Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 19th December 2018

Liked 2,776 Times in 1,521 Posts
Nottingham Knockers: A Threat to You at Home

I was assaulted om my own doorstep by one of these thugs on Monday evening (after dark).

https://www.safelocaltrades.com/cons...orstep-pedlars

This individual flashed one of the rehabilitation documents at the start, which I took to be genuine. He kept complaining about always having doors slammed in his face and pleading with me not to dismiss him as “not my problem”.

The individual would not take “no” and kept ringing the bell every time I shut the door. Finally, he spat at me, only my slamming the door saving me. I then stepped just outside to point up our drive and tell him, once more, to leave. He then took up a boxer’s sparing stance and threatened me and then grabbed me. There was a tussle, although no blows were exchanged, my wife appearing just then, to outnumber him.

I am 73 years old, as is my wife. He was clearly surprised that I was as strong as him, I might not have been. I am on blood pressure pills, or the outcome might have been serious for me. He eventually left and we called the police. It seems that they were already in the area due to another report of the same individual active in nearby Micklands Road.

This is third such individual to bother us over the past two or three years. The first one was about 18 stone of the most bulging muscles I have seen on any fully clothed man! My wife thought that the one here on Monday was one she had seen before. I believe they have been a problem recently in Henley.

There needs to be specific legislation to protect us from this threat in our own homes. This can only be effective via a mandatory minimum custodial sentence.

My actual concern was not fear. I was an instructor in the martial arts in the 1980s. It was that I could end up arrested for assaulting him when trying to defend myself, my family and my home.

Here are a few links to indicate that you are not safe anywhere from these:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/172...r-near-romsey/

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/17...get-residents/

https://interests.me/org/deachy/story/19222

Harold
Darkroom (19th December 2018), DavyG (19th December 2018), Gate Keeper (19th December 2018), Jax (19th December 2018), Jim Ford (19th December 2018), MJ224 (19th December 2018), Naughty Nigel (19th December 2018), OM USer (19th December 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (19th December 2018)
Old 19th December 2018

Liked 1,446 Times in 924 Posts
Re: Nottingham Knockers: A Threat to You at Home

Police? Ah yes, I remember them! Didn't they used to go round keeping law and order? I wonder what happened to them - I thought that they were rather a good idea!

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Gate Keeper (19th December 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Darkroom (19th December 2018), Internaut (19th December 2018), OM USer (19th December 2018), TimP (19th December 2018)
Old 19th December 2018

Liked 135 Times in 87 Posts

I can fully appreciate your anger and frustration Harold plus your concern of being treated as the guilty party if you had needed to defend yourself further. The possibility of these offenses receiving a custodial sentence is extremely slim even if you had been injured. For an assault to be treated seriously by police there has to be obvious signs of injury such as serious cuts or bruising otherwise they state it is a Civil Matter.

Police in this area no longer even attend incidents of car theft or house burglary, simply providing a crime number over the phone for insurance purposes. Interestingly, a few weeks later, a letter arrives asking if you would like to attend a counselling session due to your unfortunate experience.

We are considering installing a video speaker device on the front door so there is no need to open it unless the caller is known.

The situation won't improve any time soon.

Darkroom
Old 19th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Police? Ah yes, I remember them! Didn't they used to go round keeping law and order? I wonder what happened to them - I thought that they were rather a good idea!

Jim
Yes, they brought back childhood memories. Our son was 7 years old before he saw a PC on the beat.

Harold
Jim Ford (19th December 2018)
Old 19th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkroom View Post
I can fully appreciate your anger and frustration Harold plus your concern of being treated as the guilty party if you had needed to defend yourself further. The possibility of these offenses receiving a custodial sentence is extremely slim even if you had been injured. For an assault to be treated seriously by police there has to be obvious signs of injury such as serious cuts or bruising otherwise they state it is a Civil Matter.
I'm not interested in my case so much as getting these vermin (the correct term) off the streets.

Harold
Darkroom (19th December 2018)
Old 19th December 2018

Thanked 1,286 Times in 1,199 Posts
Liked 1,965 Times in 954 Posts

Nasty business, glad you are ok Harold.
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (19th December 2018)
Old 19th December 2018

Liked 2,044 Times in 1,353 Posts

We suffered a similar incident about two years ago when a bunch of these characters knocked on doors using similar tactics, trying to sell overpriced car washing cloths and similar.

They introduced themselves as 'ex-offenders' and were clearly using this tactic to intimidate. They also claimed that as they were on probation they were on government business and did not have to abode by our clearly displayed 'No Cold Caller' signs.

I made it clear from the outset that I wasn't interested but the caller insisted on emptying his bag of tat onto our doorstep. When I told him that I had no cash and didn't want to buy anything I received a mouthful of abuse from the young thug who seemed to have something of a tantrum as he walked along our drive to meet up with three or four comrades who had been doing business along the street.

I called the police, who it seems had already been called by a neighbour. The caller there had pretended to be attacked by their dog, a Golden Retriever, and was writhing around in agony on their front lawn threatening to phone the police unless he was given money. Our neighbour saved him a job and called the police himself, whereupon the toerag made a miraculous recovery from his injuries and 'legged it'!

Other neighbours had also called the police owing to their threatening and abusive behaviour.

In fairness the police did come out quite promptly and trawled around the streets for an hour or two. They didn't catch anyone but they did say that the villains are known to them from surrounding areas. Thankfully they haven't been back since.

More recently there has been a spate of car thefts and attempted car thefts around the village. These have involved breaking into properties for keys, and in two cases the thieves stole keys to move other vehicles to get to those they wanted!

These thefts were followed by some suspicions characters walking the streets who appeared to be spraying weedkiller - at around 7 am on a frosty December morning! One of our neighbours, who is a keen Gardner, challenged one of the group who didn't reply, but left the scene very quickly. Their van, a blue Ford Transit, had not been registered with the DVLA for some time apparently.

They are still at large but the police reckon they were trying to 'frostjack' cars left running on driveways.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Jax (19th December 2018)
Old 19th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Nasty business, glad you are ok Harold.
Thanks. My MP is going to try to find some Parliamentary time for the issue.

Harold
Old 19th December 2018

Liked 753 Times in 485 Posts

Makes me grateful for living in a rural area with minimal crime apart from the occasional quad bike theft. Glad you're OK Harold.
Old 19th December 2018

Liked 503 Times in 230 Posts

A shocking and traumatic experience. Thank goodness Harold you weren’t hurt. Several years ago, whilst working in a rehab unit in Hackney, I was set upon by 2 ex-offenders who had gotten into an argument over their supper, both turned on me when I tried to break up it up. Just one other member of staff was on duty. I defended myself and managed to put one down onto the floor. I had done Judo. I shouted to the staff to call the police, an ambulance and to lock herself in the office. I was given a thorough beating, punched in the face and kicked in the stomach. The emergency services came quick. The attack was over in about 15 minutes but it seemed a lifetime and took it out of me, physically and mentally. The attackers didn’t run away or put up a fight when police came. One of the attackers, got 18 months inside and the other was sent to a secure unit. I was not prosecuted for defending myself.

These events when they happen without any warning are quite stressful and not long after the attack I was diagnosed with an abdominal aortic aneurysm. For that reason I decided it was too risky to continue working in that environment and ultimately I left. I was having flashbacks about what happened, whereby I replayed the attack over and over. I received a great deal of support from my employers and the police were sympathetic. If you experience flashbacks, it’s quite normal and being able to talk about it does help. Having a CCTV system installed around the outside of your house is a visual deterrent. I had one professionally fitted to my former London home 2 years ago, a WiFi system with a 500GB hard drive £600 to give you an idea about the costs. I am really sorry this has happened to you.

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
The Following User Says Thank You to Gate Keeper For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (19th December 2018)
Old 19th December 2018

Liked 804 Times in 378 Posts

Harold you have my sympathy and best wishes. I am glad you did not get hurt by this individual.

Thank you for the warning, I never engage with people at the door, or on the phone. I will warn my wife who is less direct with callers.

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 19th December 2018

Liked 2,044 Times in 1,353 Posts

The even more worrying aspect of these household events is that the offenders often use such opportunities to 'case a joint' and may well return to burgle a property or worse.

We later learned that someone in the next street, a retired Social Worker, 'felt sorry for the boy' and gave him £10. I think he soon realised his mistake when the young thug returned later the same day with one of his comrades to demand more.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 19th December 2018

Liked 135 Times in 87 Posts

We used to have a photo of our cross Rottweiler Mastiff on the front door with a statement below "He Can Reach The Front Gate In 3 Seconds... Can You ? "

It seemed effective.

Darkroom
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (19th December 2018), OM USer (19th December 2018)
Old 19th December 2018

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Horrible tale, glad that you got through it OK. Something is wrong with police priorities these days - protecting people from this sort of thing should me near the top of the list.
Old 19th December 2018

Liked 1,281 Times in 303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
I was assaulted om my own doorstep by one of these thugs on Monday evening (after dark).

https://www.safelocaltrades.com/cons...orstep-pedlars

This individual flashed one of the rehabilitation documents at the start, which I took to be genuine. He kept complaining about always having doors slammed in his face and pleading with me not to dismiss him as “not my problem”.

The individual would not take “no” and kept ringing the bell every time I shut the door. Finally, he spat at me, only my slamming the door saving me. I then stepped just outside to point up our drive and tell him, once more, to leave. He then took up a boxer’s sparing stance and threatened me and then grabbed me. There was a tussle, although no blows were exchanged, my wife appearing just then, to outnumber him.

I am 73 years old, as is my wife. He was clearly surprised that I was as strong as him, I might not have been. I am on blood pressure pills, or the outcome might have been serious for me. He eventually left and we called the police. It seems that they were already in the area due to another report of the same individual active in nearby Micklands Road.

This is third such individual to bother us over the past two or three years. The first one was about 18 stone of the most bulging muscles I have seen on any fully clothed man! My wife thought that the one here on Monday was one she had seen before. I believe they have been a problem recently in Henley.

There needs to be specific legislation to protect us from this threat in our own homes. This can only be effective via a mandatory minimum custodial sentence.

My actual concern was not fear. I was an instructor in the martial arts in the 1980s. It was that I could end up arrested for assaulting him when trying to defend myself, my family and my home.

Here are a few links to indicate that you are not safe anywhere from these:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/172...r-near-romsey/

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/17...get-residents/

https://interests.me/org/deachy/story/19222

Harold
Sorry to hear of this disturbing event Harold, I’m glad you’re okay.

Dave