Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,449 Times in 925 Posts
Re: Vintage Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I see it runs on batteries too. I bet that would cost!
Yes, it takes 8 'D' cells, but also runs on mains, which I usually did.

Jim
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 755 Times in 486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I see it runs on batteries too. I bet that would cost!

A friend has a few old portable valve radios which need a long-obsolete 90v high tension battery. He gets round the problem by connecting ten PP3s in series!
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
A friend has a few old portable valve radios which need a long-obsolete 90v high tension battery. He gets round the problem by connecting ten PP3s in series!
I guess that a Cockroft-Walton multiplier would also do it as the drain won't be much.

Jim
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 382 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Ooohhh I remember those batteries. Used to lug portable valve radios to the park to impress the girls back in the day ... worked at times too .

It was certainly not recommended to test them with your tongue (The batteries, I mean, not the girls ) ...edit ... then again
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 160 Times in 103 Posts

In my teens, I had a Philips EL3585 portable tape recorder - see
It was a remarkable design with two small (3" diameter) reels on top and was powered by 6 D-cells at the bottom. Unfortunately this was before the development of Dolby noise reduction, so sound quality was never great.

On a different subject, Jim mentioned the Cockroft-Walton multiplier. This needs AC or pulsed power to operate. Some portable equipment generated the pulsed power by means of a vibrator
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I think ten PP3s, some wire and some sticky tape would be rather simpler than the Cockroft-Walton solution! Back in the 60s my dad had a car radio (Smiths I think, but badged HMV) which used a vibratory converter to generate the HT voltage for the valves. It buzzed all the time which didn't matter much if the car was moving, but became annoying when parked with the engine off. No such things as transistors back then .

Then there were the ubiquitous ex-MOD "19 sets" beloved of radio hams, they used rotary converters which were effectively a combination of a motor and a dynamo. The transmitter half of the set needed a higher voltage than the receiver so when you pressed the transmit button a second much noisier converter sprang into life!
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 544 Times in 359 Posts

You’ve all transported me back to the 70s and listening to the wise old men I worked with. They must have been 50-60 then (OK, so it felt they were old when I was late teens) so I suspect some of you must have lied on that age survey!
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,053 Times in 1,359 Posts

Quote:
I think ten PP3s, some wire and some sticky tape would be rather simpler than the Cockroft-Walton solution! Back in the 60s my dad had a car radio (Smiths I think, but badged HMV) which used a vibratory converter to generate the HT voltage for the valves. It buzzed all the time which didn't matter much if the car was moving, but became annoying when parked with the engine off. No such things as transistors back then .

Then there were the ubiquitous ex-MOD "19 sets" beloved of radio hams, they used rotary converters which were effectively a combination of a motor and a dynamo. The transmitter half of the set needed a higher voltage than the receiver so when you pressed the transmit button a second much noisier converter sprang into life!
Yes indeed. They had a mechanical multivibrator which drive a step-up transformer as a crude inverter generating the 200 volts or so needed for the valves' anodes.

Later designs used germanium transistors in the audio/output stages but used 'low voltage' valves in the RF and IF stages.

The early transistor car radios retained output transformers which meant the transients created by disconnecting the loudspeakers when the radio was on invariably bu99ered the output transistors!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
I think ten PP3s, some wire and some sticky tape would be rather simpler than the Cockroft-Walton solution!
I remember building a Cockroft-Walton multiplier from a Wireless World (or Practical Electronics) design using a couple of OC81s driving a tiny mains transformer (must have been backwards) and a 'ladder' of diodes and capacitors. It was all very small and produced sparks that would punch through paper.

Jim
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 224 Times in 122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
We seem to go through a lot of radios that only last a few years. Roberts are the main culprits, we've had four I think that have had a very limited life. My wife bought me a Ruark a few years ago, nice set with good sound until the volume control had - well no control. So, I was bought a new set for Christmas from John Lewis, well written up by Which! and almost certainly made by Ruark. It's kind of OK but only just.

The only radio in the house that I really enjoy is one bought in the 1970's made by Hacker when I thought I was moving to Italy. FM, Long and Medium waves with two short wave bands. It's a dream and with a wooden frame, the sound quality is superb.

The Psion Organiser (mid-1980's) is still going strong despite being a museum piece. What's your old-time favourite?

David
Apologies for resurrecting this thread. My Christmas radio present bought from John Lewis is officially 'dead'. Total cr*p.

David
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 490 Times in 347 Posts

We have found FM reception with portable radios very poor with lots of interference. We now use internet radio distributed round the house, all the speakers are synced and no audible interference.

Probems are that the signal is 35 seconds behind the pips on FM and if the internet fails then the radio drops out, that is when the FM tuner in the hifi system is used (it has a rooftop aerial) with the volume turned up.

So far so good.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

The trouble with analogue radio now is that there are so many services vying for bandwidth which can interfere with reception, especially on older sets that were never designed to cope with current levels of interference from mobile phones, wi-fi, wireless doorbells etc. I live in a fringe area for FM reception and some portables work and some don't; none will get noise-free stereo. DAB is a non-starter without a roof aerial although I have one spot on a bedroom windowsill where a DAB portable works. For high quality reception I use internet radio as DAB sounds so awful on anything other than a basic portable. The BBC's 320kb audio streams are at least to my ears as good as, if not better than, FM.

My local radio shop kindly offered to fit me a DAB roof aerial for free to "see if it worked". I wish I'd had them put up an FM one instead!
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,318 Posts
Liked 1,183 Times in 802 Posts

FM is fine where we are but DAB can only be picked up on the top floor. Radio controlled clocks are much the same, one needs to be on the bedroom window sill twice a year.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,053 Times in 1,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
FM is fine where we are but DAB can only be picked up on the top floor. Radio controlled clocks are much the same, one needs to be on the bedroom window sill twice a year.
I am not a fan of DAB. The audio quality of FM is better to my ears unless listening on a portable.

Some other EU countries have a more advanced DAB network (DAB+ ?) which I'm told offers better audio quality, but for some reason it has passed us by.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 2 Weeks Ago

The problem with DAB is it's old technology now. MP2 compression and low bit rates combine to offer very poor sound quality by modern standards. As usual, we pioneer a new technology and everywhere else takes the idea and does it properly! On a recent trip down souht via the A1 and M1 I was amazed at how frequently the DAB signal dropped out, even in well populated areas. Unless I want to listen to a station that's not available on FM (rare, unless Test Match Special is on!) I stick to FM.