Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 15th February 2019

Liked 2,713 Times in 1,292 Posts
Re: Vintage Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Most car clocks now should be synchronised with RDS data, but as our daughter has found, this only works if you tune in to main BBC radio stations once in a while.
The thought of listening to Radio 2 for some time would drive (sic) me crazy. But do listen to radio 4 quite a lot. The car is now nearly 13 years old (Mazda RX8) so would that have been suitably equipped then??

My Flickr
Old 15th February 2019

Liked 756 Times in 487 Posts

Does the radio display the station name on FM? Can you get traffic info? If so then yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (15th February 2019)
Old 15th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Garrard's 'Transcription' decks such as the 301 and 401 were of very high quality, and were standard equipment in BBC studios and suchlike, but their consumer decks such as the SP25 were crap.

I didn't have problems with bearing play but the hum transmitted by the idler wheel from the motor and rumble from the bearings was no joke at all.
Agreed about the 401 at least, I've no experience of the 301. The SP25 was advertised as being of high quality (as it was for single records only, no autochanger) but as you rightly say, it was crap. The rumble was dreadful but as a 17yo who'd just left school it was all I could afford at the time.

At school there was a Connoisseur belt-drive turntable which had a synchronous motor that could start up in either direction at random, so as a result the on-off switch incorporated a rubber buffer which kicked the rim of the turntable so it started in the right direction!
Old 15th February 2019

Liked 2,713 Times in 1,292 Posts

Yes does all that...….But in the 9 years I have owned it, the dashboard clock has always gained a few mins each month.

Now, my little electric car (Citroen Zero) does not have a clock. I thought every gadget had a clock these days. I have had to stick an Ebay Chinese clock to the dashboard with Blu Tac………….

Sign of the (ha ha) times...………...

My Flickr
Old 15th February 2019

Liked 2,067 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Yes does all that...….But in the 9 years I have owned it, the dashboard clock has always gained a few mins each month.
There might be a setting somewhere...

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 15th February 2019

Yes, if I remember correctly my Saab had a setting to update the car clock from the RDS data and it defaulted to "off".
Old 15th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Agreed about the 401 at least, I've no experience of the 301. The SP25 was advertised as being of high quality (as it was for single records only, no autochanger) but as you rightly say, it was crap. The rumble was dreadful but as a 17yo who'd just left school it was all I could afford at the time.
I had the same problem at about the same age.

When I started work I spent most of my first month's pay on a second-hand Philips GA212 Electronic which I still have, and which still works perfectly some 45 years later!

I have been tempted by high-end Linn's and the like but I could never bring myself to part with the Philips. Interestingly, reading some online reviews recently it seems the deck is more highly regarded than I thought despite the brand name.

I currently have a Linn K9 in the headshell but have previously used a Shure V15 III.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 15th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Yes, if I remember correctly my Saab had a setting to update the car clock from the RDS data and it defaulted to "off".
I don't know about the current JLR models but the clock in my 2015 XF does not update itself, and there is no option for it to do so. JLR's explanation is that many of their vehicles regularly travel across international time zones that that most drivers would rather keep the same time. It is at least accurate.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 15th February 2019

Philips have made some very good stuff over the years, I vaguely remember that turntable. A lot of CD players, especially Marantz, use Philips transports. They along with Sony of course developed the Compact Disc system originally.

I remember reading somewhere that the majority of people who say they prefer the "warmth" of vinyl records to CDs have Linn Sondek turntables, so it's actually the turntable they like the sound of, not the record itself!

My current turntable (which doesn't get a lot of use) is a Michell Focus One with a Linn Basik arm and an A&R P77 cartridge. I'm currently ripping my CD collection to .flac files so the whole lot will fit on a 1TB Seagate USB hard drive which, volume-wise, is probably no bigger than a single CD case! Played on a Raspberry Pi computer with a HifiBerry DAC+ Pro the sound is virtually indistinguishable from my Cambridge Audio CD player.
Old 15th February 2019

Liked 561 Times in 372 Posts

I think my first ‘proper’ record deck was possibly a BSR MacDonald - seem to think it was a competitor of the Garrard SP25, forget the model, I might then have had an SP25 Mk 2 (if such a beast was sold). Moved onto a Goldring Lenco somethingorother, finally getting a Technics parallel tracking thing, which I’ve still got but no amp / pre-amp to connect it to....oh! And no vinyl that I could or would dare to lay my hands on.
Old 15th February 2019

Liked 690 Times in 465 Posts

I guess we must be of similar vintage as I started with a Garrard SP25 as well. Got fed up with it pretty quickly, I think it got replaced with another Garrard with a rather odd name like Module 86SB. That served well for several years but was belt drive and the belt stretched and I got fed up replacing it. Then about 30 years ago I replaced everything with Technics stuff which also served well for a long time, and now I have a Rega Planar 2.

It does the job but hardly gets any use these days. Being a peasant I think CDs sound just as good as vinyl and are a damn sight more convenient, and most of the stuff I like has been reissued on CD as the record companies mined the wrinkly rockers' back catalogue.

My first monthly pay - all of £70 of it - went on an Akai 4000DS reel-to-reel tape deck. I tried it a little while back on an old tape and my goodness, it sounded awful!

John
Old 15th February 2019

Liked 561 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
I guess we must be of similar vintage as I started with a Garrard SP25 as well. Got fed up with it pretty quickly, I think it got replaced with another Garrard with a rather odd name like Module 86SB. That served well for several years but was belt drive and the belt stretched and I got fed up replacing it. Then about 30 years ago I replaced everything with Technics stuff which also served well for a long time, and now I have a Rega Planar 2.

It does the job but hardly gets any use these days. Being a peasant I think CDs sound just as good as vinyl and are a damn sight more convenient, and most of the stuff I like has been reissued on CD as the record companies mined the wrinkly rockers' back catalogue.

My first monthly pay - all of £70 of it - went on an Akai 4000DS reel-to-reel tape deck. I tried it a little while back on an old tape and my goodness, it sounded awful!

John
I guess.

I always craved a Revox tape machine but it was far too expensive, despite having American family friends who has access to PX prices. Had a succession of cassette decks, starting with, I think, an Akai and next it was various Sonys.
They earned their keep, recording John Peel most nights for years. Wish I still had those tapes!
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (15th February 2019)
Old 15th February 2019

Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,321 Posts
Liked 1,204 Times in 808 Posts

I'm pretty certain the family home had a Garrard Sp25 Mk IV. When the head unit went I upgrade it to a better one with saphire needles. I don't recall any sound issues with it. My early pay packets bought me a Sansui Radio/Amp and a matching Cassette player both of which I still have, although the radio now has a serious hissing noise on the audio. If I want decent Hi-Fi I use our stackable Sony system from 20 years ago.

My car has integrated touch screen RDS/Traffic & SatNav but I still have to set the clock manually.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Old 15th February 2019

Liked 1,452 Times in 927 Posts

I've still got a portable Sony TC-800 reel-to-reel I bought in 1968:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_sony_tc800.html

Jim
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (16th February 2019)
Old 16th February 2019

I see it runs on batteries too. I bet that would cost!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing