Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 3rd February 2015

Liked 3,096 Times in 1,664 Posts
Piddler Flashing

I won't spoil it for you:

http://people.rit.edu/andpph/text-edgerton-piddler.html

Harold
OM USer (3rd February 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ralph Harwood (3rd February 2015)
Old 3rd February 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts
Re: Piddler Flashing

Hi there Harold!

I work on something very similar (although much smaller droplets) every day. Ours are printers which use a vibrating rod at 60kHz to break up the droplets, with an LED strobing also at 60kHz so we can see the droplets before they leave the printer head.

If you want to see the results, look at the bottom left of pretty much any envelope you receive through the post!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 4th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Hi there Harold!

I work on something very similar (although much smaller droplets) every day. Ours are printers which use a vibrating rod at 60kHz to break up the droplets, with an LED strobing also at 60kHz so we can see the droplets before they leave the printer head.

If you want to see the results, look at the bottom left of pretty much any envelope you receive through the post!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Thanks, Ralph. I learn something new every day.

I was going to be involved in using some lazer device to study pesticide droplets, several decades ago. It was the latest device but not under my control. The user had not completely commissioned it so it never happened.

Harold
Old 4th February 2015

Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Hi there Harold!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Hi Ralph, do you use domino inkjet arrays...as we use those at work and they sound exactly like yours
Old 4th February 2015

Liked 1,597 Times in 1,018 Posts

I did pretty much similar to the 'The Piddler' does some years ago when I was a science technician at a secondary school:

I attached a pipette to a rubber tube connected to the mains water outlet, with a domestic cistern valve in the rubber tube line. I then used a solenoid driven by 12V 50Hz operating the valve arm to interrupt the flow. With adjustment this produced a horizontal stream of droplets.

If the lab lights were switched off and the stream strobed, you could get a pretty effect of the droplets hanging in midair. If you fiddled with the strobe frequency you could get the droplets slowly travelling out of the pipette nozzle, or even better, travelling back to the nozzle.

A curious phenomena I noticed was that the droplets had shapes that varied according to their position in the stream, and at a certain position the droplet was always the same shape.

It was also useful to show that the horizontal velocity of the droplets was substantially the same, as evidenced by their their even horizontal spacing, whereas the vertical spacing changed owing to the acceleration due to gravity.

I took some shots with the Nikon Coolpix 995 I owned at the time (2003!):

Jim
Old 4th February 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Oh dear Jim, looks like you have "satelites" - the smaller droplet behind the main droplet in the stream. On our printers you can adjust the drive voltage to limit them (the viscosity and surface tension affects how the droplets form.

Hi there Phil - yes we have Domino A400 printers to give the orange (fluorescent) codes on normal sized letters and Videojet printers to print black codes on the large letters. Both use charged droplets passing through a pair of charged plates to deflect the droplets.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 5th February 2015

Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Oh dear Jim, looks like you have "satelites" - the smaller droplet behind the main droplet in the stream. On our printers you can adjust the drive voltage to limit them (the viscosity and surface tension affects how the droplets form.

Hi there Phil - yes we have Domino A400 printers to give the orange (fluorescent) codes on normal sized letters and Videojet printers to print black codes on the large letters. Both use charged droplets passing through a pair of charged plates to deflect the droplets.

Cheers,

Ralph.
We now have the domino bit jets....they have 274 separate jets but they are so fine they look like a fine strip of ink if you look with the naked eye.
If you magnify the jets you can see each individual stream of ink drops... very clever technology

P.s . Apologies to original poster for deviating from his subject
Old 5th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Angel View Post
We now have the domino bit jets....they have 274 separate jets but they are so fine they look like a fine strip of ink if you look with the naked eye.
If you magnify the jets you can see each individual stream of ink drops... very clever technology

P.s . Apologies to original poster for deviating from his subject
No apologies needed. My only agenda was to initiate dialogue.

Harold