Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,291 Times in 634 Posts
The Future of Cars

The global car industry has been found complacent and many governments have not helped with their ill thought through legislative changes.

Electric cars just don't work for people who live outside a city and have to do long journeys. Just look at what's happening in France.

The future is going to be different. Hydrogen Cell - maybe, or what?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/02/...-motor-giants/

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,701 Times in 1,287 Posts
Re: The Future of Cars

Good article and a summation of the present situation. As an electric car driver/owner, I know they are not the answer to all motoring requirements, but certainly suit me with my retired lifestyle. A step away from the ICE......

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Gate Keeper (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,056 Times in 1,361 Posts

Thanks for that link to an interesting article.

The private motor car has brought tremendous freedoms, but like aeroplanes and smartphones life was a lot better when not everyone was using them all the time. Cars have also brought social isolation; perhaps not on the same scale as smartphones, but they have changed the way that we interact with one another.

Electric cars probably suit most people for most of the time. We tend to think of family holidays and other long journeys, but the reality is that 99% of car journeys could easily be completed on less than a full charge. However, I remain far from convinced that electric cars are sustainable in the longer term when 'everyone' is driving them.

The electricity has to come from somewhere and the battery production process is far from eco-friendly. There are also significant losses in electricity generation, transmission and battery charging which make electric cars rather less attractive than they seem. Added to which, heating, lighting and air conditioning all reduce battery range, whereas these are effectively 'free' in ICE cars.

I believe electric cars are still exempt from Road Fund Tax, and of course there is no Road Fuel Duty on electricity, but surely that will end when the number of electric cars on our roads exceeds the critical mass? It would be almost impossible to tax electricity for road use so some form of road charging seems inevitable at some point.

I believe it was wrong of government to announce that ICE cars will no longer be sold after 2040 just as it was wrong of Gordon Brown to incentivise the use of diesel cars 'to save the planet'. I presume
government ministers had also overlooked valuable export markets such as Australia and the USA where electric cars are less likely to suit travel needs. It was also wrong of governments in the 1960's to decimate our public transport network and we are still living with the consequences of those decisions.

Unfortunately 20th century man has a short and undistinguished history of making pollution cleaner and less obvious, all leading us to present day worries about respiratory health, environmental pollution and global warming. Creating 'even more' pollution at a power station 100 miles away and in lithium mines on the other side of the planet might reduce one problem but it won't solve the others.

Rather than making cars 'cleaner' it would be much better, in my view, if we could find ways of using them a lot less. After all, do we really need to make a 50 mile journey to an office or call centre every day when we could do the same job at home in this connected age? Better public transport would also help. That way those who really do need to travel could do so much more efficiently on much less congested roads.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Greytop (4 Weeks Ago), wornish (4 Weeks Ago), Zuiko (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Thanked 3,063 Times in 2,381 Posts
Liked 4,278 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Thanks for that link to an interesting article.

The private motor car has brought tremendous freedoms, but like aeroplanes and smartphones life was a lot better when not everyone was using them all the time. Cars have also brought social isolation; perhaps not on the same scale as smartphones, but they have changed the way that we interact with one another.

Electric cars probably suit most people for most of the time. We tend to think of family holidays and other long journeys, but the reality is that 99% of car journeys could easily be completed on less than a full charge. However, I remain far from convinced that electric cars are sustainable in the longer term when 'everyone' is driving them.

The electricity has to come from somewhere and the battery production process is far from eco-friendly. There are also significant losses in electricity generation, transmission and battery charging which make electric cars rather less attractive than they seem. Added to which, heating, lighting and air conditioning all reduce battery range, whereas these are effectively 'free' in ICE cars.

I believe electric cars are still exempt from Road Fund Tax, and of course there is no Road Fuel Duty on electricity, but surely that will end when the number of electric cars on our roads exceeds the critical mass? It would be almost impossible to tax electricity for road use so some form of road charging seems inevitable at some point.

I believe it was wrong of government to announce that ICE cars will no longer be sold after 2040 just as it was wrong of Gordon Brown to incentivise the use of diesel cars 'to save the planet'. I presume
government ministers had also overlooked valuable export markets such as Australia and the USA where electric cars are less likely to suit travel needs. It was also wrong of governments in the 1960's to decimate our public transport network and we are still living with the consequences of those decisions.

Unfortunately 20th century man has a short and undistinguished history of making pollution cleaner and less obvious, all leading us to present day worries about respiratory health, environmental pollution and global warming. Creating 'even more' pollution at a power station 100 miles away and in lithium mines on the other side of the planet might reduce one problem but it won't solve the others.

Rather than making cars 'cleaner' it would be much better, in my view, if we could find ways of using them a lot less. After all, do we really need to make a 50 mile journey to an office or call centre every day when we could do the same job at home in this connected age? Better public transport would also help. That way those who really do need to travel could do so much more efficiently on much less congested roads.
I wish you were the Minister for Transport!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4 Weeks Ago

If we invested in our internet infrastructure to get speeds of say 50Mb download / 10Mb upload to 95% of households then many jobs could be done from home, not just call centers. The current target is I think a min of 2MB download to 98% of households is just not good enough.

Public transport outside of any city is a real challenge for working people, simply taxing cars without providing any alternative is not the way forward.

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Public transport outside of any city is a real challenge for working people, simply taxing cars without providing any alternative is not the way forward.
From my own experience public transport in the UK is ages behind most of mainland Europe where it is a way of everyday life. More importantly public transport isn't seen as a legacy from the past but as 'how we do things today'. Oddly enough, modern 'apps' like Google Maps make public transport far more useful and accessible than it has ever been, if only the transport was there when we needed it.

Many of our local councils also seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that closing car parks and painting yellow lines everywhere will 'encourage' (or force) drivers to use public transport. In reality it has helped to kill our High Streets.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the UK has the highest percentage of online sales (Vs the High Street) of any country in Europe, and possibly beyond. I cannot help but wonder what part our local councils have played in that?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago), OM USer (4 Weeks Ago), wornish (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I wish you were the Minister for Transport!
Politics is a thankless task nowadays but I wouldn't mind giving it a go. I don't know whether having an active interest in transport would qualify anyone for the post of Transport Minister though as we have had at least one (Barbara Castle) who didn't drive, and of course Gordon Brown didn't drive either.

Then we had the real villain, Earnest Marples, who made his fortune from road building and oversaw the Beeching cuts. Harold Wilson, being a 'moderniser' finished the job off for him.

We have a real need for long-term, strategic joined-up thinking about transport in this country without political bias towards the unions or big business; but I somehow doubt that we will ever get it.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
wornish (4 Weeks Ago), Zuiko (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 549 Times in 363 Posts

Quote:
If we invested in our internet infrastructure to get speeds of say 50Mb download / 10Mb upload to 95% of households then many jobs could be done from home, not just call centers.
That’s always touted as a goal but surely it just increases the social isolation, plus you’re going to have people who take the wee and see it as an excuse to do nothing all day. It’s very difficult to manage and you’ve got to have a lot of trust in your team. Loneliness can become a problem, plus there’s that loss of cameraderie (sp?). It’s gonna suit some people more than others and risks storing up problems for the future. Finally there will be issues around H&S where people will expect ‘work’ to provide them with a safe and comfortable working environment at home. It’s not as straightforward as it first sounds.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:

Many of our local councils also seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that closing car parks and painting yellow lines everywhere will 'encourage' (or force) drivers to use public transport. In reality it has helped to kill our High Streets.
I’m not sure if it’s still a thing but a few years ago the various Planning departments were actively stopping new developments or redevelopments from having the same number of parking spaces as properties, let alone more or spares for visitors. Encouraging drivers to use public transport usually fails at the first hurdle simply because there is no usable public transport in smaller towns or rural areas. If you want to encourage the use of the high street then you need cheap or better still free parking and you need to price the business rates at a level that means the businesses can actually make a profit and remain on the high street. We’ve seen many new businesses start up and benefit from a special rate in those early days only to be driven away when the rates rise (yes, they would have known but give them credit for giving it a try!)

Basically the country is Donald Ducked.
wornish (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
That’s always touted as a goal but surely it just increases the social isolation, plus you’re going to have people who take the wee and see it as an excuse to do nothing all day. It’s very difficult to manage and you’ve got to have a lot of trust in your team. Loneliness can become a problem, plus there’s that loss of cameraderie (sp?). It’s gonna suit some people more than others and risks storing up problems for the future. Finally there will be issues around H&S where people will expect ‘work’ to provide them with a safe and comfortable working environment at home. It’s not as straightforward as it first sounds.
I agree it's not easy. For the last ten years of my working life, I worked from home and managed a team of people spread all over the world. This was before Facetime so everything was done via conference calls. The challenge of isolation is the tough one to fix. As for trusting the people to actually do some work that was never an issue surprisingly, in fact, they probably spent more hours working than the did if they traveled to an office.

The alternative answer that we all should live in a cities and commute to a job also has its challenges.

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
I agree it's not easy. For the last ten years of my working life, I worked from home and managed a team of people spread all over the world. This was before Facetime so everything was done via conference calls. The challenge of isolation is the tough one to fix. As for trusting the people to actually do some work that was never an issue surprisingly, in fact, they probably spent more hours working than the did if they traveled to an office.

The alternative answer that we all should live in a cities and commute to a job also has its challenges.
The trust thing probably affects people trying to manage lower grade workers. I’ve managed people who were always ‘busy’, were praised by the people they did work for, yet were actually much less effective than others who ‘just got on with it’. If they spent less time moaning about how busy they were and actually tackling the job then it would all have been so much better. So some people can benefit themselves and the ‘company’ while others less so!
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I totally agree about the social isolation. I work from home. I don't miss the office politics but I do miss working in a large organisation and the support that it gives. But is commuting to work every day any more sustainable?

There was a time when the majority of people lived within walking or cycling distance from their work but a variety of factors have led to workers living much further away; in some cases more than 100 miles.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
TimP (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
I totally agree about the social isolation. I work from home. I don't miss the office politics but I do miss working in a large organisation and the support that it gives. But is commuting to work every day any more sustainable?

There was a time when the majority of people lived within walking or cycling distance from their work but a variety of factors have led to workers living much further away; in some cases more than 100 miles.
When I retired I definitely missed the hustle and bustle of a busy ICT dept, the banter, black humour and general friendship. Working from home and being virtually part time has helped me adjust but I still miss it. I think commuting should be fine, providing it’s not a ridiculous distance, which for some obviously it is. I had a 30 mile commute but it was an easy drive with very little, if any, traffic. I’d hate to lose my freedom without a car but it’s only a matter of time for me anyway. Hopefully by then the public transport issue will have been dealt with and we’ll be able to get anywhere within reason for tuppence!
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Hopefully by then the public transport issue will have been dealt with and we’ll be able to get anywhere within reason for tuppence!
Oh aye! I remember when North Sea Gas was going to be 'almost free' once the rigs and pipework had been paid for.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Oh aye! I remember when North Sea Gas was going to be 'almost free' once the rigs and pipework had been paid for.
And the general public lap this stuff up and believe every word of it!
Gate Keeper (4 Weeks Ago), Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago), wornish (4 Weeks Ago)