Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 19th January 2017

Liked 1,413 Times in 799 Posts
Delivery Notifications

I am expecting a small number of packages, some from Ebay, some from elsewhere.

Unless Royal Mail is specified, sellers ten to be vague about the carrier.

The morning post having arrived, with no packages, I went out into the back garden to take some photographs which could not be left until tomorrow. My wife was due to go out within the hour.

The session was shorter than expected and I got back in the house as my wife was about to drive away.

I checked my email and a message, which was not there half an hour earlier, informed me that my package was out with the local Hermes van for delivery today. (As usual, there was no indication, in the message, of what the package contents were or of the sender).

Why do they not send out an alert on the day before intended delivery, giving us a better chance of being at home? Surely, this would help both parties!

Harold
Old 19th January 2017

Liked 1,186 Times in 810 Posts
Re: Delivery Notifications

I suspect some eBay users are deliberately vague about dispatch dates as it helps them to deflect any complaints about late delivery.

If eBay sellers buy their postage from eBay then any tracking information is automatically provided to the buyer, but otherwise it is up to individual sellers to pass this information on manually.

In many cases I suspect inexperienced sellers have no clue of how they will ship items until it actually happens; hence some of the ridiculous shipping charges advertised!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 19th January 2017

This particular email helpfully provided a link for me to track my item. So I clicked on it, finding all the stages of its journey up to today, when it would be delivered sometime today. (It arrived just over two hours after the time of the original notification)

Harold.
Old 19th January 2017

Liked 197 Times in 137 Posts

Delivery companies are improving I think. I received an order this morning via DPD who had e-mailed me earlier giving me a one-hour delivery slot, and it duly arrived within those times. I had been e-mailed by the supplier yesterday telling me when the order was despatched and the tracking number. I find ParcelForce, UKMail and UPS generally reliable too. For some reason though when Amazon use Royal Mail they often provide a tracking number which the Royal Mail web site doesn't recognise! Royal Mail are however pretty reliable in this area and the package usually arrives on the day I expect it to.
Old 19th January 2017

Liked 339 Times in 131 Posts

The one that's a pain is Amazon Logistics, where Amazon deliver 'themselves' (although who knows who it really is ... some random bloke with a van, usually). My repeated experience is that they send an email citing a specific day for delivery, and then deliver on some other day entirely! What's the point of telling you it'll be delivered Friday, when it turns up on Wednesday instead? Just means I now have to stay in for a three-day window, instead of the one day.

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook
Old 19th January 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The one that's a pain is Amazon Logistics, where Amazon deliver 'themselves' (although who knows who it really is ... some random bloke with a van, usually). My repeated experience is that they send an email citing a specific day for delivery, and then deliver on some other day entirely! What's the point of telling you it'll be delivered Friday, when it turns up on Wednesday instead? Just means I now have to stay in for a three-day window, instead of the one day.
From what we hear in the News Amazon delivery drivers have to use makeshift Kharzies in the back of their vans, so I don't think I will be using their Grocery delivery service any time soon.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 18th March 2017

Last week I had the latest whizzy Hub* from Virgin Media on its way to me on the day agreed for delivery. I kept looking for e-mail notification but none came.

Contrary to my normal practice, I checked my phone's text messages. There it was "Your parcel....is on its way and is out for delivery today. Track your parcel now at www.yodel.co.uk/tracking/JD0002251061708750".

So I went to the website, clicked on tracking and typed in the number. I was delighted to be informed that my parcel was out with the driver, for "delivery today". Isn't is good to be given such accuracy of the timing?

* More about the hub to be posted elsewhere.

Harold
Old 20th March 2017

Liked 92 Times in 57 Posts

Some couriers DPD for example use their own vans and track their deliveries.
DPD usually send me a link which allows me to track their van all day on delivery X out of Y. I then get a text giving me a 1 hour window based on the actual experience of the driver on the day.

Other couriers - Yodel for example - use subcontracted or self employed drivers who are using their own vehicle and can choose their own route. I know the woman who does all our local My Hermes deliveries so she knows when to deliver to me and where to leave things if I'm out.

I suspect most eBay small sellers use things like ParcelMonkey and will book whichever courier is cheapest that day hence the lack of notification.
I've never successfully got eBay to accept my tracking notification when selling, I suspect because I wasn't buying the courier service through their pages.

It's a lottery really!
Old 12th August 2017

I have found a new variation.

I had about five Ebay/Argos C&C items in progress. Three were ready to collect by this morning and I was hoping the get the collection codes for the
other today.

In the meantime, I have a microscope illuminator on its way from the USA and the tracking told me it had arrived in this country, the delivery date still being vague.

This morning, I had an email from RM parcels, the tracking supplied saying that it was out for delivery today.

"Dear Customer,

Royal Mail has received your item FP500200270GB from J W POTTER AND CO(BUXTON)LTD at Reading DO Delivery Office and we'll attempt to deliver it today, 12th August unless we have alternative arrangements with you.

Alternative arrangements would include the Keepsafe service where we store your mail whilst you're away or the Redirection service to move mail to your new address.

For tracking & queries click here

Regards,
Royal Mail.

Automated message, please do not reply. "

I was available all morning and was very surprised to get an update.

"Dear Customer,

Royal Mail has delivered your item FP500200270GB from J W POTTER AND CO(BUXTON)LTD today, 12th August.

The delivery will have been made to your address or to one of your neighbours. If your item was delivered to a neighbour, we'll have left a card at your address to tell you which one it's with.

For tracking & queries click here

Regards,
Royal Mail.

We value your feedback. Please let us know about your delivery experience by answering a few questions at royalmail.com/delivery-feedback

Automated message, please do not reply. "

Anyway, I went onto their Chat. Eventually, they said they could see the address where it was delivered but was not allowed to tell me.

On checking against an Argos C&C message arriving at about that time, I identified the item as being the one in question. "Buxton" in the RM hadn't sounded familiar to me.

Clearly the RM "Help" chat person could see that the delivery had been made to Argos C&C but would not tell me. What a crap service from Royal Mail!

Harold
Old 12th August 2017

Thanked 1,203 Times in 1,167 Posts
Liked 2,132 Times in 1,095 Posts

I have to hand it to AUSPOST with whom I have a registered account that has a tracking app for parcels. It is always spot on, lets you know exactly where the item is and when delivery will take place. In my case I have a PO Box and I am advised as soon as it is ready for collection. As far as I'm aware there are no other carriers of domestic parcels in Oz.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~ Calvin-
Old 12th August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Clearly the RM "Help" chat person could see that the delivery had been made to Argos C&C but would not tell me. What a crap service from Royal Mail!

Harold
That really irritates me. Surely, if someone else has my property I have a right to know who they are and where they live?

A neighbour had a problem with a courier who delivered some expensive items to the 'wrong address'. The tenant at the 'wrong address' denied all knowledge despite his front door being photographed by the driver's machine, and his name and signature being recorded.

That was bad enough, but the courier refused to tell our neighbour where his items were, and for several weeks refused to pay any compensation because they had been signed for.

Why does somebody who effectively steals your property have more rights to privacy than you do? The thief knew where the items should have gone but didn't make any attempt to contact their rightful owner.

I have known of similar cases where money goes astray as a result of fraud. In most cases the bank knows exactly where the money has gone, but the privacy of the fraudsters is more important than that of their victim, so the fraudsters are given valuable time to launder the money and sent it abroad.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 13th August 2017

Thanked 1,092 Times in 861 Posts
Liked 1,256 Times in 772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
I have to hand it to AUSPOST with whom I have a registered account that has a tracking app for parcels. It is always spot on, lets you know exactly where the item is and when delivery will take place. In my case I have a PO Box and I am advised as soon as it is ready for collection. As far as I'm aware there are no other carriers of domestic parcels in Oz.
Yeah, but when Olympus sent out the bonus SD card (in a box, mind you), which apparently was in batches, it left from the west of Sydney, took a holiday trip down to Sunshine (a suburb west of Melbourne) Vic. before it came back to me two days later.

Actually, Aust Parcel Post is usually pretty good.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Liked This Post:
pandora (13th August 2017)