes of potential buyers I will be mistaken for an "authority" whose over-priced work may well be a worthwhile investment!

Old 13th August 2017

Liked 1,263 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
As the 'day of reckoning' draws nigh I grow evermore anxious as to how to handle the preamble without harvesting the sour grapes of wrath of the losers.
Are there any conciliatory tones a judge could adopt to mitigate their disappointment / resentment? If so I'm open to suggestions but frankly, in the mirror of introspection I see myself as the victim of my own folly in accepting the role in the first place. Not only have I put myself in the hot seat, but also precluded my own work from the judging. I guess that every entrant hangs in suspense as the winners are announced in the hope that he/she will be among the anointed. All I can hope for is that in the eyes of potential buyers I will be mistaken for an "authority" whose over-priced work may well be a worthwhile investment!
I think if I found myself in this unenviable position I would approach it just as I would if I had $600 to spend in an art and photographic gallery.

I don't think there is any point in pretending to be anyone but yourself, or to see the king's new suit of clothes when he clearly doesn't have a stitch on!

As for conciliatory remarks, kind honesty has to be the best approach, pointing out strengths and weaknesses in exhibits as honestly but kindly and constructively as possible.

The danger with trying to view these things with 'modern eyes' is that you will find it impossible to be consistent. That is much easier to pull off with kind honesty.

With luck it should be an enjoyable and inspiring experience for everyone; yourself included, which is perhaps the best and most conciliatory approach to take.

All the best.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
pandora (13th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017

I am reminded of the story of the judge who said of a mountain landscape shot that it would have been much better if it had been taken from a couple of feet further back upon which a voice from the back said "If I had been a couple of feet further back I would have been 300 feet lower down!"
Anyway hopefully it will not be the terrible ordeal you are dreading and as I said earlier best of luck and hope all goes well.
pandora (14th August 2017)
Old 14th August 2017

Nigel and Mike, thanks to you both for some constructive advice. I have drafted a short preamble which I will PM to you both for comment should you wish.

Old 14th August 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 2,198 Posts
Liked 3,486 Times in 1,637 Posts

Rather you than me, Mark, although I'm sure you will do an excellent job!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 14th August 2017

Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts

You will only please the winner(s).
So, have confidence in yourself.
Walk through all the entries reasonably fast.
The good ones will standout which should be about 5% of the total.
Then go over these again and reduce it to about 5.
Then figure out what YOU like and why.
Mention those on the short list. (As in they are not far off the mark)
For the vast majority if you can say something positive about an entry to the artist (if they ask you) that usually helps.
The arts association have picked you as a judge as they obviously value you judgement.
Have fun with it.
I'm speaking as someone who has entered quite a few competitions at my camera club and usually done 'not bad' and only rarely done well.
I remember reading an account of a competition written by the editor of the BJP (British Journal of Photography) where there were 6 or so judges ( he was one) having to decide the winner of a very large competition. They came up with an overall winner which no judge had picked as their best choice.
Over here there is an obvious one on TV which is the Countryfile Wildlife Calendar which gets well in excess of 20000 entries. Three judges figure out the final 12 in a day! And then ask viewers for their overall pick.

Lots of toys.
The Following User Says Thank You to wanderer For This Useful Post: